New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
May 13, 2015 at 9:55 AM Post #7,381 of 9,484
Most games use mp3 or ogg for audio, pretty compressed. The real challenge is that its not playing back the raw files.

When say somebody shoots at you you will hear it coming from wherever your enemy is. They do this by doing post processing on the sound so that it is positional. To do this in real time they must make certain sacrifices when designing the engine.

Games do many times sound very good but are a poor comparison to true HiFi tracks.

Different goals though - sort of how we talk about imaging with stereo but its less of a focus when you talk about surround.

There we go, we need hi-fi audio in videogames now.

May 13, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #7,383 of 9,484

The data sheet says 20-bit data words. The input shift register is 24 bits wide but 4 of those bits are used for addressing and indicating read/write operation.

I'd be interested to know more about how Yggdrasil preserves the original samples in the case of a 24-bit sample size.

Somewhere I read in literature from Schiit (can't remember if FAQ or on forum) that the filter operates at 20 bits.  They did state that if there was music in the last four bits, they'd eat their hat.  I'm assuming the data is just truncated to 20 bits for processing (possibly more elaborate rounding or other algorithm) in DSP.  But the last several bits is just noise anyways.

May 13, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #7,384 of 9,484
From the press release

"The SHARC DSP processor implements Schiit's proprietary 18,000+ tap digital filter algorithm at 352.8 or 384kHz sampling rate and 20-bit depth, which is then passed to the AD5791 DACs and a discrete JFET output buffer. Yggy outputs both balanced XLR and single-ended RCA (summed) analog simultaneously."

May 13, 2015 at 10:43 AM Post #7,385 of 9,484
From the press release

"The SHARC DSP processor implements Schiit's proprietary 18,000+ tap digital filter algorithm at 352.8 or 384kHz sampling rate and 20-bit depth, which is then passed to the AD5791 DACs and a discrete JFET output buffer. Yggy outputs both balanced XLR and single-ended RCA (summed) analog simultaneously."

Does iggy accept 352/384 input signal (e.g. over USB)? It's usually a good idea to do such upconversions outside the DAC (e.g. on a PC) so its internal chips have less to do.

Also, you mentioned a so called 'noise' in the bits above 20. Generally, there is never any 'noise' in the bits, just audiodata .. and over 20 there is usualy no audiodata.
On short: there is no noise, just simply nothing.

May 13, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #7,386 of 9,484
I wonder if the audio is CD quality though, or if they compress it a whole lot to make space for graphics.

Good question... I am unsure of that... 
However, im not so sure that the bitrate is as important as people make it to be.
I made this blind test (http://www.head-fi.org/t/646411/lossless-vs-128kbps-mp3-vs-320kbps-mp3-blind-test) and while I got every thing right, It was barely noticeable with HE-400 and fiio E-17. 
I mean, I HAD TO look for the differences to actually find them.
Im not so sure that compresion is as important as good quality recording over all.

Still, Id like to hear impressions on gaming on the Yggy :D.

May 13, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #7,387 of 9,484
Does iggy accept 352/384 input signal (e.g. over USB)? It's usually a good idea to do such upconversions outside the DAC (e.g. on a PC) so its internal chips have less to do.

Also, you mentioned a so called 'noise' in the bits above 20. Generally, there is never any 'noise' in the bits, just audiodata .. and over 20 there is usualy no audiodata.
On short: there is no noise, just simply nothing.

Currently the Yggy accepts up to 192/24.  However, note there is an extra oversampling led on the front panel that will not turn on yet but it is future ready for those rates of 352/384 (note discussion in manual).  I agree that offline processing is generally better but this DSP is probably ok to do that.  Perhaps not yet though. 
There is always noise.  Always.  Thermal noise from components in both A/D and D/A conversions and other noise sources in electronics.  In EE terms, we generally call this AWGN (Additive White Gaussian Noise).  It’s always there.  You can do some fancy noise shaping with oversampling to filter some of it out.  That has its limits as well.  The higher you sample, the more correlated the noise can get but that’s another topic for another day.  When you truncate bits, you’re getting rid of noise and signal.  You can’t separate the two.  In theory you are losing SOME information but you’re also losing noise.  At 24 bits, that’s theoretical SNR of over 140 dB.  You’ll never achieve that in electronics.  There will always be noise that will prevent you from achieving that level.  Just physics.  The assumption Schiit is making is that they understand they can produce a far better reconstruction of the original signal using a precise 20 bit DAC than guessing with the 24bits.  I believe they are correct.  In industrial applications (or medical, military as previously stated) precision is paramount in several applications because there is no feedback to the input to let you know if you’re output is off.  Ok, long story longer. 

May 13, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #7,388 of 9,484
Note: this a thought - a question to discuss - not a statement. I have a Yggy on order myself...

