New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Dec 31, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #8,941 of 9,484
  I envy the black, but I couldn't wait and ended up getting silver.

Honestly I was going to wait to buy my rag until our new house finished, but seeing the black option by chance tipped the scale and I bought now. Was able to listen to it for a few hours last night using my HD650 on single ended cables. I'm really impressed, I have a elekit TU882 which is a solid amp IMO but the rag to me is stunningly better. I had expected a good improvement, but not this much. I was questioning dropping this much on an amp but after hearing it for me it was well worth it. I had my wife listen to it as well. Her comment was "I really wanted to tell you that you were full of ****, and that it did not make much of a difference, but it's like you are there". She is not an audiophile in any sense; I see the question often asked "what does it take to impress a non audiophile", and I guess for some the rag can do that. I can't wait to see how the sound evolves with burn in.

Next upgrade will either be to swap my DAC to a Yggy or some orthodynamic Cans. Going to keep an eye on the schiit site. Yggy upgrade timing is dependent on catching a run of black ones.

Dec 31, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #8,942 of 9,484

I envy the black, but I couldn't wait and ended up getting silver.

Honestly I was going to wait to buy my rag until our new house finished, but seeing the black option by chance tipped the scale and I bought now. Was able to listen to it for a few hours last night using my HD650 on single ended cables. I'm really impressed, I have a elekit TU882 which is a solid amp IMO but the rag to me is stunningly better. I had expected a good improvement, but not this much. I was questioning dropping this much on an amp but after hearing it for me it was well worth it. I had my wife listen to it as well. Her comment was "I really wanted to tell you that you were full of ****, and that it did not make much of a difference, but it's like you are there". She is not an audiophile in any sense; I see the question often asked "what does it take to impress a non audiophile", and I guess for some the rag can do that. I can't wait to see how the sound evolves with burn in.

Next upgrade will either be to swap my DAC to a Yggy or some orthodynamic Cans. Going to keep an eye on the schiit site. Yggy upgrade timing is dependent on catching a run of black ones.

I was in the same boat. Schiit told me it would probably be around March (or a bit later) before any black Yggdrasils are in stock. I decided I couldn't wait that long and just went with the silver Ygg/Rag (although it's been over 2 weeks with no movement, waiting for a status update from Schiit). 
biggrin.gif

Jan 1, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #8,943 of 9,484
In case anyone wonders what a B-stock Yggy looks like: mine is two-tone! The photo kind of exaggerates it, and in real life, it looks more like a shadow from a distance. There are distinct bands about 1.5 inches wide running vertically on the dark side.

Jan 1, 2016 at 4:04 PM Post #8,944 of 9,484
I recently got the GungnirMB,used...I'm using it with a Spritzer tube amp,and the 009's...
Grabbed the gungnirMB,for $940.00,,I know,I know,just couldn't resist.,there are a few marks on the top of the case....

Should I expect a major increase in SQ if/when I upgrade to the Yiggy??
Is hoping for a 10% change,am I ,asking too much,or,am I dreaming.

Sorry to be a bit off topic.

Mike

Jan 1, 2016 at 5:43 PM Post #8,945 of 9,484
And if anyone wants to know what a B-Stock Ragnarok looks like:

Actually, I did, in the middle of a sunny bright day, one time find some minor blemishes. And I looked, just now, before taking the picture to try to find them again... 
tongue.gif

I dunno. All I really wanted to say is B-Stock just means the blemish is there, somewhere (or someone told me once that a return may be considered B-Stock). Schiit understands that some people want perfection, and other people just want their Schiit to sound good. The B-Stock is potluck 
wink.gif

Jan 1, 2016 at 7:07 PM Post #8,946 of 9,484
Yea, I think that I head that a B stock just means some blemish in the finishing(anodizing) but not like scratches and such. Honestly if I wasn't set on getting black schiit I would purchase B stock without a second thought. I mean an extra 400 after a the purchase of the premium schiit stack, not a bad start for some hand made cables. 

