New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Feb 27, 2016 at 8:26 PM Post #9,018 of 9,484
What's the best HP for the rag that (1) would be a best value proposition below $2k, and (2)  would complement an LCD 2f, i.e. the LCD 2f is terrific at what it does best, full tones from the sub-bass up, however it's sound stage is close and imagining, refinement could be bettered.    At present am looking closely at an HE-6 as it is a bargain and would complement (?) the LCD -2s and could take advantage of the rag's ability to drive these difficult HPs. 

A mention of other candidates would be appreciated.

Feb 28, 2016 at 12:10 AM Post #9,019 of 9,484
What's the best HP for the rag that (1) would be a best value proposition below $2k, and (2)  would complement an LCD 2f, i.e. the LCD 2f is terrific at what it does best, full tones from the sub-bass up, however it's sound stage is close and imagining, refinement could be bettered.    At present am looking closely at an HE-6 as it is a bargain and would complement (?) the LCD -2s and could take advantage of the rag's ability to drive these difficult HPs. 

I really like how my MrSpeaker's ETHER sounds when driven by my mighty Ragnarock. The Rag makes my Ether sing like a muse. The ETHER sounds so natural and ever so resolute, when driven by the Ragnarock, in balanced XLR mode. :)

Feb 29, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #9,020 of 9,484

Maybe the new Sennheiser HD-800S if you want a good complementary headphone with a much larger soundstage.

Mar 1, 2016 at 11:07 AM Post #9,023 of 9,484
  Don't fool yourself I'm sure Sennheiser doesn't care about MrSpeakers.  They do what they want to do as the industry leader.

My thoughts exactly.

Mar 1, 2016 at 3:05 PM Post #9,025 of 9,484
  Who is  losing market share.  

And what does industry leadership have to do with SQ?​

You said Sennheiser was "trying to catch up to the Ethers."  I said don't be foolish, Sennheiser likely doesn't even know (or care) they exist. 

Whatever.

Mar 1, 2016 at 9:39 PM Post #9,026 of 9,484
  You said Sennheiser was "trying to catch up to the Ethers."  I said don't be foolish, Sennheiser likely doesn't even know (or care) they exist. 

Whatever.

If you are going to quote someone, you ought to do it competently.  I wrote " Seems Sennheiser may be trying to catch up to the Ethers."

To which you responded with a nonsequetor: "Don't fool yourself I'm sure Sennheiser doesn't care about MrSpeakers.  They do what they want to do as the industry leader."    That's nonsense.  There is no way I will be fooled.   I am not going to "fooled" into believing Sennheiser will catch, he11 I even clearly stated "Senneheiser MAY BE trying to catch up."   Where do you get off calling me a fool.

And you ought to quote your self more accurately.  You wrote: "Don't fool yourself I'm sure Sennheiser doesn't care about MrSpeakers."   That is a statement of fact which you subsequently modified to one of probability claiming you had "said don't be foolish, Sennheiser likely doesn't even know (or care) they exist."   

If you are going to response to my postings you ought to take the trouble to read them and quote accurately, otherwise you come off as a pop off.

Goethe wrote: "When we know little, certitude comes easily, when we learn more doubt creeps in." 

Mar 1, 2016 at 10:01 PM Post #9,027 of 9,484

Whatever.

Seems to me like Ether was a quick flash and over--not so many fans talking about it now.  Perhaps that's because HEX and Mojo have distracted everyone. It has a following and I'm sure they are good but MrSpeakers is a fly spec compared to Sennheiser.  Introduced in 2009 (that's 7years) the HD800 is still the yardstick for all others.  Truth be told, I'd love it if MrSpeakers hits one out of the universe with their next model but I don't think Sennheiser would care about that either.

Mar 2, 2016 at 1:05 AM Post #9,029 of 9,484
Right. Back on topic there are a lot of excellent headphones to try. Ragnarok will be accurate and unbiased in Amplifying the input signal and has the power to drive most anything. Really depends on what you like.

Mar 2, 2016 at 10:46 AM Post #9,030 of 9,484

Seems to me like Ether was a quick flash and over--not so many fans talking about it now.  Perhaps that's because HEX and Mojo have distracted everyone. It has a following and I'm sure they are good but MrSpeakers is a fly spec compared to Sennheiser.  Introduced in 2009 (that's 7years) the HD800 is still the yardstick for all others.  Truth be told, I'd love it if MrSpeakers hits one out of the universe with their next model but I don't think Sennheiser would care about that either.

Plenty of love for both Ether and Ether-C on the appropriate threads.  Just take a look.

I have an update concerning Yggdrasil.  I've been using mine (which was among the first shipping batch and has been in use since last April) fed via USB and love the texture and detail it squeezes out of my music files.  However I recently upgraded my player (to a Sonic Orbiter SE) and for whatever reason the USB driver in Fedora 23 will not recognize the Yggdrasil.  Or rather it recognizes it as both an audio device and as a keyboard so it cannot negotiate a proper handshake to stream audio.  So I inserted a device between the two to convert the USB stream into another digital format (a Gustard U12) and connected the Yggdrasil via AES.  The difference was quite apparent.  I don't know if it's the Gustard or if it's because AES is a superior format to USB, but if you have a chance to experiment for yourself I suggest it is a worthy pursuit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back