New Shure SE215 - First Impressions
Jun 15, 2015 at 2:03 AM Post #1,591 of 1,937
Never liked Sennheisers. Don't know why. The Sennheisers veil? Coloration? The sibilance?

Jun 19, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #1,592 of 1,937
I'm a new SE215 owner!  Got them used for $50 today, from someone who said he was "upgrading to Momentums"... Not sure that's really an upgrade, but for this price I don't want to know. 
cool.gif

So far I love the fit, the isolation and especially the sheer ruggedness - these appear to be indestructible.

Nice, neutral, analytical (in a good way) sound.  Only con so far is microdynamics - I'll need to see if I can get used to wearing the cable behind my head, that seems to reduce the noise quite a bit.

Jun 20, 2015 at 9:23 AM Post #1,593 of 1,937
So this while surfing:

http://ru.aliexpress.com/store/product/Original-SE-215-Wired-3-5MM-Hi-fi-stereo-headphones-Professional-ear-metal-noise-fone-de/1358867_32336736764.html

I think we can expect many fake SE215 on eBay soon 

May be it's just gray market items, but probably not. 

Jun 20, 2015 at 6:47 PM Post #1,594 of 1,937
Out visiting relatives and left my main headphones (Grado SR80i) at home, so I have my SE215s in a nice quiet place. Really liking the sound with Radiohead's "In Rainbows." Unfortunately, I usually only listen to these on my loud school bus, and even with the isolation, I don't get to fully appreciate the sound from these. Right now, everything in "Faust Arp" sounds wonderful, especially all the stringed instruments.

Jun 23, 2015 at 10:32 PM Post #1,595 of 1,937
I just got  a pair of SE215 delivered a few hours ago. 

For me they fit with the large foam tips. With this jammed into my ears, my initial impression is that the bass seems overstated compared to SE420, M40x, HD650, SP25-II. This is fairly dominating and is somewhat distracting for me right now. I may change my mind as I get used to them over several hours of continual listening over each of the next few days.

For me, this bass effect is to the point where they seem like they are somehow narrow in sound stage due to what seems like the stronger bass. I may have this wrong, I am not sure. Perhaps its the somewhat subdued highs that do this and not the bass. Right now, it seems like they need more sound pressure to start to sound as open as say the SE420 on the same test track.

Other than that, they are an OK fun headphone.

I would choose these over say a Klipsch for a similar price (the Klipsch I have are also bass-heavy to my ears after I finally go them to fit properly). I particularly dislike the mocrophonics on the cable on my Klipsch which is one reason I got the SE215 in the first place.

If you can afford it, get a better headphone with a sound that is tuned flatter for less bass.

If you like bass, and this price point, then get the SE215. Its pretty good.

Jun 23, 2015 at 11:11 PM Post #1,596 of 1,937

For me they fit with the large foam tips. With this jammed into my ears, my initial impression is that the bass seems overstated compared to SE420, M40x, HD650, SP25-II. This is fairly dominating and is somewhat distracting for me right now. I may change my mind as I get used to them over several hours of continual listening over each of the next few days.

For me, this bass effect is to the point where they seem like they are somehow narrow in sound stage due to what seems like the stronger bass. I may have this wrong, I am not sure. Perhaps its the somewhat subdued highs that do this and not the bass. Right now, it seems like they need more sound pressure to start to sound as open as say the SE420 on the same test track.

I would choose these over say a Klipsch for a similar price (the Klipsch I have are also bass-heavy to my ears after I finally go them to fit properly). I particularly dislike the mocrophonics on the cable on my Klipsch which is one reason I got the SE215 in the first place.

If you can afford it, get a better headphone with a sound that is tuned flatter for less bass.

+1. Agreed, they are great bassy IEMs.

Jun 24, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #1,597 of 1,937

Use the silicone tips for more treble. To me, its warm with the stock foam tips but perfect with silicone tips.

Jun 27, 2015 at 6:33 AM Post #1,600 of 1,937
The silicones really seal on my ears. You should try different sizes.

Jul 28, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #1,601 of 1,937
 SE215 is basier than my SE 325 and 425. I am just a junior, but I find the sound profile preferable to the 425. I also like the sound which I find in the same sound stage as the GR07BE. How new am I?

Been listing to buds longer than I care to mention.

Jul 28, 2015 at 10:23 PM Post #1,602 of 1,937
 SE215 is basier than my SE 325 and 425. I am just a junior, but I find the sound profile preferable to the 425. I also like the sound which I find in the same sound stage as the GR07BE. How new am I?

Been listing to buds longer than I care to mention.

You're correct. If your ears have not yet become less sensitive to treble (which naturally happens as we age), SE215 couldn't be better.

Jul 28, 2015 at 10:47 PM Post #1,603 of 1,937
Interesting.  I enjoy the 425 more than the 315 which sound totally flat to me. I enjoy the 425 when I use equalization and it's almost "there" but not quite for me.. Straight out of my iPhone it just doesn't have the bass.

I am far from a bass-head and do enjoy the subtleties and nuances my audiophile recommended iEM's have afforded me in the mids to highs.

SO are you saying as I age, I will find the 425's more to my liking then currently.

Aug 9, 2015 at 6:04 AM Post #1,604 of 1,937
Hey guys i'm new here and i just got a new shure se215 that was a slightly over a year old from someone else
but theres some ear wax ( i'm not really sure about this ) buildup just in front of the driver, and right after the end of the tube that we put the buds at. 

Should i request for a refund? 

Or is it just gel that is used to i don't know, keep the things in place? That's what the seller claimed it is to me. Does anyone else have something like that? 

There seems to be air bubbles (?) and it is slightly yellowish when i shine a torch light on it. 

Heres a picture hopefully you guys can see it!

http://i.imgur.com/robspXZ.jpg

Edit: Nevermind i got it refunded, saving up for a new one!

Aug 15, 2015 at 11:00 PM Post #1,605 of 1,937
So earlier today I happened to be at Sam Ash Music here in New Haven and saw that they were having a special sale on the SE215's for only 84.99  Of course, at that price in-store, I just HAD to buy them right there on the spot (well, on impulse, haha).  ANd I must say, I am NOT regretting it.

Yeah, they're fairly bass heavy, but with the exception of a certain narrow region of the low-mids frequency range, I'd say these things keep from letting the bass bleed into the rest of the frequency range, and deliver GREAT detail-resolution and balanced (outside the bass) sound for single-dynamic-microdriver IEM's, ESPECIALLY in this price-range. . .hell, who am I kidding, these things aren't just a good value, they're practically a STEAL at the $84.99 price-tag on the ones I got!  Not to mention, they are quite comfortable, and isolate pretty damn well. . .to the point it's really getting on my roommate's nerves how I haven't noticed whenevevr he's tried to talk to me all day today since I got these =P

I think what I like best about the sound is the dynamics and transient-response, ESPECIALLY with DRUMS. Guys, guys, IMO these IEM's do drums FANTASTICALLY for an audio product in their price-range. . .hell, I've heard full-sized cans at well over three times the price of these (and no, I'm not talking about Beats, I'm talking about prodcuts from companies like Sennheiser and AKG, among others), as well as some in-ears at twice the price, which do not do drums as well as these!  Bass-drum, kick-drums of all kinds, snares, etc. . .they all hit nice and hard, the impact is INTENSE, really makes me want to start headbanging and junk :wink:

Edit:  Also I forgot to mention, I very much enjoy the soundstage and imaging these provide!  Kudos to Shure, these are VERY well-engineered single-driver IEM's for an audiophile on a budget!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back