New Sennheiser HD 448.
Mar 11, 2011 at 8:21 PM Post #181 of 203
Just wanted to ask a few little questions
So I'm all new into the world of "headphones that cost more than 20 bucks" and just wanted to ask if this a good pair of headphones if I tend to listen rock,jazz,techno,funk music? I'm also curious about sound isolation.
it'd be my first pair of good headphones so I don't want to go higher than around 150-200 bucks, so (don't bash me) just for sake of not creating another topic I'd like to know about good alternatives for hd448 around above mentioned price (150-200$)

Apr 22, 2011 at 1:21 AM Post #182 of 203
Threedee: I would say that If you are craving bass, the 448's aren't what you are looking for. They are pretty neutral on the bass. It is there, but It's not slapping you in the face with volume.

SteveSmug: They don't fold or anything so I'm not sure how portable they are, but they are built rock solid in my opinion. 

Both of you: What are your price ranges? When I got my 448's I loved them (Still do), but I couldn't help feeling there were some better sets out there. I would suggest the ATH-M50 for both of you.

Bass on m50 is also balanced not powerful unless you use amp or eq filter

May 19, 2011 at 3:05 AM Post #183 of 203
Quote:
hello,

So I just bought the HD428. I was wondering what how they compared to the HD448, and HD 595. I like the 428, but wondering how if there is a difference in detail, clarity and soundstage between the three headphones. I also find the bass on some hip hop and techno songs as being muddy and distorted. I like the bass on the 428 otherwise but could strive for a little more. How do the three headphones compare on these subjects? thanks

I have the HD448 and HD595, and you would probably find that the HD448 is also distorted and a tad muddy on some music.  The HD595 is consistently muddy and lacking a certain clarity in the mids and highs that the HD448 has.  My suggestion would be that you check out the HD518 if you like a weightier bass, HD598 if you want balance, clarity, yet still want warmth, or the HD558 if you can't quite afford the HD598 and still want a more neutral headphone with a smooth, low distortion and grain-free sound.  I personally own the HD598 and it has some similarities in tone to the HD448 in the mids and highs, but adds considerably more detail, more width and depth in its' soundstaging, and a cohesiveness to the tonal balance that is rare in any headphone, let alone a Sennheiser.  That being said, if you have heard the HD595, don't judge the HD598 on those grounds, they couldn't sound more different than the HD595 than they actually sound.  The HD595 I would argue only has a similar level detail to the HD448 in the midrange, and its' only technical advantage is a cleaner bass than the HD448, and the HD595 sounds very compressed and two-dimensional in its' soundstaging compared to the HD598.

May 22, 2011 at 11:36 AM Post #184 of 203

Quote:
Just wanted to ask a few little questions
So I'm all new into the world of "headphones that cost more than 20 bucks" and just wanted to ask if this a good pair of headphones if I tend to listen rock,jazz,techno,funk music? I'm also curious about sound isolation.
it'd be my first pair of good headphones so I don't want to go higher than around 150-200 bucks, so (don't bash me) just for sake of not creating another topic I'd like to know about good alternatives for hd448 around above mentioned price (150-200$)

I happen to have the HD448's, and I can tell you for sure, if your rock, jazz, techno or funk songs call for a lot of clarity, this is probably the headphones you would want. I'd have to warn you first, however, the bass on these cans is virtually non-existent. It doesn't matter even if you look at the frequency response graph of these headphones and think it's ok; once you put these on and test them, you will notice that the bass is nearly completely absent. You should buy these headphones only if you really love clarity and low distortion, and you don't mind very weak bass. Additionally, just to note, the sound isolation is very good at first, but around 6 months after using these things, the headband kinda lost its tension and now ambient road noise and such tends to seep in quite easily. The earpads can also be an issue if you use these on the go and sweat a bit under the hot sun, as mine just tore earlier this month after around a year of usage.

In short, if you want low distortion and clarity, these are the headphones to you. Beware of the lack of bass though.

May 22, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #185 of 203
I do not agree the non-existent bass statement. While these are not made for powerfull bass, for kickin' bass (basically modern music bass), they still have bass. Maybe a different kind of bass you expect to hear from speakers. A simple way to test that its by listening to James Horner's Titanic soundtrack especially "Never an Absolution" (starting with 0:49 aprox) and "A life so changed" (right from the beginning).
Go and have a try. HD 448 is very good on real recordings, everything made with real instruments, but won't excell on computer created music.

Jun 1, 2011 at 10:36 AM Post #187 of 203
The bass is fine, although I've found that I prefer to boost the bass a bit with some music by using the iTunes EQ's rock setting.

The 448 is a solid, all purpose headphone. I've been using mine almost every day since I bought it in January 2010.  It can handle just about anything well.  One thing that doesn't get much attention is the comfort: these are often on my head all day, and I have never felt any discomfort. SOund isolation is also pretty good. That's one of the reasons why they're often on my head even if I'm not even listening to anything.

If I had to do this purchase again, I might spend a bit more and look at the ATH-M50 or the Fischer FA-003. But otherwise, I think the 448s are a good choice at the price point, which should be in the $90s. 

Aug 21, 2011 at 3:02 PM Post #188 of 203
Hello! 

I'm very much interested in changing hd 448 ear pads into something softer. Where I live, there's no Sennheiser dealer around, and I have to order replacement parts on-line, so I would really really appreciate if someone told me which ear pads exactly will suit this headphones. Will HD 438 or HD 418 do?  

Thank you so much.

Quote:
Cool, I'm actually in the process of getting new earpads for the HD448 (the velour HD438 earpads to be exact)...

Aug 21, 2011 at 4:03 PM Post #189 of 203
The HD438 and HD418 pads will work on the HD448.  BTW the HD438 and HD418 pads are the same part, but I don't remember the exact part number, as it has been a long time since I ordered them.

--Eric

Nov 12, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #190 of 203
I just completed the mod that was mentioned some pages ago.
And *******, this is like new cans. The really quiet distortion is easily counter-balanced by how much much alive and warm the sound is now.
Thank you guys!

Dec 12, 2011 at 1:45 PM Post #191 of 203
Guys I am thinking to buy this for my iPhone 4. I read few reviews & they have mentioned that it gets warm after usage. And ears start sweating. Is it true ?

Thank you :)

Dec 25, 2011 at 7:24 PM Post #194 of 203
The HD558 ear pads are too large to fit on the HD448.  If you want velour-like ear pads for the HD448, you must use the HD518/HD538 ear pads, though the sound will change, especially the bass on the HD448 with the velour-like pads, not necessarily for the better.  I'd stick with the stock pads if you want to maintain the somewhat clear delineation of the bass lines that the HD448 possesses.  The velour ear pads make the HD448 sound more mushy in the bass, IIRC.

--Eric

Jan 23, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #195 of 203
Hi all,

My friend bought a sennheiser hd448 headphones from ebay, and lent them to me.
The sound is not as good as I expected. So I opened them and took a few pictures.
What do you think? Are they fake.
I must add - sound is not terrible. Little bit too thin and uninvolving - like HD201's.
I have sennheiser 495 and PMX100. Both are much better. And I have owned Hd600's.
But these 448-s are better than HD202's.

http://woolik.bumpclub.ee/~kirsa/pildid/pc/klapid/IMG_8132.jpg
http://woolik.bumpclub.ee/~kirsa/pildid/pc/klapid/IMG_8153.jpg
http://woolik.bumpclub.ee/~kirsa/pildid/pc/klapid/IMG_8145.jpg
http://woolik.bumpclub.ee/~kirsa/pildid/pc/klapid/IMG_8130.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back