New Shure SE215 - First Impressions
Aug 16, 2016 at 10:32 AM Post #1,771 of 1,937
One thing about the SE215 and other Shure IEMs is though I wouldn't doubt they are water resistant enough for sweaty musicians and/or gym-goers, their nozzle is rather thin. If sweat, diluted ear wax and other gunk gets trapped inside, that'll probably kill it eventually. I own a SE215 Blue, but don't exercise with it because of that fear. I just use mine for commuting/travel.
One thing that might help though is using the foam tips while on stage / exercising. This is just a guess, but the foam tips might help soak up the nasty stuff in the ear, preventing some of it from entering the earphone and damaging the drivers or clogging up the nozzle. Gross idea, I know, but hey this thought process comes with the territory. Also, very expensive in the long-term.
I'll agree with the other person who said it, get something else like the Jaybird X2, MEE Audio M6, ATH-IM50, etc if you want something for work-outs.

Aug 24, 2016 at 9:16 PM Post #1,773 of 1,937
First off... I like bass. I have the se215 special edition with an added headphone amp (smsl sap5).

I strongly recommend an amp for these headphones. Cellphone output is too low for my taste, and an added amp really shows what these headphones can deliver.

Forgive me if this has already been mentioned, not enough time ATM to go through the entirety of this thread.

Aug 26, 2016 at 3:34 AM Post #1,776 of 1,937
Are these better than the ME electronics M6 pro..??

I haven't tried the M6 Pro, but I own the M6 Sport and suspect the two are very similar. The M6 Sport, as far as I know, just doesn't have a detachable cable and also doesn't come with as many accessories and the lifetime replacement plan. I own the Shure SE215 Special Edition and have tried the regular SE215 once.
Here's what I can tell you based on what I know:
The M6 is not necessarily 'better', depending on what your definition of superior is. Between the 3 earphones (M6, SE215 and SE215 Special Edition), all 3 have pretty different sound signatures, not to mention they're all priced differently.
1) M6 Pro:
Whichever way you want to split it, the M6 will give you the most bank for buck. Its sound is also the most energetic out of the 3, having the most forward mids. However, it can sound a bit splashy and uncontrolled, which can be painful depending on how sensitive your ears are.
2) SE215 (Original $99 version):
The original SE215, in my opinion, is the most balanced of the 3 earphones. The original SE215 focuses on mids (vocals, guitars, brass, etc), with roll-off in the treble. It also has the least bass. If you want something 'accurate', the original SE215 is what I'll pick between these 3 earphones.
3) SE215 Special Edition:
The Special Edition SE215 is the most expensive, but is the least "technical" sounding. It is dark sounding, with a lot of mid-bass, and is warm with lush, smooth mids and rolled-off treble. If you want to listen to all the small details, the Special Edition SE215 will be the least suitable, but if you want a very relaxing IEM with good isolation for portable use, the Special Edition SE215 is a good choice.

If you're open to more suggestions, I'll recommend for you to consider the Audio Technica ATH-E40 and/or the ATH-IM70. Both are the same price as the SE215 at $99.
The E40 sounds somewhat similar to the M6, but is more refined, much less splashy.
The IM70 leans more to the warmer side, with very very smooth presentation yet retaining detail. The IM70 is my personal favorite IEM at $99.
Sorry if this has been an info dump, but hope I've helped. Feel free to ask more questions if you need any clarification.

Aug 26, 2016 at 4:03 AM Post #1,777 of 1,937
I recommend the VSD3s. Fantastic sound quality for the price and many agree it is better than the se215 for less than half the price (More detail, cleaner bass, more soundstage, more highs) The only problem is the cable build quality which lacks strain relieves but other than that really good.

Aug 26, 2016 at 8:29 AM Post #1,778 of 1,937
  I recommend the VSD3s. Fantastic sound quality for the price and many agree it is better than the se215 for less than half the price (More detail, cleaner bass, more soundstage, more highs) The only problem is the cable build quality which lacks strain relieves but other than that really good.

