New Sennheiser HD 448.
Jan 1, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #166 of 203

Quote:
Well, most people here would say so. The great thing about the M50 is that it in no way "requires" an amp, I just got my E7, my first amp, and it made my 448's sound better, but it cost $100. I have never heard the M50, so a direct comparison from me isn't possible. 

I see. By any chance would you know how the M50 compares to the Beats by Dr. Dre, is it a big jump up?

Edit: Would you recommend buying the ATH-M50's off of eBay? Because I can get it cheaper online but at least if I were to buy it from the store I know it wouldn't be a bootleg pair.

Jan 1, 2011 at 4:20 PM Post #167 of 203
Ridiculously enormous. The Beats get no respect around here as a headphone because of their truly incompetent price/performance ratio. If they were $30, I would say they were an O.K. headphone.

Jan 13, 2011 at 4:25 AM Post #169 of 203
Had 448's a week. I'm disappointed. They sound really good, however i absolutely loathe the way they feel on my head. Plastic, way too much plastic for 60 pounds worth of headphones, they feel too hollow. It's probably to do with me used to heavier sets, like SBC-HD1500. Heavy as hell (maybe 5 times the 448's), but so comfortable i dont have a problem wearing them all day long. The cable twangs a lot as well. damn... Even Technics RP-F350 feel better in comparison.

Dont know what to think at this point. Not going to return them, but i'm disappointed in general.

Any guides on recabling them ? What sort of cable to use ?

Also, how to take off and more importantly put back on the pads ? Had this particular problem with HD1500, now need a replacement mounting ring, for a pad, but headphones out of production, cant find it for love nor money...

Jan 13, 2011 at 9:04 AM Post #170 of 203
Push/pull towards the inside of the pads and you should be good to go. They're held on by little plastic clips around the outer edge; they're quite durable, as I've stressed them quite a bit when I had my pair, taking off and putting back on the pads. 

I do agree on the hollowness of these cans. If Senn would have padded the cups or made them thicker/sturdier, the bass would have been much improved, IMO. You can try to pad them yourself, as they're fairly easy to mod.

Jan 13, 2011 at 1:21 PM Post #172 of 203
Much more to my liking. Controlled and resonably detailed, if a bit lacking in oomph. I hate boomy bass though, so I might be biased against the HD448s, plus I now own the HD25s, which I find just perfect for me. The mids on the 448 though are something really special for their price.

Feb 5, 2011 at 11:30 AM Post #173 of 203
For some reason, I could not handle the 595 overly warm and the HF roll-off so I had them returned. I like more neutral sound with balanced bass. For around $100.00 or so price range, if the mid-range of the HD438 and the HF is airy and clean, clear as reported, I may get the HD438 than the M50 for my collection. 

The ATH M50 is rated very high on Testfreaks and is among the 10 ten on Headroom. It's tempting but I do not like so much bass. Hard decision ! 

Feb 5, 2011 at 7:07 PM Post #174 of 203

Quote:
For some reason, I could not handle the 595 overly warm and the HF roll-off so I had them returned. I like more neutral sound with balanced bass. For around $100.00 or so price range, if the mid-range of the HD438 and the HF is airy and clean, clear as reported, I may get the HD438 than the M50 for my collection. 

Couldn't find a 595 graph to compare but the 555 is pretty close.  As you can see the 555 holds up well in the treble and shouldn't sound "overly warm" unless you're used to phones that are overly bright. The 595 is in fact one of the most neutral phones in its price range in terms of not emphasising one part of the FR over another. By comparison the HD438 will be lacking treble in important areas, where the ear is most sensitive, and by that graph should sound even warmer than the 595. Frankly, the 595 is in a different class.
  Couldn't find a 595 graph to compare but the 555 is pretty close.

graphCompare.php

Feb 5, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #175 of 203

Quote:
Quote:

Couldn't find a 595 graph to compare but the 555 is pretty close.  As you can see the 555 holds up well in the treble and shouldn't sound "overly warm" unless you're used to phones that are overly bright. The 595 is in fact one of the most neutral phones in its price range in terms of not emphasising one part of the FR over another. By comparison the HD438 will be lacking treble in important areas, where the ear is most sensitive, and by that graph should sound even warmer than the 595. Frankly, the 595 is in a different class.
  Couldn't find a 595 graph to compare but the 555 is pretty close.

graphCompare.php

Thank you for the graph . To me neutral is like Bryston sound signature even though it maybe considered bright to some. I am in between the Bryston sound and the Krell sound. The hd 280 is not quite my taste but pretty close. 

