New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Feb 2, 2016 at 2:11 PM Post #9,001 of 9,484
Gold and diamonds sound best to my wife. Red tuning fuses not in the running :p

Feb 8, 2016 at 10:39 PM Post #9,005 of 9,484
hi anyone have a hd800 or HD800s anyone getting bass distortion at around 1 oclock knob 3rd gain 40 seconds onwards on this song 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=51&v=SFsAQwmq7eQ

just a reference getting it on others aswell 

Feb 8, 2016 at 10:46 PM Post #9,006 of 9,484
  hi anyone have a hd800 or HD800s anyone getting bass distortion at around 1 oclock knob 3rd gain 40 seconds onwards on this song 

using LCD3, therefore, may be not be a good reference, but am not hearing any distortion if it helps. 

Feb 9, 2016 at 11:08 AM Post #9,007 of 9,484

Don't have a Rag, but I hear no distortion with Audeze LCD-XC + DNA Sonett 2. Nice track.

Feb 10, 2016 at 6:53 PM Post #9,008 of 9,484
Question....

I have a PS Audio Perfectwave Dac mkii feeding the Rag balanced which are feeding Emotive Stealth 8s. Which one do I turn the volume to 199 and which one do I use to control the overall volume with?

Feb 10, 2016 at 8:18 PM Post #9,009 of 9,484
Maybe I'm missing something, I can be slow at times.  What is the Rag even doing in the system?  I ask because the Emotiva has an electronic cross-over and dual amps.  No matter what the Rag does or doesn't do to the sound, the Stealths control what you hear.  I don't know if I am saying that well. 

If the Perfect Wave has balanced out just run it into a passive volume control (Emotiva has a balanced one) and if it doesn't have balanced out, just used an SE passive pre-amp like the Emotiva SE or the Schiit Pyst.  I use the latter on my Stealths and it works fine.

You don't need a balanced connection in this set-up and you don't need the Rag.

Edit:  then you can sell me the Rag.

Feb 10, 2016 at 10:58 PM Post #9,010 of 9,484
Maybe I'm missing something, I can be slow at times.  What is the Rag even doing in the system?  I ask because the Emotiva has an electronic cross-over and dual amps.  No matter what the Rag does or doesn't do to the sound, the Stealths control what you hear.  I don't know if I am saying that well. 

If the Perfect Wave has balanced out just run it into a passive volume control (Emotiva has a balanced one) and if it doesn't have balanced out, just used an SE passive pre-amp like the Emotiva SE or the Schiit Pyst.  I use the latter on my Stealths and it works fine.

You don't need a balanced connection in this set-up and you don't need the Rag.

Edit:  then you can sell me the Rag.

The Rag is a pre-amp as well. It will power my HD800S in a month.

Feb 11, 2016 at 10:01 AM Post #9,011 of 9,484
The Rag is a pre-amp as well. It will power my HD800S in a month.

Seems pretty cut-and-dry, using the Ragnarok as a pre-amplifier and setting the DAC to full volume - because that is what you'll do when you get your headphones. No sense in changing procedures - one for headphones and another for speakers. Was there a particular concern you had with this setup?

The only thing I can think of - I do not know if it is possible to turn off the pre-amplifier outputs on the Ragnarok, which you would have connected to your powered speakers. In the manuals I have read for the lower tier products, the pre-amplifier outputs are turned off when the headphone outputs are used. Maybe someone can chime in on how the pre-amplifier outputs work from the Rag. I simply turn off my powered speaker, which is connected to the pre-amplifier output and can be turned off easily with a remote.

Feb 11, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #9,012 of 9,484
  Seems pretty cut-and-dry, using the Ragnarok as a pre-amplifier and setting the DAC to full volume - because that is what you'll do when you get your headphones. No sense in changing procedures - one for headphones and another for speakers. Was there a particular concern you had with this setup?

The only thing I can think of - I do not know if it is possible to turn off the pre-amplifier outputs on the Ragnarok, which you would have connected to your powered speakers. In the manuals I have read for the lower tier products, the pre-amplifier outputs are turned off when the headphone outputs are used. Maybe someone can chime in on how the pre-amplifier outputs work from the Rag. I simply turn off my powered speaker, which is connected to the pre-amplifier output and can be turned off easily with a remote.

Thats how I tested it out before I made the post. But the pwd has a remote :) Maybe I'll try it the other way around ad be careful. I'll also download the PDF manual or maybe it's in the box. When I lifted it out of the box I was aww awe struck and probably forgot it even arrived in a box :)

Feb 11, 2016 at 9:36 PM Post #9,013 of 9,484
Ordered my Yggy today. The next to last component of my revamped headphone system

Feb 14, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #9,015 of 9,484
Is there any word yet that there will be an Yggy with a black finish? Thanks.

You pretty much just have to wait and watch the site. That is how I got my black rag. When I talked to schiit they said that if they have enough with cosmetic issues they sometimes do a black run rather than send the chassis back. It's happened once before with the yddy if I'm not mistaken.

Could be next week or next year, if you must have it you will just have to wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back