New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
May 16, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #7,576 of 9,484
Humor? Sorry.

Spoofing? Have you read their other posts? These guys must hate moving their headphones around because it breaks up the crystals in the cable that took 1000 hours to lay down properly and orderly for the best sound.

smily_headphones1.gif

Silly Eee Pee! I've solved these issues! I simply place one in each ear! All the Noise is suppressed by many decibels! Of course I can't hear much sound.
If ANYONE wonders I am seeing this in a humorous way. That said- it's all about ENJOYMENT-and if people want to do these things-and they enjoy it-I won't condemn them for it. I will however get a strong chuckle out of such tweaks as crystals.
I would STRONGLY advise anyone to wait for prolonged burn it before replacing any capacitors! 

Evidently people believe that by tying bags of pebbles to their audio cables, etc the crystal lattices in the pebbles will harmonize somehow with the music-and what-make it sound more like Bach? Not sure but people spend money on this. I did NOT make this up! 

" What the heck is it? Brilliant Pebbles is a unique and comprehensive system for tuning the room and audio system based on special physical properties of highly symmetrical crystal structures. Brilliant Pebbles has been evolving since its introduction 6 years ago at the London HI Fi Show, especially the number of applications, many of which were discovered by our customers. Brilliant Pebbles addresses specific resonance control and RFI/EMI absorption problems associated with audio electronics, speakers and cables, as well as acoustic wave problems associated with the listening room boundaries and the 3-dimensional space within the boundaries. Brilliant Pebbles comprises a number of precious and semi-precious stones (crystals) selected for their effectiveness. The original glass bottles for Brilliant Pebbles have been replaced by clear zip lock bags, which have a more linear response than glass. We employ a number of highly-specialized, proprietary techniques in the preparation/assembly of Brilliant Pebbles to enhance the crystals' inherent characteristics. The fundamental operating principle of Brilliant Pebbles involves a number of atomic mechanisms in the crystals. Brilliant Pebbles will enhance the performance of your audio system so your favorite music and even your experience playing online fantasy games will become a mind blowing auditory experience!" 

" The original glass bottles for Brilliant Pebbles have been replaced by clear zip lock bags, which have a more linear response than glass." In other words cheaper to make and ship!

May 16, 2015 at 5:43 PM Post #7,577 of 9,484

Monoprice and Hosa is garbage imo. Had them fail many a time. Mogami has never failed and sounds much more preferable and sounds as good as cables costing many times more and will not cost you much more than MP. With proaudiola you can get your mogami cables down to the inch. Want a 4 foot 9 inch cable? They can make it for you.

Thanks for the info on proaudiola, jibzilla.  Looks like a good source.

May 16, 2015 at 6:03 PM Post #7,578 of 9,484

Monoprice and Hosa is garbage imo. Had them fail many a time. Mogami has never failed and sounds much more preferable and sounds as good as cables costing many times more and will not cost you much more than MP. With proaudiola you can get your mogami cables down to the inch. Want a 4 foot 9 inch cable? They can make it for you.

What do you do to them to make them fail?  I just plug them in and leave them there and they never fail.  I don't want to start yet another cable or testing debate so I'll leave it at that I have Blue Jeans and Monoprice Cables in several systems and have never had a failure.  The XLR connectors on Monoprice's balanced cables are very good quality.  The more expensive cables are usually better built, use better hardware, and even look better--I grant that none of these are bad reasons for buying more costly cables. 

Of course I am one of the numb-eared lucky ones who can't hear the difference between cables.  I honestly feel sorry for those that do.   Everybody should buy a couple of expensive cables, and a some B-Js or Monoprice and see which they prefer.  There's no reason to have cable shame or cable envy if your needs can be satisfied at Monoprice prices.

May 16, 2015 at 6:04 PM Post #7,579 of 9,484
My email exchange with Schiit yesterday:

me: 

[COLOR=222222]Hello,[/COLOR][COLOR=222222]
[/COLOR][COLOR=222222]
[/COLOR][COLOR=222222]I know you guys have been busy with the Yggy release but just[/COLOR][COLOR=222222]
[/COLOR][COLOR=222222]wondering if my "Fully Upgradable, Future-Proof DAC
", Gungnir, can expect any[/COLOR][COLOR=222222]
[/COLOR][COLOR=222222]attention in the near future.[/COLOR][COLOR=222222]
[/COLOR][COLOR=222222]
[/COLOR][COLOR=222222]Thanks,[/COLOR]

[COLOR=222222]Schiit reply:[/COLOR]

