New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Jan 28, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #8,986 of 9,484

What kind of i2s cables? News i2s is using HDMI cables for transport as they are better than the old rj45 cables. Much better shielding. And i2s was designed for connections within a Dac so the most ideal is a very short cable no more than 12inch or less. My Dac definitely sounds best with i2s input. Far better than coax, bnc, toslink or dual 3pin xlr. Just my opinion, but I have all those options at least.
I don't have rj45 i2s, but have the module if I want to add it to my list of inputs. I just prefer HDMI. Yet I may put the rj45 i2s module in my m11 so I can try the breeze DDC i2s rj45. I don't know why they chose rj45... So odd. I may install a HDMI i2s output module in the breeze. Which would be the best route.
I will bring a box of cables and such. Some stuff will be for sale. :)
I have too much stuff now. both the gumby and the yggy have excellent USB inputs as far as jitter is concerned. But I'm unsure of what oscillators they chose and how accurate they are compared to crystek 957's, or the new NDK's that are smaller than a grain of rice. Those hold the title for best oscillators. Unfortunately many dacs choose mediocre oscillators at best... Anyone know the specifics of the gumby and yggy's oscillators? Might be interesting to compare
Or simply we can try the pro3a DDC with the yggy and gumby and see if we can hear improvements. The NDK's are hard to beat.

This kind. Pre computer audio. Chloe doesn't like 'em either.

Jan 29, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #8,988 of 9,484
An interesting technical discovery.  Apparently the USB receiver used in the Yggdrasil (and in the Gungnir, by the way) cannot be used with Linux USB kernels after 3.14 (USB 1.1.)  The latest USB 2.0 kernel sees the C-Media chip in Schiit DACs as both a keyboard and as an audio receiver, and it cannot negotiate which one to use so it defaults out in error.  Both the Yggdrasil and Gungnir worked fine when connected to my music server using Fedora 20, but when I upgraded the OS to Fedora 23, neither DAC could be used.  The OS gave me a "USB over current error" but the truth is it had nothing to do with power draw, it throws the same error if it cannot negotiate a handshake with the receiver.

This is being looked at by some of the Linux Developers.  So far it seems to be unique to the specific C-Media chip used by Schiit as other DACs using different C-Media receivers function fine.  Hopefully they will find a way around it in the software...

Jan 30, 2016 at 8:43 AM Post #8,990 of 9,484
I am going to buy a Yggdrasil and a Ragnarok in the next 3 months to replace my Lyr and Bifrost Uber. I have bought Wywires balanced interconnects to connect them. Do I need to still connect them with a single ended RCA type interconnect so I can use my standard single ended headphones too? Would it sound better if I did?

Feb 1, 2016 at 10:45 PM Post #8,994 of 9,484
Feb 1, 2016 at 11:15 PM Post #8,995 of 9,484
Guys! Just got my Ragnarok today and loving it ^,^
Does it sound any better from burn in?

I did notice a bit of improvement as my Rok aged, but it was much less than other gear and took less time to fully 'stabilize' than any other piece of gear I have experienced.

Just another perspective.

JJ

Feb 2, 2016 at 7:10 AM Post #8,996 of 9,484
Guys! Just got my Ragnarok today and loving it ^,^
Does it sound any better from burn in?

Tiny bit. Synergistic Red fuses improved the sound, so much so my girlfriend noticed the difference immediately, and it was not subtle to her ears.

Feb 2, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #8,997 of 9,484
A while back there was a post that the silver finish was beneficial for sonic reasons. Is this some sort of an urban myth or is there any truth to it? It sure sounds strange to me, but I've heard stranger things in audiophilia.

Feb 2, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #8,998 of 9,484
  A while back there was a post that the silver finish was beneficial for sonic reasons. Is this some sort of an urban myth or is there any truth to it? It sure sounds strange to me, but I've heard stranger things in audiophilia.

confused_face.gif

Feb 2, 2016 at 12:12 PM Post #8,999 of 9,484

What years in this hobby (and life in general) have taught me - even the wildest theories have their supporters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back