New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Jan 22, 2016 at 11:36 PM Post #8,972 of 9,484

Yggy has American parts and labor which would sure cost more than the Audio GD.

Yea... ofc it does. My point is given what ppl say about it, an the master 11. I'd imagine the Yggy is in a class above and that's my point. Granted, if Audio GD manufactored the same amp an design they might be able to cut the costs a little, but the reality is the Yggy is more than the sum of it's parts. It's also the cost of the R&D put into it

and give the time I've spent with Schiits two Vali Amps both a fantastic value, I'd imagine at the price point of the Yggy it's well fanfreaking tastic

I'll hear it soon :3 

Jan 26, 2016 at 4:23 PM Post #8,975 of 9,484
Does anyone have experience with Bel Canto links vs. Yggdrasil's built in USB/optical out from a Mac? Impressions or info on Yggdrasil's USB jitter specs would be appreciated!

No info on specs, but when I had my original Bifrost with Gen 1 usb, the bel canto m-link put major smiles on my face in terms of bloom, touch, texture. Now with Yggy's Gen 3 usb it's a way closer call. I'm SLIGHTLY preferring the m-link, but wouldn't go out and buy one for Yggy. This is using an iMac/Audirvana with all enabling/disabling tweaks done.

It's also a close call because the Yggy itself provides such a wonderful presentation--timbre, micro detail, micro dynamics, with the music I already own (98% 16-44), just as Schiit claims.

YMMV, IMO,etc.

Oh,and I think it's important to go with a true 75 ohm BNC-BNC cable in this setup.

Jan 26, 2016 at 5:22 PM Post #8,976 of 9,484
What is there to control volume if you have powered monitors connected that have no volume control?

Is there some sort of passive remote volume control? 

Jan 26, 2016 at 7:29 PM Post #8,978 of 9,484
This is what I use to control Volume using the Ygg http://www.goldpt.com/sa1x.html
Works a treat. 

Was really hoping for one w/ a remote. There is this one two https://emotiva.com/products/electronics/control-freak

I guess I'll be thinking about this for a while.

The goldpt looks impressive though.

Jan 26, 2016 at 8:45 PM Post #8,979 of 9,484
Thanks for the input! Interesting on your BNC recommendation. The Bel Canto founder (John Stronczer) has done an interview where he said to use optical to decouple the systems... Which they're probably doing with their Black hardware. Here's a link to the interview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy9KcV-6oBM

Jan 27, 2016 at 1:29 AM Post #8,980 of 9,484
Thanks for the input! Interesting on your BNC recommendation. The Bel Canto founder (John Stronczer) has done an interview where he said to use optical to decouple the systems... Which they're probably doing with their Black hardware. Here's a link to the interview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy9KcV-6oBM

Right, he's talking about ST glass fiber (not toslink). Yggy doesn't have that input.

At our upcoming meet, we're going to listen to some different usb; John Kenny, bel canto, Yggy Gen 3 with Wyrd, probably have a Gumby there too. We'll see what all shows up.

Thanks for the link.

Jan 28, 2016 at 9:36 AM Post #8,981 of 9,484
Right, he's talking about ST glass fiber (not toslink). Yggy doesn't have that input.

At our upcoming meet, we're going to listen to some different usb; John Kenny, bel canto, Yggy Gen 3 with Wyrd, probably have a Gumby there too. We'll see what all shows up.

Thanks for the link.

You might want to reach out to @bimmer100, if he's around. He has a number of DDCs he's comparing, and his computer-audio setup is probably one of the best/cleanest I've seen.

I'd be very interested to read a comparison on the differences between the Breeze or DIXO and Yggy Gen3. I'd also be VERY interesting in a comparison of Yggy and Gumby using the same USB transport.

Jan 28, 2016 at 10:06 AM Post #8,982 of 9,484

You might want to reach out to @bimmer100, if he's around. He has a number of DDCs he's comparing, and his computer-audio setup is probably one of the best/cleanest I've seen.

I'd be very interested to read a comparison on the differences between the Breeze or DIXO and Yggy Gen3. I'd also be VERY interesting in a comparison of Yggy and Gumby using the same USB transport.

