New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
May 18, 2015 at 4:25 AM Post #7,621 of 9,484
Just got my Yggy yesterday, plan on doing some comparisons with the Vega soon.

As a current Vega owner I am really keen to hear your feedback.

May 18, 2015 at 8:00 AM Post #7,623 of 9,484
Wino,
Thanks for your reply. Would it be sufficient to have the Yggdrasil streaming music from my laptop to the amp, while the amp is off? I could not have the amp on all that long as it is tube integrated. Thanks for any warming-up further info.

May 18, 2015 at 10:29 AM Post #7,624 of 9,484
  Wino,
Thanks for your reply. Would it be sufficient to have the Yggdrasil streaming music from my laptop to the amp, while the amp is off? I could not have the amp on all that long as it is tube integrated. Thanks for any warming-up further info.

The DAC should be on all the time, the Amp doesn't have to be, also when you're burning in your equipment, I suggest you do that while listening, as some of it is still going to be mental burn in whether you like it or not, you have to get used to the new sound and hear all of the new nuances.

You don't have to stream music to the DAC 24/7 to keep it alive... :-/

May 18, 2015 at 5:15 PM Post #7,625 of 9,484
B
There are some that feel a 32 bit DSD files are the ultimate in audio files. Then there's some vinyl rigs that provide incredible musical enjoyment providing something the average 32 bit DSD dac could never reproduce. 

Trust your ears because that's what matters. The Yggy dac's "enthusiasm" is extremely strong at the moment. Even though I'm quite interested in the dac I still feel it would not meet my needs in organic sound. I am still willing to try the dac though or at least audition. 

Most $1000-2000+ DAC's  will sound "different."   You must determine the "different" sound signature you prefer in a DAC.

Suggestive positives from schiit followers  may convince you the yggy is the best while some may quietly not post on public forums and return them unsatisfied.  Trust your ears....
. beautiful thank you for the advice man. : )

May 18, 2015 at 6:59 PM Post #7,626 of 9,484
XVampireX,

Thanks! Well, I certainly understand that, it just contradicts other earlier opinions ... But I got it. Just one final question: The 'leaving the DAC all the time' is supposed to be only during the initial warm-up period, correct? Or is it all the time as 'always' no matter how long it has been working? Thanks for any support!

May 18, 2015 at 7:17 PM Post #7,628 of 9,484
  XVampireX,

Thanks! Well, I certainly understand that, it just contradicts other earlier opinions ... But I got it. Just one final question: The 'leaving the DAC all the time' is supposed to be only during the initial warm-up period, correct? Or is it all the time as 'always' no matter how long it has been working? Thanks for any support!

Straight from the manual.

Continuously running music is probably not needed after initial burn in. 

'Burn-in' might not be required, but 'warm-up' is probably always required, as parts need to be at a certain temperature for optimal performance.

May 18, 2015 at 7:19 PM Post #7,629 of 9,484
  Yggy is supposed to be kept on 24/7 as in "always". 

Everything you ever bought for audio is supposed to be one 24/7... if you care.  Yggy is no different.  If you care about the benefit more than the electrical cost... leave it on.  Leave it all on and be glad this is Head-Fi and not Class A 1kW Speaker-Fi :p

May 18, 2015 at 7:20 PM Post #7,630 of 9,484
  Everything you ever bought for audio is supposed to be one 24/7... if you care.  Yggy is no different.  If you care about benefit more than the electrical cost... leave it on.  Leave it all on and be glad this is Head-Fi and not Class A 1kW Speaker-Fi :p

not tube amplifiers though. tubes have a limited life span.

May 18, 2015 at 7:30 PM Post #7,631 of 9,484
  not tube amplifiers though. tubes have a limited life span.

That is shortened by turning them on and off.  I never turned mine off and never had to replace a tube.  To each their own.

May 18, 2015 at 7:38 PM Post #7,632 of 9,484
Ok guys, got it. I'm just not used to leaving audio components always ON. I warm them up for a while and then I listen to the music. When I'm done, I just turn it off. I guess it's my Old School mentality. Given this is an expensive kit, I would not want to 'waste it' but since the builder himself is suggesting this, I'll follow suit. Thanks for the heads up!

May 18, 2015 at 7:44 PM Post #7,633 of 9,484
  That is shortened by turning them on and off.  I never turned mine off and never had to replace a tube.  To each their own.

that's not what is recommended in the schiit user manual for their tube amplifiers.

Schiit Vali
LIFE AND DEATH OF TUBES Tubes do have a lifespan. In the case of Vali, about 10,000-20,000 hours. That means...turn it off when you’re not using it. It’s that simple.

Schiit Valhalla 2
Can I leave Valhalla on all the time? You can, but it will significantly shorten your tubes’ effective lifespan (5,000 hours is about 200 days). For best life, we recommend you turn the amplifier off when you’re not going to use it for more than an hour.

Schiit Lyr 2
Can I leave Lyr on all the time? You can, but it shortens tube lifespan (5,000 hrs is only about 200 days).

Woo Audio WA7
 DO NOT Leave the amp running unattended. (We suggest a maximum of 8 hours of continuous use, allowing the tubes time to cool before using again) 

ymmv.

May 18, 2015 at 7:45 PM Post #7,634 of 9,484
I don't know about leaving the amp on all the time, especially the Ragnarok, that bad boy gets HOT and honestly can warm up a small room. Might be a cost savings in the winter though if you leave it on all the time, no need for a space heater.

May 18, 2015 at 7:45 PM Post #7,635 of 9,484

From what I understand, both can have detrimental effects to a tube. And also, if a tube is about to fail, the greatest chance of it happening is during the turn on/off phase. I think the recommended way to balance this is to keep the amp on if you are going to listen again in a relatively short amount of time, and then turn off when you are leaving for an extended period. 

I personally turn my tube amp off when I go to bed for the night. Or if its been on for about 10+ hours, but mostly because thats what the manufacturer recommends (Woo).

In my opinion, I think the act of powering on the tube would be more detrimental than just leaving it on for a short period, but when we are talking about months, or possibly years of time on, then I would think that would overtake whatever gains you get from not cycling in on/off.

BUT, if my tubes weren't so stupidly expensive and my amp had no such recommendation of not leaving it on for extended periods, I think I wouldn't mind trying to keep it on.. if only for the convenience... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back