New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
May 10, 2015 at 5:26 AM Post #7,112 of 9,484
how can you make a valid comparison between them if they accept different formats

May 10, 2015 at 9:16 AM Post #7,114 of 9,484
My Yggy didn't sound good out of the box; in fact, there is no sound. The Yggy is indicating that it's receiving the AES/EBU signal from my Logitech Transporter but I'm not getting any sound output either via SE or Balanced. Something is rattling around inside the case that sounds like a screw so maybe Fedex did some damage to the device. I'm currently waiting to hear back from Schiit to see if they have any remote suggestions. Hopefully, I'm not going to have to send this all the way back. Fingers crossed!

UPDATE: My Yggy has to be returned for inspection and repair. A bit of a bummer as I was so excited to try it out but these things happen and customer satisfaction is one of the reasons I feel confident buying from Schiit.

Fedex in United States is worst carrier ever.
I blame them for my first unit replaced, and luckily my second replacement is working,
although the box is all dirty up like they dragged and throwed it around.
UPS is the best from my experience.

So now instead of being over a week in, I am only at 12hrs burn.

Yet at the ten hour mark I was not believing my ears as I could practically hear the fingers pressing on piano keys on one track!

Then as I scrolled thru my playlist,
I tried this track I only use for massive sibilance testing:
https://youtu.be/QptiPrhr6bohttps://youtu.be/QptiPrhr6bo

At very beginning of song,
When girls say "ice", that word always had ear shredding sibilance.

I was shocked to hear true "sss" sound and actually hear the breath of air as they exhaled that word!
It was shocking to hear such never heard before perfection at only 10hr mark,

Add to that an amp I am still modding that I have yet to burn in fully as well, and I am left wondering.

May 10, 2015 at 9:27 AM Post #7,115 of 9,484
Yes the fed ex driver roughly treated my replacement Yggdrasil, but luckily no damage was done. I heard the driver thunk the box on the ground and mutter about the weight. Next time I will use a different delivery service.
P.s my yggy has been on since Tuesday and keeps sounding better.:)

May 10, 2015 at 9:56 AM Post #7,116 of 9,484
Two more questions for the Yggy owners,

1. Can anyone who uses Jriver with the Yggy confirm that 'internal volume' on Jriver works with the Yggy? I'm planning on plugging it straight into a power amp and will need some volume control... Ideally through the iphone app.

2. Once the initial burn in of the first week - if you disconnect it from 3 weeks - let's say you go on holiday - once you are back do you need another week?

Thank you!

May 10, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #7,117 of 9,484
  Two more questions for the Yggy owners,

1. Can anyone who uses Jriver with the Yggy confirm that 'internal volume' on Jriver works with the Yggy? I'm planning on plugging it straight into a power amp and will need some volume control... Ideally through the iphone app.

2. Once the initial burn in of the first week - if you disconnect it from 3 weeks - let's say you go on holiday - once you are back do you need another week?

Thank you!

For question 1: In JRiver if you use Direct Sound then the volume control will work; however, if you use WASAPI then you will have to use another form of volume control. I have not done any critical listening comparing Direct Sound to WASAPI with the Yggdrasil although typically WASAPI is considered superior. 

May 10, 2015 at 11:43 AM Post #7,118 of 9,484

The Yggy doesn't have internal volume control. If you're adjusting volume it's happening in the playback app or OS.

Did anyone hear both PS audio Directstream DSD dac and Yggy? Its pretty much best dsd dac vs best pcm dac,I want to know witch one is better sound

This would be an excellent comparison. DSD and PCM playback on both: PCM internally converted to DSD on the PS Audio, and DSD converted to PCM for the Yggy with iZotope or similar.

(Bonus for using Ayre's comparison files: PCM and DSD, both captured from the same master with an identical ADC chip.)

Omg bro,I am not asking for any feature! I just curious what are the technical limitations that its only 192khz,I want someone to explain to me how it works inside dac with regard to sample rate

MM refers to his "bit perfect" oversampling filter as burrito filter. Perhaps this burrito would transform into a ginormous Guinness record sandwich and no longer fit inside the dsp board if asked to handle higher bit rate than 192kHz?
Or maybe the dac chip does not accept feed in excess of that rate?
And perhaps Schiit decided 192kHz was plenty to satisfy bats ears out there?

