New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
May 13, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #7,411 of 9,484
May 13, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #7,413 of 9,484
Wow I clicked happlily on Amazon search just to get shell shocked with a $2k price(!)

frown.gif

My post was referencing order 988.  Sorry for the confusion

May 13, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #7,414 of 9,484
+1 re: Laura,one of the fastest ,and pleasant Schiit people to do with
Outstanding !!!

+2 For Laura, she is great to work with, and is one of the reasons Schiit Audio's customer service is just great.

May 13, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #7,415 of 9,484

The Ragnarok I had at home didn't even remotely play in the same league with the DAC. As such I didn't think it competes for space in this thread, but it can surely have a separate space imo.

I think of the Ragnarok as a "value" product in good Schiit style, but the DAC is quite something else. 

Which amp have you auditioned (or do you own) that you feel would be a match for the capabilities of the Yggdrasil?

May 13, 2015 at 5:20 PM Post #7,416 of 9,484

Which amp have you auditioned (or do you own) that you feel would be a match for the capabilities of the Yggdrasil?

+1  Speaker amps?

May 13, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #7,417 of 9,484

I liked the Audio GD HE-9 and Moon 430HA more than the Ragnarok, in this order.

But I prefer the Eddie Current to these, and not by a small margin.

May 13, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #7,418 of 9,484
Ok I gotta brag on Schiit some now. I had a minor heart attack a bit ago when I got an email saying my order had been cancelled. Suspected fraud. I just moved cross country recently and this is a large purchase. Also got new card issued. Blah blah. So I contacted them and within minutes I got a response back. I reordered and didn't lose my place in the queue. A few minutes later another email saying fedex didn't like my addy. It's also a new development in town and got rezoned recently. Again, fun times. So I sorted that away and got another email. Oh boy what now. It was a shipping notice. All the while Laura Z was very helpful and responsive. Comforting also that they're looking out for potential fraudulent purchases. This is all very rare in customer service. Big round of applause for Schiit in that respect. Previous order btw was 31061 and it's on its way. Just in time for my bday. Cheers.

I can't think of a better birthday present.  Happy birthday!

May 13, 2015 at 5:26 PM Post #7,419 of 9,484

I liked the Audio GD HE-9 and Moon 430HA more than the Ragnarok, in this order.

But I prefer the Eddie Current to these, and not by a small margin.

and which Eddie Current amp (that's not the Studio that is not only out of my price range, but seemingly not available in 120V for more than 7 lucky people) would be better than the Audio GD HE-9 or Moon 430HA, in your opinion?  The regular 2A3 MK IV, or something else?

May 13, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #7,420 of 9,484
Over at another pc audio forum, this poster rated the MSB analog dac above the Ygg.

Yesterday, 01:11 PM #25
bplexico

I will post a more considered reply tomorrow. I this it is a very nice DAC for the price. I think the MSB Analog DAC is to my tastes a better DAC for my listening tastes. It draws you in better and is more relaxing and engaging to listen to for long periods of time. A bit richer and full as well. But these are all matters of degrees and personal preference. If I could sell my Analog DAC for the entire cost I have into it, take that money, buy a Yggdrasil and bank the rest, I would not do so. Please be mindful I don't want to start any sort of "my DAC is better than your DAC" wars, and I do think the Yggdrasil is a very nice DAC but I don't have experience with enough DACs at that price point and above to compare it to others or give any thoughts as to its overall value vs a PS Audio DS, Hugo, and many other fine DACs.

It it is quite enjoyable to listen to and I am sure it will make lots of folks happy.

May 13, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #7,421 of 9,484

• 165 hours. I'd like to hear from folks who've had Yggy on up to this point.
  • Decent CD transport. I'd like to hear if any other people have tried spinners vs. USB.
  • For those wanting i2s, I'm curious what converter with i2s out you guys are considering.
  • On phase inversion switch, I'd like to hear from folks using speakers - and what recordings, what source?