Yup will second that the new VSD3S (Version 2) is really good. It's my pick for favorite IEM under US $70 along with the Zero Audio Carbo Tenore.
The Vsonic VSD3S V2 does have more sound stage, much more bass, and more treble extension than the original SE215. However, the VSD3S is also more sibilant, which can make it uncomfortable for long-term listening.
While the SE215 aims for smoothness and accuracy (relative to the Shure IEM line-up), the VSD3S aims to be more fun. And the VSD3S is much, much more fun than the SE215,, being significantly more exciting and engaging for modern pop, electronic, rock, etc, but at the cost of being a bit more fatiguing.
The SE215 is also more durable and has a detachable cable. The current VSD3S does not.
So @shreyans215 in some regards, the VSD3S is 'better', but it depends on what you want, how much you're willing to spend, and how 'safe' of an option you're looking for.

Aug 26, 2016 at 9:42 AM Post #1,779 of 1,937

I haven't tried the M6 Pro, but I own the M6 Sport and suspect the two are very similar. The M6 Sport, as far as I know, just doesn't have a detachable cable and also doesn't come with as many accessories and the lifetime replacement plan. I own the Shure SE215 Special Edition and have tried the regular SE215 once.
Here's what I can tell you based on what I know:
The M6 is not necessarily 'better', depending on what your definition of superior is. Between the 3 earphones (M6, SE215 and SE215 Special Edition), all 3 have pretty different sound signatures, not to mention they're all priced differently.
1) M6 Pro:
Whichever way you want to split it, the M6 will give you the most bank for buck. Its sound is also the most energetic out of the 3, having the most forward mids. However, it can sound a bit splashy and uncontrolled, which can be painful depending on how sensitive your ears are.
2) SE215 (Original $99 version):
The original SE215, in my opinion, is the most balanced of the 3 earphones. The original SE215 focuses on mids (vocals, guitars, brass, etc), with roll-off in the treble. It also has the least bass. If you want something 'accurate', the original SE215 is what I'll pick between these 3 earphones.
3) SE215 Special Edition:
The Special Edition SE215 is the most expensive, but is the least "technical" sounding. It is dark sounding, with a lot of mid-bass, and is warm with lush, smooth mids and rolled-off treble. If you want to listen to all the small details, the Special Edition SE215 will be the least suitable, but if you want a very relaxing IEM with good isolation for portable use, the Special Edition SE215 is a good choice.

If you're open to more suggestions, I'll recommend for you to consider the Audio Technica ATH-E40 and/or the ATH-IM70. Both are the same price as the SE215 at $99.
The E40 sounds somewhat similar to the M6, but is more refined, much less splashy.
The IM70 leans more to the warmer side, with very very smooth presentation yet retaining detail. The IM70 is my personal favorite IEM at $99.
Sorry if this has been an info dump, but hope I've helped. Feel free to ask more questions if you need any clarification.

not at all an info dump....its really very helpful and thanks a lot...i did considered the suggestions u gave and liked the ath-im70....its for a lesser price compared to the shure se215.....but liked the 215's for its looks over the ath-im70.......but one thing is scaring me is the plastic eartip holder....does that breaks easily.....???....plzz help....bcoz spending 6500 just for few months doesnt makes sense....secondly...i can take my budget up till 7500....suggest me the best uve experienced till date......

Aug 26, 2016 at 9:43 AM Post #1,780 of 1,937
not at all an info dump....its really very helpful and thanks a lot...i did considered the suggestions u gave and liked the ath-im70....its for a lesser price compared to the shure se215.....but liked the 215's for its looks over the ath-im70.......but one thing is scaring me is the plastic eartip holder....does that breaks easily.....???....plzz help....bcoz spending 6500 just for few months doesnt makes sense....secondly...i can take my budget up till 7500....suggest me the best uve experienced till date......

Aug 26, 2016 at 9:54 AM Post #1,781 of 1,937

I've had my se215 for almost an year now, and i haven't had failures yet, either on the cable or the ear pieces. The se215 are built like tanks, really, really durable. And they even come with a carrying pouch, making it almost impossible to break them even if you keep them in your pockets like me.