I could bring the super modded U12 I have - i2s is it's best output, the COAX is not working on this currently, but I have added crystek 957's on converter boards and dip14 sockets, upgraded 3300uf LOW ESR panasonic caps,  pulled the LM317d2t crapola 5v regulator and replaced with dexa New Class D regulator, and recently pulled that regulator and upgraded to a MUCH better Belleson SPJ17 MK2 Superpower regulator with insanely good specs! The U12 also has had it's ac transfomer gutted out, replaced with direct input of dc linear power from a Teradak DC30w @7v.  The LVDS has been replaced to be compatible with Audio-GD/PSAudio standard pinout for hdmi.  This U12 is special.

Also I can bring the PRO3A with ultra low noise regulators and C0G cap's for spdif - NDK oscillators! this one's specs are impressive for a stock ddc - I'm getting this one in the mail today actually.

not the breeze as the one I ordered was defective, crackly pop what? Returning it to china today, will order a new for the DDC comparison tests. 

I have my DIU8 torn apart now, waiting for spare xmos boards. will have stock oscillators, crystek 957's, and NDK's. This one has a lot of potential with 5 separate non feedback psu's from r-core transfomer. Kingwa knows what he is doing.

Also I am planning to build my own DDC based off the WaveIO with 7 regulators and ndk's! this one has the most promise of all ddc's i've seen. only 99 for the pcb, you add inputs and connections, psu etc etc. very well thought out ddc. I may integrate it into my M11 in replacement of the Amanero Combo 384. 

ANYHOW, funny how headfi notifies you of people mentioning you. I didn't expect to show up on this thread. And in response to Gefski too! sort of. Well, i'll see you at the met this weekend, let me know if I should bring stuff. I have a killer digital Coax cable and optical cable if you prefer those flavors. and bnc adapter for the coax.
audio sensibility Silver SE digtal Coax, and Lifatec Silflex 470strands of glass fibers/ toslink optical cable. But I prefer i2s HDMI, too bad the yggy doesn't have this input. 

Jan 28, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #8,983 of 9,484
You might want to reach out to @bimmer100
, if he's around. He has a number of DDCs he's comparing, and his computer-audio setup is probably one of the best/cleanest I've seen.

atomicbob has done some yggy gumby bimby comparisons. Can't remember where he posted them, maybe the DIYr's Cookbook.

I won't have to reach too far for bimmer100, we go to the same meets. :D

Jan 28, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #8,984 of 9,484
I have a killer digital Coax cable and optical cable if you prefer those flavors. and bnc adapter for the coax audio sensibility Silver SE digtal Coax, and Lifatec Silflex 470strands of glass fibers/ toslink optical cable. But I prefer i2s HDMI, too bad the yggy doesn't have this input. 

Yes, I bring extra cabling also. With all the swapping, someone always needs something.

I've got leftover i2s cables from the Audio Alchemy days, haven't been able to use them in years. Wish I could try them, i2s is considered very good for digital transmission.

Jan 28, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #8,985 of 9,484
Yes, I bring extra cabling also. With all the swapping, someone always needs something.

I've got leftover i2s cables from the Audio Alchemy days, haven't been able to use them in years. Wish I could try them, i2s is considered very good for digital transmission.

What kind of i2s cables? News i2s is using HDMI cables for transport as they are better than the old rj45 cables. Much better shielding. And i2s was designed for connections within a Dac so the most ideal is a very short cable no more than 12inch or less. My Dac definitely sounds best with i2s input. Far better than coax, bnc, toslink or dual 3pin xlr. Just my opinion, but I have all those options at least.
I don't have rj45 i2s, but have the module if I want to add it to my list of inputs. I just prefer HDMI. Yet I may put the rj45 i2s module in my m11 so I can try the breeze DDC i2s rj45. I don't know why they chose rj45... So odd. I may install a HDMI i2s output module in the breeze. Which would be the best route.
I will bring a box of cables and such. Some stuff will be for sale. :)
I have too much stuff now. both the gumby and the yggy have excellent USB inputs as far as jitter is concerned. But I'm unsure of what oscillators they chose and how accurate they are compared to crystek 957's, or the new NDK's that are smaller than a grain of rice. Those hold the title for best oscillators. Unfortunately many dacs choose mediocre oscillators at best... Anyone know the specifics of the gumby and yggy's oscillators? Might be interesting to compare
Or simply we can try the pro3a DDC with the yggy and gumby and see if we can hear improvements. The NDK's are hard to beat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back