Schiit have stated the Yggdrasil upsamples all signals to 352/384 before output, so it can do these sample rates. The limitation must lie with the USB input, at least, as noted upthread. That board is upgradable, but still – it's a bit lame when the unit has an 8x light on the panel. I was disappointed to discover this.

And before anyone freaks out with "OMG no audioz at 384 UR crazy11!!"... just calm down. What is wrong with simply asking such a question? This hostile knee-jerk rationalization/defense of Schiit's decisions and/or party line needs to stop. I like the company and own their products. But these kinds of responses are rude and anti-intellectual. Can we be thinking people and excellent to one another, please?

Regarding 8x input, this is a want not a need. I would like to know how it sounds off the Yggy. And yes, I possess fewer than 10 files recorded at such sample rates. Does that make me any less curious as to how they might sound? Not too long ago 192 was the most exotic audio flavor, and many were equally curious how that would sound. Yet there were like five DVD-As in existence with 192 recordings. The same went for 96 before that. It's a cycle.

But at this point, I've learned over and over it's the master that matters, sample rate be-damned. When a 16/44 MFSL release sounds better than the dynamic range-killing hi-rez re-release... it reminds you that feeds & speeds aren't everything. This is especially apparent with the Yggy, which can make 'plain ol' Redbook' absolutely sing.

May 10, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #7,119 of 9,484
  But at this point, I've learned over and over it's the master that matters, sample rate be-damned. When a 16/44 MFSL release sounds better than the dynamic range-killing hi-rez re-release... it reminds you that feeds & speeds aren't everything. This is especially apparent with the Yggy, which can make 'plain ol' Redbook' absolutely sing.

Indeed.  And I'll go so far as to say that "feeds and speeds" (kudos for the machinist reference) mean nothing, especially when many of the so-called "high res" files out there are created by upsampling (adding zeroes to) the 16/44.1 master and do not contain any additional information at all.  I have some 5-bit Sony MiniDisc recordings from the 90's that sound better than some so-called super high res files available today.  It's all about the recording process employed, not the file size or sample rate.

This whole "but it needs to do DSD/7000Khz/Upbermathematica files or else it's crap" argument reminds me of little boys comparing penis size.  If that's your thing then knock yourself out, but please realize how silly it sounds to adults.

May 10, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #7,120 of 9,484
Dglow,can that oversampling be turned off? I cant belive this,I wanted dac that 1. is NOS 2. is DxD capable.... and basicly Yggy witch after reading about its uber chip and ppls impressions sounded like best dac ever made cant do 352khz becose of usb but it upsamples it to that anyway internaly? That just makes me angry,I dont care about money,would happily pay more than super cheap 2200 if they made it dxd capable

May 10, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #7,121 of 9,484
Dglow,can that oversampling be turned off? I cant belive this,I wanted dac that 1. is NOS 2. is DxD capable.... and basicly Yggy witch after reading about its uber chip and ppls impressions sounded like best dac ever made cant do 352khz becose of usb but it upsamples it to that anyway internaly? That just makes me angry,I dont care about money,would happily pay more than super cheap 2200 if they made it dxd capable

I'm under the impression that the samples fit into the 352/384 signal, so it's not traditional oversampling. I believe Mike mentioned it earlier in the thread.

May 10, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #7,123 of 9,484
Someone should make a repository with all the "official" posts from Mike and co. on details of the Yggy, for reference. That might help with answering questions like this.

+1 great idea.

May 10, 2015 at 1:46 PM Post #7,124 of 9,484

It cannot be turned off. The Yggdrasil is not a NOS DAC. It cannot accept DxD input. It cannot accept DSD input. 

Yes, a Yggy FAQ might be in order. Oh, wait, there's this: http://schiit.com/products/yggdrasil – click on Specs and FAQ

@goobicii, you'll learn more than I can repeat by doing a search for 'Baldr' and reading his posts. Regarding NOS designs, AIUI the Yggy attempts to upsample and filter in a manner that avoids the detriments traditionally associated with upsampling – that's what the 'burrito filter' is all about. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back