New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Jan 5, 2016 at 6:50 PM Post #8,956 of 9,484
  The only practical way to get to get true SACD sound is from physical discs. Even is this discless age, it's hard to believe, but it's basically true. And there are many SACDs I own which have sound that sounds amazing and is top of the heap.
So I stick with a good SACD player to get a sound that just can't be duplicated. I feel it's still an Achilles' Heel of computer based audio.
The Stones, Carole King, Billy Joel, the Who, the Doors, classical, and a lot more if you dig always sounds the best to me (sometimes extremely better, with no much sweeter highs and more speed and just plain more natural overall).
I really think it's a crime that the Beatles catalog never went this route. 
Some of the discs have issue, probably a mastering issue, but many are just over-the-top-good. I always get people who argue with me that it's all in the mastering, but even so-called well-mastered versions of many discs don't have that unique
non-digital SACD sound that I've known well since 1999 with my first SACD player.

Agreed. I was hoping there would be some way to play SACDs via the Yiggy.. looks like the SACD player will have to stick around. 

Jan 5, 2016 at 9:34 PM Post #8,957 of 9,484

SACD players don't output a digital signal when playing back SACDs, except possibly if they are only playing back the regular CD layer. 

Happy New Year Amos. Older model PS3 does output digital over HDMI just fine...that's why I've kept mine in my home theatre (even though my son mostly uses the PS4). I still haven't found anything else that can do this?

Jan 6, 2016 at 12:07 AM Post #8,958 of 9,484

SACD players don't output a digital signal when playing back SACDs, except possibly if they are only playing back the regular CD layer. 

Happy New Year Amos. Older model PS3 does output digital over HDMI just fine...that's why I've kept mine in my home theatre (even though my son mostly uses the PS4). I still haven't found anything else that can do this?

I didn't know that! Question is, what frequency does it output if you play an SACD? I imagine it would be internally converted to PCM before output, or it would just output the CD layer?

Jan 6, 2016 at 3:38 AM Post #8,959 of 9,484
Outputs PCM. Older firmware versions could be modified to allow SACD ripping though (iirc been awhile since I looked into it since I realised my PS3 couldn't be modded).

FYI - http://www.ps3sacd.com/index.html

Jan 6, 2016 at 3:56 AM Post #8,960 of 9,484
Can anyone suggest a decent, cheap rack that will sit beside my desk and fit the Ragnarok and Yggdrasil with the PYST cables? The cables are quite short so there needs to be a shelf quite close to the top for it to work. Not sure if anything in Ikea's current range is suitable - it's a bit of a trip to check in person so I'd be interested in whether anyone has tried something.

I'm in Australia so will need to find something local.

Hey I've been planning to build this rack from IKEA bits I saw on IKEA Hackers - http://www.ikeahackers.net/2011/12/ikea-lack-audiophile-rack.html. Best thing is it's cheap! Not sure if its dimensions suit the Ygg though.

Jan 6, 2016 at 9:01 PM Post #8,962 of 9,484

I didn't know that! Question is, what frequency does it output if you play an SACD? I imagine it would be internally converted to PCM before output, or it would just output the CD layer?

It can output Bitstream along with converting to PCM. Pretty cool feature and the only one I know of that can do that. Thus my 10 year old + PS3 isn't going anywhere. It outputs either the CD or SACD layer, you pick!

Jan 7, 2016 at 5:00 PM Post #8,963 of 9,484
I can't answer this question, but I can say that I prefer my Gungnir MB to the BDA-2. 

That's interesting. Wasn't expecting that. I wonder how BDA-3 will compare with Yggy.

Jan 7, 2016 at 6:27 PM Post #8,964 of 9,484
That's interesting. Wasn't expecting that. I wonder how BDA-3 will compare with Yggy.

I wasn't expecting it either. I was impressed by the chatter around multibit DACs and wanted to get a little taste. The Gungnir MB far exceeded my expectations. I don't have any real A/B comparisons of upper-bass or mid-treble and that kind of thing, but what I hear from Gungnir is a wonderful spaciousness and dimensionality that hasn't been present in other DACs I've owned (and the list is long). It's an impressive "in the hall" listening experience, and I'll admit that I'm pretty curious about exactly how much of an upgrade Yggdrasil represents.

The BDA-3 is on my radar as well, mostly because I like the idea of a DAC that can accept DSD/SACD via HDMI. This would lessen my dependence on specific transports for different disc formats (I have a Sony XA-5400ES that I only use for SACDs, etc.).

Jan 8, 2016 at 12:25 AM Post #8,965 of 9,484
but what I hear from Gungnir is a wonderful spaciousness and dimensionality

Well put. I'll add natural timbre, texture, and a relaxed musical flow that's hard to put into words.

The usual A/B frequency response comparisons and talk are silly with dacs of this caliber.

IMOYMMV etc.

Jan 9, 2016 at 3:26 PM Post #8,966 of 9,484

I wasn't expecting it either. I was impressed by the chatter around multibit DACs and wanted to get a little taste. The Gungnir MB far exceeded my expectations. I don't have any real A/B comparisons of upper-bass or mid-treble and that kind of thing, but what I hear from Gungnir is a wonderful spaciousness and dimensionality that hasn't been present in other DACs I've owned (and the list is long). It's an impressive "in the hall" listening experience, and I'll admit that I'm pretty curious about exactly how much of an upgrade Yggdrasil represents.

The BDA-3 is on my radar as well, mostly because I like the idea of a DAC that can accept DSD/SACD via HDMI. This would lessen my dependence on specific transports for different disc formats (I have a Sony XA-5400ES that I only use for SACDs, etc.).

Interesting results. I would also like to know if you've compared the AES of both BDA-2 and Yggy? I'm thinking Yggy has a better USB input?

Jan 22, 2016 at 7:14 PM Post #8,970 of 9,484
  Long story short it's not as good. Still an amazing DAC regardless. 

well I just saw that the Yggy costs more than the Master 11 Dac/Amp combo... so I think I can safely save a yggy Purchase for a few years down the road! 

BUT! I am going to hear it at a meet in march :D then I get to cry over how poorly my NFb10ES2 sounds in comparison xD  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back