New Shure SE215 - First Impressions
Jul 6, 2011 at 11:14 AM Post #902 of 1,937
Do any of you know if the dynamic driver used is a sealed one that would make it useable for a reshell?

@redwarrior191

I feel that the bass extension is pretty good. I agree with what others have said about the mid-upper bass being more prominent, but the other bass ranges are there as well. The mid-upper bass just has more 'punch' to it.

Jul 6, 2011 at 2:42 PM Post #904 of 1,937
I suggest going with a custim tip versus reshell as I think there is an air space in the IEM to help with bass and think it would be very difficult for a reshell company to get this aspect right. Also a custom tip will be able to move with you to other IEM's that use the same nozzle size so you don't lose your investment.

Quote:
Do any of you know if the dynamic driver used is a sealed one that would make it useable for a reshell? 

Jul 6, 2011 at 3:44 PM Post #905 of 1,937
The clear pair are slightly cheaper where I am, but I do prefer the look of the black ones. A comment on YouTube said that the clear cable was better quality? Anyone know if this is true?

EDIT: A post in this thread said that the clear cable causes greater microphonics. Now I'm not sure which to buy haha. Plus if I buy from: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SHURE-SE215-BLACK-STEREO-EAR-EARPHONES-HEADPHONES-/130536060452?pt=UK_AudioVisualElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Headphones&hash=item1e648e3624
this eBay seller, will I still be eligible for warranty if they break?

Jul 6, 2011 at 4:39 PM Post #906 of 1,937
I was thinking that I would like to try and take the dynamic from the Shure's and combine them with some BA's from another IEM to create a hybrid, something like a UM Merlin.

@Flah If the ebay seller is a licensed dealer, I'm pretty sure you would be eligible for full warranty. (someone confirm this? This is my first Shure product purchased new)
As for the cable, I have heard that the clear cable is supposed to be softer. I have the black one and I find it is pretty good. It is quite a bit thicker feeling than alot of other cables but it is sturdy and not stiff.

Jul 6, 2011 at 8:33 PM Post #907 of 1,937

Quote:
I was thinking that I would like to try and take the dynamic from the Shure's and combine them with some BA's from another IEM to create a hybrid, something like a UM Merlin.

@Flah If the ebay seller is a licensed dealer, I'm pretty sure you would be eligible for full warranty. (someone confirm this? This is my first Shure product purchased new)
As for the cable, I have heard that the clear cable is supposed to be softer. I have the black one and I find it is pretty good. It is quite a bit thicker feeling than alot of other cables but it is sturdy and not stiff.

Cheers for the reply, I think I'm going to do the safer option of buying from Amazon instead. I read that people have had luck with eBay products with Shure but I'd rather have that little extra insurance.

Hm, would a harder cable create a greater degree of microphonics (not sure I'm using this word in the right context, audio noob here
smile_phones.gif
) than the softer cable? Because my two options are

A) Buy the clear pair directly from Amazon which is 'Sold by Shure UK and Fulfilled by Amazon. ' for £90.

B) Buy the black pair also from Amazon sold in the Marketplace, but by a reputable seller. For £85.

I am so indecisive
redface.gif

Jul 7, 2011 at 7:08 AM Post #908 of 1,937
mine SE 215 just ariived, and they dont work with iphone.. its jack problem they are playing at very very low volume they are cracking sounds like crap but my sennheisers CX 400 works with my iphone.. but when I connect shure to pc they are playing like heaven..

Jul 7, 2011 at 8:56 AM Post #910 of 1,937
I find that there are no microphonics at all since you wear them in an over the ear fashion. I put the cable through my shirt when I'm wearing so that further reduces the microphonics. It is worth noting that the cable on the SE215's is quite a bit longer than most other cables. Its a 64" (I think?) rather than a 48" so you get quite a bit of slack. I personally think that the black version looks nicer than the clear one though :)

Jul 7, 2011 at 9:14 AM Post #911 of 1,937
Bought a pair of clear SE215s last night so I will do a write up and possibly a video review (from the POV of an audio noob) :D Really can't wait. What do you guys suggest I burn them in with? Pink noise, a heavy Slayer song, or something else?

Jul 9, 2011 at 5:33 AM Post #912 of 1,937
Hello,
I got mine SE215 as gift, didn't get receipt, can I still apply for warranty or not? should I register them or something?

OnTopic: this is my first "high(er) end" earphones and I am blown away by sound clarity. :)

Jul 9, 2011 at 12:39 PM Post #913 of 1,937
mine SE 215 just ariived, and they dont work with iphone.. its jack problem they are playing at very very low volume they are cracking sounds like **** but my sennheisers CX 400 works with my iphone.. but when I connect shure to pc they are playing like heaven..

It's possible that your iPhone case gets in the way. The Shures have a fairly large diameter jack that some cases may prevent it from being fully inserted. Hopfully that's the only issue there.

Jul 9, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #914 of 1,937
@Flah

I personally use a combination of different noises (white, pink), frequency sweeps, and sine wave oscillated bass. I usually do that for ~24h then I put my playlist on shuffle then do another ~24h of random music. For IEM's I burn in just using an iPod but if you need more power, you can amp it.

Jul 9, 2011 at 7:27 PM Post #915 of 1,937
I use the files in my signature and suggest several days or a week of evening to morning burnins. This IEM's treble needs over 100 hrs of use and burnin to start to come into it's own though so while very listenable before then don't write off the treble before then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back