New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
May 13, 2015 at 1:24 AM Post #7,366 of 9,484
Originally Posted by Exacoustatowner /img/forum/go_quote.gif

...which can affect the carpet's sound and make the music play backwards!

It doesn't play the music backwards, just inverts the polarity...  
wink.gif

May 13, 2015 at 1:35 AM Post #7,368 of 9,484
One better: I've put in a suggestion that we have in-thread stickies that appear at the top of every page of posts for putting that kind of info. 

May 13, 2015 at 1:37 AM Post #7,370 of 9,484

It doesn't play the music backwards, just inverts the polarity...  
wink.gif

And on a random basis… 
atsmile.gif

JJ

May 13, 2015 at 3:11 AM Post #7,373 of 9,484
One better: I've put in a suggestion that we have in-thread stickies that appear at the top of every page of posts for putting that kind of info. 

Ha, excellent! I made a similar suggestion recently after posting the same information on a thread for the third time.

May 13, 2015 at 8:05 AM Post #7,374 of 9,484
I have had my Yggdrasil on, warming up for over 176 hours and I am in awe. I have never heard Frank Zappa's " One Size Fits All" sound so real, so transparent, so natural. I had the good fortune to hear Zappa play twice, and listening to this CD makes me feel I am hearing him live. The sound stage is perfectly holographic, I can perceive the instruments and where they placed. The bass, midds and treble are so textured, and detailed, but the sound signature does not become analytical or grainy. The sound never looses its musical, lush like smoothness. The musicality of the sound is intoxicating. I feel like Odysseus being tempted by the harpies, to listen to the music, to the moment of magical synergy, till I become faint from exhaustion. I am extremely happy with my Yggy/ Rag combination. The only way my yggy will ever be turned off, is during a power outage.
P.s. I am getting goosebumps from the music.
smily_headphones1.gif

That will be my first album to spin with the new setup.  The remastered CD is stellar.  With my Gungnir, it's amazing.  With another step up in D/A, I'm excited to hear.

May 13, 2015 at 9:00 AM Post #7,375 of 9,484
Anyone has used the Yggy for gaming after the 160H burn in mark?

May 13, 2015 at 9:46 AM Post #7,379 of 9,484

I thought the '20-bit' figure was about effective, measurable resolution, not the data format. For all we know the chip may accept 24- or even 32-bit samples.

The data sheet says 20-bit data words. The input shift register is 24 bits wide but 4 of those bits are used for addressing and indicating read/write operation.

I'd be interested to know more about how Yggdrasil preserves the original samples in the case of a 24-bit sample size.

May 13, 2015 at 9:52 AM Post #7,380 of 9,484
I wonder if the audio is CD quality though, or if they compress it a whole lot to make space for graphics.

Most games use mp3 or ogg for audio, pretty compressed. The real challenge is that its not playing back the raw files.

When say somebody shoots at you you will hear it coming from wherever your enemy is. They do this by doing post processing on the sound so that it is positional. To do this in real time they must make certain sacrifices when designing the engine.

Games do many times sound very good but are a poor comparison to true HiFi tracks.

Different goals though - sort of how we talk about imaging with stereo but its less of a focus when you talk about surround.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back