New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
May 17, 2015 at 12:42 PM Post #7,591 of 9,484
Before I switched to Blue Jeans Cables I was using free cables that came with cassette decks, VCRs, DVD players etc. For 30 years-without any failures. So I am curious about what caused Monoprice failures. Were they short and strained? I've always had at least a little extra length to avoid stress. Is that it?

Maybe I had bad luck but I have had both hossa and monoprice rca cables "short" or have one channel go out several times. Did nothing but plug them in myself and left them alone and bam one channel is gone. Granted it is pretty specific with just rca and yes I did send them back for a freebie but the same thing happened again, listened for a few months and then a channel goes out. Not much fun to trouble shoot either, especially when it's a brand new cable.

When you factor in the time to trouble shoot, the gas burned to drive to the post office, the time lost waiting for a replacement, the fact that proaudiola is not that much more expensive and uses proven neutrik connectors at least for me the choice was very clear.

May 17, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #7,592 of 9,484
Always use good quality cables.  What makes one different from another is the quality of materials and construction.  No need to spend megabucks, and no need to cheap out.  Just use well-made components (from whatever company you prefer) and you'll be fine.

May 17, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #7,593 of 9,484
  Always use good quality cables.  What makes one different from another is the quality of materials and construction.  No need to spend megabucks, and no need to cheap out.  Just use well-made components (from whatever company you prefer) and you'll be fine.

Exactly!

May 17, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #7,594 of 9,484

Yep and I think mogami/proaudila fits that bill perfectly. I have not tried bjc but I have heard good things.

May 17, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #7,595 of 9,484

Absolutely agree.  I prefer XLR over RCA interconnects because they are much more solid mechanically and make better contact.  Have never had any company's XLR cable fail.  If there is a good reason to buy more expensive cables it's that some of them are very well built.  But not all, I had the connectors fall off some very expensive speaker cables years ago.  To their credit the manufacturer replaced them and was very upfront in apologizing that they had run a bad batch because their very expensive connectors were not correctly sized.  It happens.

May 17, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #7,596 of 9,484

Absolutely agree.  I prefer XLR over RCA interconnects because they are much more solid mechanically and make better contact.  Have never had any company's XLR cable fail.  If there is a good reason to buy more expensive cables it's that some of them are very well built.  But not all, I had the connectors fall off some very expensive speaker cables years ago.  To their credit the manufacturer replaced them and was very upfront in apologizing that they had run a bad batch because their very expensive connectors were not correctly sized.  It happens.

Neutrik rca profi connectors fit very tight.

May 17, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #7,597 of 9,484
Optical out of my Creative ZXR sound card is noticeably better than from usb. I prefer the Yggy to my previous dac with the optical, with usb I would take my other dac with optical or coax. With usb I get a degree of reserved vocals and slightly compressed sound with reduced decay. This is with my system ymmv. This is with Wasapi.

May 17, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #7,598 of 9,484
Hi this is great reading so far and even all this cable talk is helpfull so one one day when I get my system up and going I know what to connect it all up with . So what I'd like to find out is ,all my music is now digital ripped form cd s on iTunes using 320 option or the highest setting to rip cd s at , or so I though till I started reding this sight now I find out wave is the best way to rip , if I could go back 7 years . So my question is what does the yiggy sound like when played through with 320 ripped music , are there enough bits left for the yiggy to do something magical with and trance form the sound into well something beautiful , or have to many bits of info been chopped out so its gonna just sound like I don't know like normal . So yes if someone could help me out with this I'd be thankfully . One other thing ld like to know is there a big differance between the theta dac generation v compared to the v va version and if you buy one of these older dac s how long do they last you know will you get another 10 or 20 years out of them , so cool and thanks for all the great reading

May 17, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #7,599 of 9,484
Hi this is great reading so far and even all this cable talk is helpfull so one one day when I get my system up and going I know what to connect it all up with . So what I'd like to find out is ,all my music is now digital ripped form cd s on iTunes using 320 option or the highest setting to rip cd s at , or so I though till I started reding this sight now I find out wave is the best way to rip , if I could go back 7 years . So my question is what does the yiggy sound like when played through with 320 ripped music , are there enough bits left for the yiggy to do something magical with and trance form the sound into well something beautiful , or have to many bits of info been chopped out so its gonna just sound like I don't know like normal . So yes if someone could help me out with this I'd be thankfully . One other thing ld like to know is there a big differance between the theta dac generation v compared to the v va version and if you buy one of these older dac s how long do they last you know will you get another 10 or 20 years out of them , so cool and thanks for all the great reading

Sounds like Ali G is da house.

May 17, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #7,601 of 9,484

There are some that feel a 32 bit DSD files are the ultimate in audio files. Then there's some vinyl rigs that provide incredible musical enjoyment providing something the average 32 bit DSD dac could never reproduce. 

Trust your ears because that's what matters. The Yggy dac's "enthusiasm" is extremely strong at the moment. Even though I'm quite interested in the dac I still feel it would not meet my needs in organic sound. I am still willing to try the dac though or at least audition. 

Most $1000-2000+ DAC's  will sound "different."   You must determine the "different" sound signature you prefer in a DAC.

Suggestive positives from schiit followers  may convince you the yggy is the best while some may quietly not post on public forums and return them unsatisfied.  Trust your ears....

May 17, 2015 at 6:08 PM Post #7,605 of 9,484
The Yggy dac's "enthusiasm" is extremely strong at the moment. Even though I'm quite interested in the dac I still feel it would not meet my needs in organic sound.

You would likely be wrong.  I am a tube DAC affectionado (my "other DACs" are tubed from Wavelength and Kora) and after comparing the Yggdrasil to those, with their "organic sound" that I know and love after years of tube rolling to get things just right,  I am keeping the Schiit in my rack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back