Aug 27, 2016 at 3:06 AM Post #1,782 of 1,937

When you said you like the IM70, did you mean you tried it? The IM70 can be a bit fussy to wear so if you actually managed to demo it and liked it then that'll make things slightly easier.
Also, when you talk about spending "6500" or "7500", what currency are you talking about? Seems like it might be Japanese Yen you're talking about there.
The Shure SE215 is not fragile by any means, it is fairly durable. However, the nozzles (ear tip holders) have been known to snap off if you're not careful. They're pretty thin and may break if you handle the earphones roughly while changing ear tips. That said, the cable on the Shure is one of the best around.
Meanwhile, the IM70 cables, while not bad, do have issues. The ear guides have been known to snap with people who treat their earphones with less care. The E40 is very much the same.
Assuming your budget is at US $99, I think I'll personally not consider the M6 Pro and focus between the SE215, the IM70 and the E40. All three have pleasing sound signatures, all are roughly the same price (depending on where you get them from), all are relatively durable, and all three are good in their own right. I'm not including the Vsonic GR07 in this list because its sound signature isn't always the most agreeable with people, it's pretty sibilant.
I can't tell you which is the 'best' I've heard, because best is subjective. What I can do is elaborate on each in more detail and compare between the three based on my personal opinion.
1) Shure SE215 (original):
- The most durable overall
- However, nozzle has been noted to snap off when handled roughly
- Sound: focus on mids (guitars, vocals, brass, etc), little bass and treble emphasis. Very smooth and pleasing, albeit a bit boring sounding.
- Also comes with the best selection of (and most practical) accessories
- Recommendation: If you aren't particularly bothered with taking of your earphones (e.g. keeping them in a case after use), then the SE215 are the ones most likely to hold up well in the long term. Shure also has excellent customer service based on customers' feedback.
2) Audio Technica ATH-IM70:
- While the ear pieces themselves are pretty durable, cable ear guides have been known to snap when handled roughly (i.e. not storing in case when not in use)
- Sound: very smooth and liquid mids, slight treble roll-off, thick but not overbearing bass. I tend to recommend the IM70 the most at its price because most people I know find it very agreeable and easy to listen to, being very non-fatiguing yet retaining a good amount of detail. It is more detailed sounding and has more bass than the SE215, but the SE215 sounds cleaner and more 'accurate'.
- Recommendation: If you can take care of your IEMs, the IM70 will last a good long while, and will provide a good balance between relaxed and engaging sound. As I've said, the IM70 is my personal favorite at this price.
3) Audio Technica ATH-E40:
- Same comments about cable as the IM70. While they use different connectors, the build of the cable is pretty much identical.
- Sound: The most energetic out of the three. If you want more engagement and excitement in your music than what the IM70 can offer, the E40 is clean, controlled, and detailed. The E40 also has the most bass out of the three. Its only downfall is that it can sound very slightly harsh or splashy at louder volumes and with poorly mastered tracks.
- Recommendation: If you tried the IM70 and found it too relaxed, the E40 could be a good alternative.

That's just my opinion between the three. If you're very concerned about sound and durability, I wouldn't concern myself too much with how the earphones look. But that's just my personal opinion.
If you have any more questions, feel free to ask more. :)

Aug 27, 2016 at 7:06 AM Post #1,783 of 1,937
im speaking about 6500 to 7500 rupees..indian currency...and getting a demo of the earphones i wanna buy...is next to impossible in india.....so im just relying on the r&d i had....ur words....comparisons on youtube....replies on this forum,etc..
...ive never used such professional earphones(monitors) before.....i took my first earphones around 6 years back...dated back then till now...ive used the following: skullcandy ink'd.....jbl tempo....skullcandy smokin buds 2...sony extra bass-the most terrible i had....jbl j33....and the latest....bose soundtrue which is not worth spending 7000.....i got it in a sale bt still.....so i wanted to move to a better brand rather than these which are easily available in india.....bt here the scenario is....ppl are just unaware of these brands like shure, audiotechnica, rha,etc....i cant get the demo easily....so im relying on the aforesaid factors...
....thanks a lot for your help....got no more questions...u cleared all my doubts....thanks a lot....se215 here is for 6900 and the e40 is for 8000....so just a last question...should i spend a 1000 bucks more fore for the e40 or i should go for se215..??....i listen to house music only...plzz take the fact into consideration..

Aug 27, 2016 at 4:22 PM Post #1,784 of 1,937
Has anyone using SE215s tried a pinnacle P1?

So far I've owned SE215s and E2c before that. I kind of like the SE215's sound signature.
I've a little more budget this time and am thinking of the P1.
But most reviews seem to state the that the bass there isn't very impactful. (I don't know compared to what... my comparision
point would be the SE215.  So looking for inputs from people who have had the chance to try both).
Another area that I'm worried about is that the P1s are supposed to be power hungry. I intend to use it mostly
with my mobile phones (Currently lenovo k3 note), I wonder if it would be able to drive the P1s well. Again,
in comparision to how se215 sounds with mobile phones.

