New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
May 13, 2015 at 10:23 PM Post #7,441 of 9,484
My friend with the Yggy is going to short out the unused digital inputs tonight.  He is using bnc so he will be shorting the coax and xlr inputs.  I did this on a Theta Gen III years ago to good effect.  I will let you know if he hears an improvement (hmmm, I wonder if you can short a usb input?).  Sometime late this weekend he is going to take off the cover and take pics and send them to me and also replace the fuse with an audiophile fuse.  Better fuses give more meat on the bones and lower distortion across the board.  I will let you know how that goes.  I am very curious as to what is under the hood.  We can clearly see the main boards but those pics do not show the insides of the chassis.  Someone took apart his Gungnir and told me that there is a second chassis inside that is possibly steel.  Is there a second chassis inside the Yggy?  We will find out.  More tweaks coming later.

May 13, 2015 at 10:24 PM Post #7,442 of 9,484
forgot to unsub from the thread

May 13, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #7,444 of 9,484
David,
What are you talking about? We all know that cables don't matter!  
wink.gif

tongue.gif

May 13, 2015 at 10:28 PM Post #7,445 of 9,484
  You make a great point-

I will tell you, in Barr's system & more so in mine… the MSB Analog DAC imo, does NOT give up any detail to the Yggy… it just offers up a slightly less crystalline way of doing so-  Also a bit more analog flow and 'meat on the bones'...

Keep in mind, this is also w/ the NEW Quad Rate USB module that is being raved about… itself a 1600.00 add on...

I suspect that the Yggy may also benefit from 400+ hrs of break-in, like my buddy found on the Bifrost..

David

Yup.....400 hrs was the magic number on my Bifrost. 

That was nothing compared to my C-J CT-5 pre...which took 1000 to 1200 hours.....it was worth it in the long run,  but it sure was a loooonggg run...

May 13, 2015 at 10:33 PM Post #7,446 of 9,484

Pre amp is the difference.

Marv, the preamp is the same with either DAC.

FWIW, David has one of the best sounding systems I've ever heard. I haven't heard Yggy in his system yet, but it was a "destination system" when he had his MSB Analog DAC. 

The big problem is MSB is comprised of a bunch of geek engineers who really do not understand the true meaning of customer support and their technical literature is unbelievably bad....

May 13, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #7,447 of 9,484
I want my DAC to sound like nothing. I want it to just give me the data and let my amps and headphones do the coloring. I have several amps and cans that I can swap out. I just want a DAC to give the waveforms.

I would prefer it to be this way as well, but there are those darn implementation trade-offs that prevent this from being entirely the case. You pays your money and takes your chances. I'm keeping both my ygg and vega as they offer two different presentations of the same data, albeit exemplary in both cases.

May 13, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #7,448 of 9,484
  They properly decouple everything close to the chips like they should, there's no issue with that. The machining expense is mostly coming from doing a unibody chassis, not to mention all the mounting protrusions for their transformers. It probably performs better but at what cost

For a lot of MSB's customers, the cost doesn't matter. These are the same people that will also spend more than $100,000 on a pair of loudspeakers. 

May 13, 2015 at 10:46 PM Post #7,449 of 9,484
  My friend with the Yggy is going to short out the unused digital inputs tonight.  He is using bnc so he will be shorting the coax and xlr inputs.  I did this on a Theta Gen III years ago to good effect.  I will let you know if he hears an improvement (hmmm, I wonder if you can short a usb input?).  Sometime late this weekend he is going to take off the cover and take pics and send them to me and also replace the fuse with an audiophile fuse.  Better fuses give more meat on the bones and lower distortion across the board.  I will let you know how that goes.  I am very curious as to what is under the hood.  We can clearly see the main boards but those pics do not show the insides of the chassis.  Someone took apart his Gungnir and told me that there is a second chassis inside that is possibly steel.  Is there a second chassis inside the Yggy?  We will find out.  More tweaks coming later.

Have you tried 'all' the fancy fuses Ric ?   What's your favorite ?

I'm gonna wait until I'm sure it's broken in before doing anything...

Also, keep in mind, any mods void the Schiit warranty..

May 13, 2015 at 10:50 PM Post #7,450 of 9,484
Hit 165.5 hrs.  Learned a lot from the Yggy.   Like my tube amp is shrilly until it warms for an hour.  At 3 hours it sounds great.   Lots of detail in the upper mids and trebles.  If you aren't use to focused clarity it is eye (or ear) opening.   And I think my Yggy is still maturing.   So onward to 500 hrs.  

For single ended output users any preference which of the two sets you prefer or no difference?   Been using the inside pair and just switch to the outside and I may like it better.

May 13, 2015 at 11:17 PM Post #7,452 of 9,484
  Hit 165.5 hrs.  Learned a lot from the Yggy.   Like my tube amp is shrilly until it warms for an hour.  At 3 hours it sounds great.   Lots of detail in the upper mids and trebles.  If you aren't use to focused clarity it is eye (or ear) opening.   And I think my Yggy is still maturing.   So onward to 500 hrs.  

For single ended output users any preference which of the two sets you prefer or no difference?   Been using the inside pair and just switch to the outside and I may like it better.

My C-J tube amplification chain also takes an hour to fully warm up and come onto "full song"...it's very common with tube equipment. 

May 14, 2015 at 4:19 AM Post #7,453 of 9,484
  120 hrs on mine and games sound fine via usb. It's a bit like Baldr's comments on electronic music, it's hard to make a comparison when it's artificial to begin with. It sounds fine through Yggy, it sounded fine on my NAD.

Oh... that actually makes things easier for me, as it means I probably wont need anything above an uber bifrost.
Im not trying to say I would not rather have a Yggy, but 90% of my free time I spend playing games, so the yggy might be overkill :>

Althou note that most games nowdays use recorded music and voice acting.

May 14, 2015 at 4:24 AM Post #7,455 of 9,484
  is there a confusion between burning time and warm up ?  it seems strange that the internal temp of the yggi could change after 24h of use ?  

There's still a lot to learn about electronics. It's very common in metrology across most industries to leave test equipment on long term. 1 week warm up times are fairly common and accepted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back