I probably have a bad HD 595 since it is like day and night between the HD 595 ( stuffy, overly warm) and the HD 650 ( less dark then the HD 595)  is my kind of sound . However, to some the HD 600/ HD650 is dark but to me and in my set up, the HD 650 is a nice headphone.

I an sorry to mislead you but I realy meant the HD 448 not the HD 438 that I need the feed back.

Feb 11, 2011 at 12:52 AM Post #176 of 203
Hi everyone

I just recently got very interested in the 448s after trying them out at j&r the other day. This has been an amazing thread to read - I definitely learned way more things I couldn't have when I auditioned them. For one I wouldn't have known these really needed an amp since they're pretty bass light. When I auditioned them they had a ton of bass because of the source they were plugged into. But from what I heard they sounded pretty amazing especially at the price point. And they were so comfortable!

Anyway my concern is what amp would best suit them. I had already planned on getting a high end amp in the future (considering the rsa mustang or predator... Maybe even an amp/dac by ibasso or the ibasso t3). Then I was considering the total bithead. I'm not really sure how well they'd benefit the 448s or any of the 'phones I have in my sig. But since I'm pretty sure about the 448s and that they're the ones that need an amp most... This is where you guys come in. Anyone know what amp would most benefit these cans? I'd have the line out of my iPod nano.

Any input at all is always appreciated.

Feb 11, 2011 at 3:48 PM Post #177 of 203
hello,

So I just bought the HD428. I was wondering what how they compared to the HD448, and HD 595. I like the 428, but wondering how if there is a difference in detail, clarity and soundstage between the three headphones. I also find the bass on some hip hop and techno songs as being muddy and distorted. I like the bass on the 428 otherwise but could strive for a little more. How do the three headphones compare on these subjects? thanks

Feb 11, 2011 at 4:18 PM Post #178 of 203

Quote:
hello,

So I just bought the HD428. I was wondering what how they compared to the HD448, and HD 595. I like the 428, but wondering how if there is a difference in detail, clarity and soundstage between the three headphones. I also find the bass on some hip hop and techno songs as being muddy and distorted. I like the bass on the 428 otherwise but could strive for a little more. How do the three headphones compare on these subjects? thanks

I was just reading this thread. You should check it out.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/453697/sennheiser-448-vs-438-vs-428

Feb 11, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #179 of 203
AFAIK, from Headroom graphs and various users, the HD448 and HD428 sound about the same, maybe with better mids for the HD448 and better bass for the HD428.

Mar 10, 2011 at 5:59 AM Post #180 of 203
Hi there - I've been lurking around here for a couple weeks, and after reading through this thread I figured it was time for me to sign up.

I just got the 448s about a week ago. I was looking for a replacement for my Fiio E5 (after the second one died I figured it was time to upgrade). I decided on the E7 and was looking for a good price when I stumbled upon a deal on ebay - for the E7 and the 448s, both new in package, for $150. I'd been using the Klipsch S4s for a while, with my stock Android player, and while the sound was good in general there was a lot of popping from the faulty phone jack, and I was tired of having the buds falling out of my ears all the time. 

Anyway, long story (somewhat) shorter, I'm now using the 448s with the Fiio E7, and a 2nd gen ipod touch. I wasn't as impressed as I thought I should be, until I learned what a LOD was (what can I say? I'm still new at this) and the difference is startling.

I still may switch to the Sansa Clip+ soon (seeing how inexpensive they are compared to this iFlash, not to mention the better SQ?) but for now it works.

Thanks to everyone who posts here - you've helped me a lot lately! Now, if I could only say the same about my future finances...
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back