Thanks!

Aug 27, 2016 at 7:42 PM Post #1,785 of 1,937

i have to concur! i like the vsd3s version 1 and the vsd3s version 2. 

their slightly peaky treble (vsonic house sound) may not be agreeable towards everyone. I think because of that (the smoothness,dark chocolate nature of the se215) along with the detachable cables and lastly the reputable brand that is shure makes them an easy choice for first time buyers (especially when its the first time spending over $50 on earphones)

When you said you like the IM70, did you mean you tried it? The IM70 can be a bit fussy to wear so if you actually managed to demo it and liked it then that'll make things slightly easier.
Also, when you talk about spending "6500" or "7500", what currency are you talking about? Seems like it might be Japanese Yen you're talking about there.
The Shure SE215 is not fragile by any means, it is fairly durable. However, the nozzles (ear tip holders) have been known to snap off if you're not careful. They're pretty thin and may break if you handle the earphones roughly while changing ear tips. That said, the cable on the Shure is one of the best around.
Meanwhile, the IM70 cables, while not bad, do have issues. The ear guides have been known to snap with people who treat their earphones with less care. The E40 is very much the same.
Assuming your budget is at US $99, I think I'll personally not consider the M6 Pro and focus between the SE215, the IM70 and the E40. All three have pleasing sound signatures, all are roughly the same price (depending on where you get them from), all are relatively durable, and all three are good in their own right. I'm not including the Vsonic GR07 in this list because its sound signature isn't always the most agreeable with people, it's pretty sibilant.
I can't tell you which is the 'best' I've heard, because best is subjective. What I can do is elaborate on each in more detail and compare between the three based on my personal opinion.
1) Shure SE215 (original):
- The most durable overall
- However, nozzle has been noted to snap off when handled roughly
- Sound: focus on mids (guitars, vocals, brass, etc), little bass and treble emphasis. Very smooth and pleasing, albeit a bit boring sounding.
- Also comes with the best selection of (and most practical) accessories
- Recommendation: If you aren't particularly bothered with taking of your earphones (e.g. keeping them in a case after use), then the SE215 are the ones most likely to hold up well in the long term. Shure also has excellent customer service based on customers' feedback.
2) Audio Technica ATH-IM70:
- While the ear pieces themselves are pretty durable, cable ear guides have been known to snap when handled roughly (i.e. not storing in case when not in use)
- Sound: very smooth and liquid mids, slight treble roll-off, thick but not overbearing bass. I tend to recommend the IM70 the most at its price because most people I know find it very agreeable and easy to listen to, being very non-fatiguing yet retaining a good amount of detail. It is more detailed sounding and has more bass than the SE215, but the SE215 sounds cleaner and more 'accurate'.
- Recommendation: If you can take care of your IEMs, the IM70 will last a good long while, and will provide a good balance between relaxed and engaging sound. As I've said, the IM70 is my personal favorite at this price.
3) Audio Technica ATH-E40:
- Same comments about cable as the IM70. While they use different connectors, the build of the cable is pretty much identical.
- Sound: The most energetic out of the three. If you want more engagement and excitement in your music than what the IM70 can offer, the E40 is clean, controlled, and detailed. The E40 also has the most bass out of the three. Its only downfall is that it can sound very slightly harsh or splashy at louder volumes and with poorly mastered tracks.
- Recommendation: If you tried the IM70 and found it too relaxed, the E40 could be a good alternative.

That's just my opinion between the three. If you're very concerned about sound and durability, I wouldn't concern myself too much with how the earphones look. But that's just my personal opinion.
If you have any more questions, feel free to ask more. :)

i found the im70 to have a slightly recessed subbass, with a bit overly enthusiastic upper bass.

the fit is MADDENING THOUGH. it took so many hours and so many aftermarket eartips (in my collection) to find one that would seal well and comfortably, while at the same time didn't sound as congested as with the stock tips

the earpieces are enormous! i like their smooth mids and the relaxed treble. but i think audio technica really needs to go back to the drawing board with their iem designs (as odd as it might sound.... sound isn't everything). The earpieces in the im50, 70 and the e40,50,70 aren't the most ergonomic.

the im 50, 70, e40 have alot of added bulk

where as the e50,70 have slightly hard plastic edges on the rear.

why Audio technica why?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back