1. Hit 172 hours last night, everything got better. Like others have posted it becomes harder to focus on the usual audio terms because the MUSIC becomes so compelling....
2. Using my Oppo 103 as a transport connected to Yggy with a coaxial digital cable.
4. Proac Response 3 for speakers, phase inversion obvious now after break in, before it was a coin toss on most recordings. Obvious recordings for phase inversion: Rickie Lee Jones - It's Like This, from the Oppo

May 13, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #7,422 of 9,484
Wow I clicked happlily on Amazon search just to get shell shocked with a $2k price(!)

frown.gif

Wow, which one did you look up? I have the J15blk (discontinued) and I am looking into the S15: http://www.amazon.com/APC-Conditioner-Battery-Backup-S15BLK/dp/B000WV1I2Q
I am still looking around at others, but APC has been very good on all my other gear.
I mostly wanted the protection and the battery backup, not too concerned about he true sine wave aspect.
I got the J15 after the power flicker for a few seconds and heard very scary POP
eek.gif
 from my system...didn't blow anything up but did not want to hear that again...
confused_face.gif

Now that I have more amps and the Yggy I want another one.

May 13, 2015 at 6:04 PM Post #7,423 of 9,484
Wow, which one did you look up? I have the J15blk (discontinued) and I am looking into the S15: http://www.amazon.com/APC-Conditioner-Battery-Backup-S15BLK/dp/B000WV1I2Q
I am still looking around at others, but APC has been very good on all my other gear.
I mostly wanted the protection and the battery backup, not too concerned about he true sine wave aspect.
I got the J15 after the power flicker for a few seconds and heard very scary POP :eek:  from my system...didn't blow anything up but did not want to hear that again...:confused_face:
Now that I have more amps and the Yggy I want another one.

I see the need for such a device, just need to save up as soon as possible. If I do not get the HE1000 beta cans, I will get this apc unit within the month.

May 13, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #7,425 of 9,484
This is so easy as to confound members...
I will give you an analogy.
When you listen to the news on an AM radio,
Then you stand in front of that person,

Which will be more "realistic" to you?

So yes, we want to hear the breath and life in everything so as to make the experience more real.

To confound this thought is to over-think the obvious.
We all want our experience to be as if we were there.
We want nothing hidden or covered up or withheld from us,
Wich would be tantamount to having equipment that is LYING TO US...
I am quite convinced that a post from a day old member coming into this thread to post negatives and not explain why, to just get banned is because that person is just a total liar ,
And what convinces me the most to not believe one single word,
Is because I have the yggy ,
And at this point, I am the one who doesn't need to explain why,
It should obvious to me that a yggy owner would consider this "godly" dac, "e-n-d g-a-m-e"..(!)
Very easy answers for you:
1- I am not "manipulating sounds with tubes", that is to me an incorrect view.
2- Only poor tube amplification would reduce details and impose its own sonic character.
All good tube amps have transparency .
3-I don't know, and don't care to know anything about "filters".

Last point, sorry if this response comes across a bit harsh but I grow fatigue of the tube stereotype that unknowingly spreads around with posts similar to yours,
As I myself know the difference and am convinced tubes are the superior choice for large amplification, always.
A great tube amp will revieal to you more truth than solid state,
even if it does impose any sonic character.
Those are my own revelations,
Your experience will vary.

So was this guy's posts removed ?  I'm not super familiar w/ this 'other' person you're referring to, however fwiw this dude did state his gear…  As someone else stated… how many posts does someone have to have, in order to make a somewhat negative post ?

I'm an Yggy owner.. I DON'T consider it to be a "godly" "endgame" DAC by any stretch… it is GREAT for the money… I do think it may keep breaking-in for op to or over 400 hrs… I'm hoping so…  It may then become an even greater value than it already is...

You make mostly VERY good points w/ tube amps… I'd extend this to preamps as well… i doubt anyone would call my system euphonic...

David

Users who are viewing this thread

Back