[COLOR=222222]We do not discuss future product plans. [/COLOR][COLOR=1155CC]http://schiit.com/about/principles[/COLOR]

me: [COLOR=222222]Ok, hopefully you don't mention them as a selling point and then forget about them either ; )[/COLOR]

[COLOR=222222]Since Schiit won't talk about it, anyone have a purely speculative and therefore basically useless opinion they'd like to share on wether or not we'll see some of the Yggy technologies trickle down to upgrades for the Gung?[/COLOR]

[COLOR=222222]I know I was kind of busting their balls, and companies need to make money and upgrades probably don't have the profit incentives that a new product offers, but if you're going to mention your products are upgradable, I know I for one am hoping for some upgrades.[/COLOR]

Perhaps this post from Mike himself will reassure you

http://www.head-fi.org/t/693798/thoughts-on-a-bunch-of-dacs-and-why-delta-sigma-kinda-sucks-just-to-get-you-to-think-about-stuff/5040#post_11584155

May 16, 2015 at 6:27 PM Post #7,580 of 9,484
What do you do to them to make them fail?  I just plug them in and leave them there and they never fail.  I don't want to start yet another cable or testing debate so I'll leave it at that I have Blue Jeans and Monoprice Cables in several systems and have never had a failure.  The XLR connectors on Monoprice's balanced cables are very good quality.  The more expensive cables are usually better built, use better hardware, and even look better--I grant that none of these are bad reasons for buying more costly cables. 

Of course I am one of the numb-eared lucky ones who can't hear the difference between cables.  I honestly feel sorry for those that do.   Everybody should buy a couple of expensive cables, and a some B-Js or Monoprice and see which they prefer.  There's no reason to have cable shame or cable envy if your needs can be satisfied at Monoprice prices.

Before I switched to Blue Jeans Cables I was using free cables that came with cassette decks, VCRs, DVD players etc. For 30 years-without any failures. So I am curious about what caused Monoprice failures. Were they short and strained? I've always had at least a little extra length to avoid stress. Is that it?

May 16, 2015 at 8:36 PM Post #7,581 of 9,484
  I had been a cable skeptic for a LONG time. To the extent that I was using freebie non insulated RCA cables that came with VCR's or DVD players. A friend had an extra pair of BJC and I borrowed them to compare to my vintage 1989 VCR RCA cables (NOS :)) . I was annoyed that I COULD hear (or believed) an improvement with the Blue Jeans Cables. 

The freebie cables are crap. Really. BJC or some other reputable brand should be on everyone's list.

I don't like Monoprice because they have a habit of stealing other people's product designs. See http://www.cnet.com/news/monoprice-a-tech-consumers-best-friend-or-a-copycat/

May 16, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #7,582 of 9,484
May 17, 2015 at 4:09 AM Post #7,583 of 9,484

Yep mogami is the way to go. What was used to record/produce the vast majority of music out there. Been around for 50 years and come with a lifetime warranty with many 50 year old cables still in use. Proaudiola has custom mogami and have a contract with them to do it at cost. For xlr I like their harness/loom. My whole hifi and dj setup is nothing but mogami.

Thanks for the advice, Just ordered a set of Mogami from proaudiola

May 17, 2015 at 9:15 AM Post #7,584 of 9,484
Perhaps this post from Mike himself will reassure you

http://www.head-fi.org/t/693798/thoughts-on-a-bunch-of-dacs-and-why-delta-sigma-kinda-sucks-just-to-get-you-to-think-about-stuff/5040#post_11584155

They seem like a really stand up crew over there at Schiit and I'm fairly confident they'll do the right thing. Just hoping they don't to get too cocky with a new superstar on their hands and forget about the little people ; )

May 17, 2015 at 9:41 AM Post #7,585 of 9,484
 I had been a cable skeptic for a LONG time. To the extent that I was using freebie non insulated RCA cables that came with VCR's or DVD players. A friend had an extra pair of BJC and I borrowed them to compare to my vintage 1989 VCR RCA cables (NOS :)) . I was annoyed that I COULD hear (or believed) an improvement with the Blue Jeans Cables. 

The freebie cables are crap. Really. BJC or some other reputable brand should be on everyone's list.

I don't like Monoprice because they have a habit of stealing other people's product designs. See http://www.cnet.com/news/monoprice-a-tech-consumers-best-friend-or-a-copycat/

Did you even read the article you posted?

"We can go to that same factory and legally have them make the same product for us," Kumar said. "We're basically selling the product for a lot less money."

