New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
May 14, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #7,471 of 9,484

I'd be interested to see what brand and model that would provide power conditioning remotely close to my Blue circle GICPO and my other BC power conditioning products.

Just like any product there's always different forms of capabilities. I would imagine an inexpensive $800 UPS couldn't even be remotely close to a dedicated BC power conditioning unit as far as SQ is concerned. 

Shunyata Triton. 

May 14, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #7,472 of 9,484

1) Does the build in USB board use any of the 5v of the usb line or would it still work if there is no 5v?

Yes it uses it and will not work without. Hence I suspect it will also be sensitive to 5V power line quality.

2) Did anyone compare the usb input with an audiophileo spdiff converter?

I am familiar with the Audiophilleo, Hydra, PUC2Lite, Ifi Ilink. I think the USB input is better than any of these. I had 2-3 of those around at the same time, so I know how they respectively sound to each other, but I no longer have most of those so grain of salt.

From my brief comparison, I think the awesome soundstage and some of the detail level is directly influenced by using the built-in USB interface. Changing the interface however can and will affect presentation. 

thanks for your reply

its good to hear the usb implementation is on par if not better than the audiophileo. i have an AP2 so i will test it eventually.
I also have an AQvox linear 5v psu but in my current system it only leads to more drops in connection. it could be the extra connector is simply to much.
 who knows maybe it will help with the yggy

May 14, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #7,474 of 9,484
  Hey Alan-

What made you choose BC ?  Did you try other conditioners to compare the SQ ?  Their products look very interesting !

David

Looks interesting is a good way to put it.  They look like something I would have built in shop back in junior high. 
tongue.gif

May 14, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #7,475 of 9,484

I'd be interested to see what brand and model that would provide power conditioning remotely close to my Blue circle GICPO and my other BC power conditioning products.

Just like any product there's always different forms of capabilities. I would imagine an inexpensive $800 UPS couldn't even be remotely close to a dedicated BC power conditioning unit as far as SQ is concerned. 

See http://superuser.com/questions/912679/when-do-i-need-a-pure-sine-wave-ups/912749#912749 for an example of true (or pure) sine wave output from an UPS as compared to what you get from the wall.

Personally, I wouldn't plug a power or integrated amp into an UPS. However, I don't see it being a problem with DAC's and headphone amps.

(I use a Bryston BIT-15 with all my gear, including the integrated amp.)

May 14, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #7,476 of 9,484
  that's not a UPS as well  is it?????

no its a power conditioner afaik

I was looking for a lot of power conditioners recently but the reply i got from many people in the industry (apart from those that make power conditioners *duh) is that its always better t otry and get a dedicated power line for your audio. the consensus seems to be conditioners can do more harm than good?

May 14, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #7,477 of 9,484
  thanks for your reply

its good to hear the usb implementation is on par if not better than the audiophileo. i have an AP2 so i will test it eventually.
I also have an AQvox linear 5v psu but in my current system it only leads to more drops in connection. it could be the extra connector is simply to much.
 who knows maybe it will help with the yggy

I don't believe there's any way to use an outboard LPS w/ the Yggy w/o modding...

May 14, 2015 at 1:17 PM Post #7,478 of 9,484

Looks interesting is a good way to put it.  They look like something I would have built in shop back in junior high. 
tongue.gif

Agreed, haha… BUT.. why did you choose them ?  Did you compare SQ ?  The designer is supposed to be very smart & their gear rarely comes up used for sale on Agon… Peeps must be happy dappy !

May 14, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #7,479 of 9,484
  I have tested the normal usb input and quad usb input side by side. The quad usb makes a huge difference in sound quality. More than I expected. There is simply more sound with it. 

Dan,please excuse my ignorance regarding your findings,but do you attribute this too?
I'm expecting the Yiggy end of June,and I'm in the market for a good quality quad usb??

Mike

May 14, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #7,480 of 9,484
  Agreed, haha… BUT.. why did you choose them ?  Did you compare SQ ?  The designer is supposed to be very smart & their gear rarely comes up used for sale on Agon… Peeps must be happy dappy !

Peeps indeed may be happy, that or they have less than 100 total customers world wide lol.

May 14, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #7,481 of 9,484
  no its a power conditioner afaik

I was looking for a lot of power conditioners recently but the reply i got from many people in the industry (apart from those that make power conditioners *duh) is that its always better t otry and get a dedicated power line for your audio. the consensus seems to be conditioners can do more harm than good?

The dedicated power line is a good idea, but I think you still need protection from surges - that's my main reason for getting a 'power conditioner'. I think most believe that a power conditioner can restrict dynamics because it won't be able to supply enough current quickly to a power amp or integrated amp - which could be true in the case of an UPS.

May 14, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #7,482 of 9,484
May 14, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #7,483 of 9,484

The dedicated power line is a good idea, but I think you still need protection from surges - that's my main reason for getting a 'power conditioner'. I think most believe that a power conditioner can restrict dynamics because it won't be able to supply enough current quickly to a power amp or integrated amp - which could be true in the case of an UPS.

Dedicated line 
beerchug.gif

Other points.. not so much… waaaaaaay too many products out there to make such a blanket statement...

May 14, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #7,484 of 9,484
  Dedicated line 
beerchug.gif

Other points.. not so much… waaaaaaay too many products out there to make such a blanket statement...

Even my dealer plugs his amps straight into the wall. I figure it only takes one good lightning strike and he's got some mighty expensive paperweights, though maybe he's got insurance to cover that.

Me? I plug everything into the Bryston BIT. Better safe than sorry.

EDIT: One side benefit is that the system sounds better with everything plugged into the Bryston.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 14, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #7,485 of 9,484

Interestingly enough, it was an article I recently read regarding the psu's in the Blue Circle dacs that inspired my question about the MSB psu and chassis size.  The upgraded Blue Circle psu is battery driven with 1,000,000 uf in capacitance.  (http://www.bluecircle.com/page78.html )  Maybe that's a bit extreme, but as you noted, Gilbert Yeung is supposed to be a genius - so this is the sort of psu design I had expected MSB might bundle with its dacs given their price point.  

I haven't had occasion to hear any of Blue Circle's high end products, but I have been using their original usb->spdif converter in one rig or another for the last 5 years.  Despite the outdated chip, it still sounds surprisingly good - better, to my ears, than any of the modern budget xmos implementations. Damn thing is in a piece of pipe filled up with some sort of epoxy though so I have no idea what is really in the middle.  All in all, not a bad way of protecting your IP. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back