Jan 2, 2016 at 7:39 AM Post #8,947 of 9,484
I ended up ordering,this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002YUQ4E?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00 ,

Maybe it will work on the Gungnirmb,I just got??
On a scale of 1-10 I'd say the damage is about a 8,or 9.

Almost any B level gear I've gotten from Schiit,has almost been perfect,I said,..almost???

Jan 2, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #8,948 of 9,484
I ended up ordering,this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002YUQ4E?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00 ,

Maybe it will work on the Gungnirmb,I just got??
On a scale of 1-10 I'd say the damage is about a 8,or 9.

Almost any B level gear I've gotten from Schiit,has almost been perfect,I said,..almost???

Used it for years to polish alloy wheels. Does a beautiful job on curves & contours, but I think it may be difficult to get an even finish on a flat surface. You can try it underneath.

It does a great job on dirty contacts (nos tube pins, etc) followed by caig red/gold.

Jan 5, 2016 at 5:21 AM Post #8,949 of 9,484
Kinda funny - I'm now streaming Tidal via COAX (from my CD transport into the Yggy). Oppo BDP-105 is my universal disc transport, and it just recently (through firmware update) added Tidal to its list of streaming services. It also has Pandora, Spotify and some others. But Tidal was the one I immediately jumped on!

::

Until I'm told by the people with real Golden Ears, I'll vouch for three transports I own:

1. Oppo BDP-105
  2. Oppo BDP-93 (my guess is all the Oppo sound good)
  3. Toshiba SD9200 (only on Yggy - Gumby takes too long to lock onto the signal)

I'll pass on all the rest as either being too noisy (such as having a fan) or just not having a strong digital signal. For example, my Denon transports all have this odd glare, like when someone turns up the sharpness of a television. And most the others are just missing a layer of detail.

Is SACD playback supported via OPPO 105 through the Yiggy?

Jan 5, 2016 at 6:32 AM Post #8,950 of 9,484
Is SACD playback supported via OPPO 105 through the Yiggy?

SACD players don't output a digital signal when playing back SACDs, except possibly if they are only playing back the regular CD layer. 

Jan 5, 2016 at 8:17 AM Post #8,951 of 9,484

SACD players don't output a digital signal when playing back SACDs, except possibly if they are only playing back the regular CD layer. 

Thanks Amos. 

How does one get to order the black edition of the Yiggy? it looks fab!

Jan 5, 2016 at 8:27 AM Post #8,952 of 9,484

Thanks Amos. 

How does one get to order the black edition of the Yiggy? it looks fab!

Email them and ask. They only do a few batches occasionally. I couldn't wait so I got silver. 

Jan 5, 2016 at 1:42 PM Post #8,953 of 9,484
The only practical way to get to get true SACD sound is from physical discs. Even is this discless age, it's hard to believe, but it's basically true. And there are many SACDs I own which have sound that sounds amazing and is top of the heap.
So I stick with a good SACD player to get a sound that just can't be duplicated. I feel it's still an Achilles' Heel of computer based audio.
The Stones, Carole King, Billy Joel, the Who, the Doors, classical, and a lot more if you dig always sounds the best to me (sometimes extremely better, with no much sweeter highs and more speed and just plain more natural overall).
I really think it's a crime that the Beatles catalog never went this route. 
Some of the discs have issue, probably a mastering issue, but many are just over-the-top-good. I always get people who argue with me that it's all in the mastering, but even so-called well-mastered versions of many discs don't have that unique
non-digital SACD sound that I've known well since 1999 with my first SACD player.

Jan 5, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #8,954 of 9,484
Can anyone suggest a decent, cheap rack that will sit beside my desk and fit the Ragnarok and Yggdrasil with the PYST cables? The cables are quite short so there needs to be a shelf quite close to the top for it to work. Not sure if anything in Ikea's current range is suitable - it's a bit of a trip to check in person so I'd be interested in whether anyone has tried something.

I'm in Australia so will need to find something local.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back