May 17, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #7,586 of 9,484
I use Blue Jeans cable because they build cables the way I'd do it myself. Nothing exotic, just high quality components, built to order. I use a pair of 22" XLR from Ragnarok to Yggy, 22" is what fit my rack.

Their response to Monster after being threatened with a lawsuit cemented the deal. Gotta love a company with balls and a sense of humor.

Blue Jeans cable vs Monster

May 17, 2015 at 10:19 AM Post #7,587 of 9,484
Did you even read the article you posted?

"We can go to that same factory and legally have them make the same product for us," Kumar said. "We're basically selling the product for a lot less money.

Uh, did *you* even read the article I posted?

Let me help - here's the interesting tidbit:

In the Klipsch lawsuit, the speaker maker alleges Monoprice has copied more than the look of its speakers. Klipsch alleges the Monoprice speaker system infringes on a surround-sound patent issued in 2004. Klipsch has even accused Monoprice of copying the "substance" of its owner's manual. (One customer noted in the user review section on the Monoprice product page that the manual replaced "Energy" with "Monoprice" in "most places" but still included a reference to "your Energy subwoofer." The site adminstrator for Monoprice replied with a request for the specific citation in order to "forward this accordingly.")

May 17, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #7,589 of 9,484
It is hard to overlook the fact that the discussion started with a claim that Monoprice was crap and would fall apart.  When several argued against this the discussion evolved (devolved?) into claims that Monoprice copies the design of more expensive gears some of which is even made in the same factory as the more expensive gear.  It's for the courts to decide if they have infringed on patents but it's for each of us to decide if we want to buy Monoprice. But you can't have the argument both ways.  Either they are cheap copies or exact copies. My experience has been they are pretty exact and often appear to be the same thing so at least they copy very well.

Mogami makes good cables that don't always cost an arm and a leg so for some that's a good alternative. They are uniformly more expensive than Monoprice and just don't seem all that different TO ME.  We all get to choose how we spend our own money but my personal choice is Monoprice and BJ.  Your choice is your own.

May 17, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #7,590 of 9,484

When a dac accumulates hours of burn time can hear a difference? Can you hear the change in sound stage, layers and details? However you cannot hear the ever so slight difference in cabling?

I guess monoprice and other inexpensive shops is a perfect place to purchase cables. 

What i do find is some extremely well built "pre owned" higher end cables can cost similar to extremely high quality brand new diy cables. 

http://takefiveaudio.com/mall/default.asp  is a shop where they sell diy stuff or they professionally assemble. Their stuff looks great and it's still cheaper then some higher end cabling. 

Blue jeans isn't using high quality cabling.  BJ just uses run of the mill decent cabling with cheap assembly. Nothing wrong with that.....

Cullen cables is a place where I think is great value for the price.  His interconnects sound as good as my much more expensive Morrow Audio ma4 with silver Eichmann bullets. 
I picked up 2 preowned  cullen cables for 75 bucks each while I paid more than double brand new. Still brand new the interconnects is much more revealing than my cheap "Monster cable" interconnects I bought many years ago.

I know we are headphone freaks here but what I find is that there is much more layers and emotion found in a higher end 2 channel system. This is why I'm intrigued in the Yggy because many folks are liking this dac for headphones.I really wonder how much "better" is sounds in a 2 channel.  I seem to hear more improvements in cabling with my 2 channel probably because of more resolution in my gear.  Also room acoustics and speaker position (straight or toe in) can be manipulated. The air in the room has a different presentation to music than the small fixed area in the headphones.

In my HT system and 2 channel I've experimented with the same exact canare 4s11 cables BJ sells and it was like introducing earwax to my ears. Oddly most BJ fans  say it should sound fantastic LOL!! 

My Burson Virtuoso came with inexpensive over seas made blue interconnects that "work".  I'm using them because it reduces the "digititis" because it reduces some details while not adding veil. I can use my other interconnects and increase the hyper details but oddly reduce the musical enjoyment with more detail and less musical sound....go figure LOL!! But mind you I do not have hundreds and hundreds of burn in time on my Virtuoso so I'm awaiting the "headhi approved" musical bliss obtained by heating components like transistors and capacitors with no graphical scientific proof that i've yet seen :wink: (injecting >> silly humour). However the unscientific non believers "think"that cabling cannot be a form of "equalizer" from potential differences of inductance, resistance and capacitance that occur in the  wire???  

Life in general assembled components in a collective group have special characteristics that work "together". Some folks find that putting a $3000 DAC joined with a $2000-5000 amplifier with a $20 dollar junction is perfectly logical. What would be the weakest link?  I would find it totally acceptable to even spend 10% worth of cabling of the combined units.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back