New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
May 13, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #7,396 of 9,484
Better make sure it's an audiophile approved UPS :)

May 13, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #7,398 of 9,484

Speaking off which, we just had a power outage in my part of the Houston yesterday afternoon that lasted for 2 hours.  Damn.  Like hitting the reset button.

Now we know why there is a small power switch inconveniently located on the back panel. Hint: don't use it! By the time I'm able to afford an Ygg I hope there is a "no power switch" option but I won't hold my breath for that one. Either way, I will plan on adding a small sine wave UPS just to keep my future Ygg all warm and snuggly.

May 13, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #7,399 of 9,484
Speaking off which, we just had a power outage in my part of the Houston yesterday afternoon that lasted for 2 hours.  Damn.  Like hitting the reset button.  I did take the opportunity to restring some cables, tho.

I may actually have to invest in a UPS, if I'm going to obsess over losing the unicorn glen periodically.  I will say that between increasing population densities and power consumption per capita, these power outages and brownouts may become an ever more frequent fixture of our times.  Especially with the US power grid becoming more and more antiquated.  That's what needs a makeover.  And in that sense, I'm all for Elon Musk's battery factory and/or the plugged-in electric car battery buffer power grid.     

+1 You make some very good points. I should invest in a ups, I feel the electrical grid will get worse before it gets better.

May 13, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #7,401 of 9,484
How much do ups units go for? I would gather they are $800+ depending on how large a unit gets. Time to start saving.

May 13, 2015 at 3:31 PM Post #7,403 of 9,484
Depending on your area's power grid I would be more concerned about power conditioning and surge protection. The level of concern regarding power down periods astounds me. I know many tube amplifier folks may prefer some appropriate time for their tubes to warm up to operating temps ..... 1/2 hr or less?

If anyone lives in the vicinity of an automotive transient dynamometer  it can re inject massive KV power back into the power grid. I would hate to have sensitive audio equipment with critical ears listening.  I'm so surprised how there is very little emphasis on high quality power conditioning.

It's hard to believe the Yggy can be an extremely poor performer when cold. To my knowledge operating temps in almost any product in the world should provide good service. I cannot see how a Yggy would sound dreadful even at 30-60 minutes of "run time". If this is the case with the severe concern wouldn't a company implement a PID controlled air conditioning unit within the product for optimum performance. As you can see this even sounds kinda silly.  On the same note wouldn't there be a thermal issue for the individuals that live in extremely hot climates? Is there a thermal protection in the Yggy to assure no transistor thermal breakdown?  

There's also little discussion on dedicated 20amp power lines for audio equipment. Audiofile folks go to great lengths to maximize the least amount of noise to their equipment rather than retaining power up times with a UPS. However I guess one great benefit is surge protection in a worthy UPS.

I gather a fully "broken in" yggy should have optimal sound in a short duration of time.

May 13, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #7,404 of 9,484

I think that you need the S type to best propagate the AC sine wave from battery backup.

Whatever UPS you end up getting, make sure it outputs a true sine wave. Usually online double conversion (vs. line interactive) is the gold standard.

May 13, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #7,409 of 9,484
Ok I gotta brag on Schiit some now. I had a minor heart attack a bit ago when I got an email saying my order had been cancelled. Suspected fraud. I just moved cross country recently and this is a large purchase. Also got new card issued. Blah blah. So I contacted them and within minutes I got a response back. I reordered and didn't lose my place in the queue. A few minutes later another email saying fedex didn't like my addy. It's also a new development in town and got rezoned recently. Again, fun times. So I sorted that away and got another email. Oh boy what now. It was a shipping notice. All the while Laura Z was very helpful and responsive. Comforting also that they're looking out for potential fraudulent purchases. This is all very rare in customer service. Big round of applause for Schiit in that respect. Previous order btw was 31061 and it's on its way. Just in time for my bday. Cheers.

May 13, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #7,410 of 9,484

Don't believe it.  The yggy sounds good right out of the box.  It's just that increasing interval sounds successively better until final equilibrium.

Yes, I thought mine was very impressive out of the box.  Huge step up from Gungnir...warm up seems minor compared to that.  But maybe I can't hear stuff.

Also, paying more attention to temperature due to the warm up craze topic, I did put the Rag up higher above the Yggy, which made me realize how very hot my Rag is on the bottom.  Putting your hand on top of the Rag is misleading about how hot it gets.  Put you hand on the center bottom...not something I can do for more than a second or two.  Is obviously metal and a hence a good heat conductor, so it feels really hot for that reason.  I've not measured the temp yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back