...Why is hearing a faint breath (that wasn't intended to be heard) more 'realistic'? Is it not simply more resolving?

Again, this is a discussion point, not a statement.

This is so easy as to confound members...
I will give you an analogy.
When you listen to the news on an AM radio,
Then you stand in front of that person,

Which will be more "realistic" to you?

So yes, we want to hear the breath and life in everything so as to make the experience more real.

To confound this thought is to over-think the obvious.
We all want our experience to be as if we were there.
We want nothing hidden or covered up or withheld from us,
Wich would be tantamount to having equipment that is LYING TO US...

I am convinced gulbuddin is just another Bolo's account, so I'm not sure it's worth further entertaining his posts.

Buuuut I could be wrong.

I am quite convinced that a post from a day old member coming into this thread to post negatives and not explain why, to just get banned is because that person is just a total liar ,
And what convinces me the most to not believe one single word,
Is because I have the yggy ,
And at this point, I am the one who doesn't need to explain why,
It should obvious to me that a yggy owner would consider this "godly" dac, "e-n-d g-a-m-e"..(!)

That's quite a tube amp. Your setup is quite nice. Since your manipulating the sound with tubes do you still find that you have roll tubes to tweak your preference?..

I would imagine tube amplification would reduce hyper details of the Yggy...

Do you still use filters while running a tube amp?

Very curious your approach with a Yggy......

Very easy answers for you:
1- I am not "manipulating sounds with tubes", that is to me an incorrect view.
2- Only poor tube amplification would reduce details and impose its own sonic character.
All good tube amps have transparency .
3-I don't know, and don't care to know anything about "filters".

Last point, sorry if this response comes across a bit harsh but I grow fatigue of the tube stereotype that unknowingly spreads around with posts similar to yours,
As I myself know the difference and am convinced tubes are the superior choice for large amplification, always.
A great tube amp will revieal to you more truth than solid state,
even if it does impose any sonic character.
Those are my own revelations,
Your experience will vary.

May 13, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #7,390 of 9,484
120 hrs on mine and games sound fine via usb. It's a bit like Baldr's comments on electronic music, it's hard to make a comparison when it's artificial to begin with. It sounds fine through Yggy, it sounded fine on my NAD.

May 13, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #7,392 of 9,484
Currently the Yggy accepts up to 192/24.  However, note there is an extra oversampling led on the front panel that will not turn on yet but it is future ready for those rates of 352/384 (note discussion in manual).  I agree that offline processing is generally better but this DSP is probably ok to do that.  Perhaps not yet though. 

There is always noise.  Always.  Thermal noise from components in both A/D and D/A conversions and other noise sources in electronics.  In EE terms, we generally call this AWGN (Additive White Gaussian Noise).  It’s always there.  You can do some fancy noise shaping with oversampling to filter some of it out.  That has its limits as well.  The higher you sample, the more correlated the noise can get but that’s another topic for another day.  When you truncate bits, you’re getting rid of noise and signal.  You can’t separate the two.  In theory you are losing SOME information but you’re also losing noise.  At 24 bits, that’s theoretical SNR of over 140 dB.  You’ll never achieve that in electronics.  There will always be noise that will prevent you from achieving that level.  Just physics.  The assumption Schiit is making is that they understand they can produce a far better reconstruction of the original signal using a precise 20 bit DAC than guessing with the 24bits.  I believe they are correct.  In industrial applications (or medical, military as previously stated) precision is paramount in several applications because there is no feedback to the input to let you know if you’re output is off.  Ok, long story longer. 

I should note I omitted discussion of quantization noise. That is added when you do A/D as well as any truncation of bits along the way. I wanted to also clarify that the thermal and other noises is added during quantization A/D process. It is there forever. It cannot be removed. My terminology isn't probably the best as my digital work is a bit rusty. Haven't done DSP work in a while. The bits on your flac file have noise within the information they represent. So a perfect dac would still have noise from the a/d process. A perfect a/d would be moot in the case of a real dac. It introduces noise of its own when converting to analog.

May 13, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #7,395 of 9,484
The only way my yggy will ever be turned off, is during a power outage.

Speaking off which, we just had a power outage in my part of the Houston yesterday afternoon that lasted for 2 hours.  Damn.  Like hitting the reset button.  I did take the opportunity to restring some cables, tho.

I may actually have to invest in a UPS, if I'm going to obsess over losing the unicorn glen periodically.  I will say that between increasing population densities and power consumption per capita, these power outages and brownouts may become an ever more frequent fixture of our times.  Especially with the US power grid becoming more and more antiquated.  That's what needs a makeover.  And in that sense, I'm all for Elon Musk's battery factory and/or the plugged-in electric car battery buffer power grid.     

Users who are viewing this thread

Back