New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
May 10, 2015 at 2:09 PM Post #7,126 of 9,484
It cannot be turned off. The Yggdrasil is not a NOS DAC. It cannot accept DxD input. It cannot accept DSD input. 

Yes, a Yggy FAQ might be in order. Oh, wait, there's this: http://schiit.com/products/yggdrasil – click on Specs and FAQ

@goobicii
, you'll learn more than I can repeat by doing a search for 'Baldr' and reading his posts. Regarding NOS designs, AIUI the Yggy attempts to upsample and filter in a manner that avoids the detriments traditionally associated with upsampling – that's what the 'burrito filter' is all about. 

thank you for explanation

my opinion is,I was thinking I will buy it but now I think probably not,sure that burrito filter might be best oversampler ever made,why not make it 384 capable then? I think its great
that Yggy is such a good deal at 2200 dollars killing 30.000 dacs but this just kills it for me.I would pay 4000 easy just to turn off the oversampling burrito and run true 384 from the input

May 10, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #7,128 of 9,484
thank you for explanation

my opinion is,I was thinking I will buy it but now I think probably not,sure that burrito filter might be best oversampler ever made,why not make it 384 capable then? I think its great
that Yggy is such a good deal at 2200 dollars killing 30.000 dacs but this just kills it for me.I would pay 4000 easy just to turn off the oversampling burrito and run true 384 from the input

Here I will help a bit:
From Baldr's post here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/693798/thoughts-on-a-bunch-of-dacs-and-why-delta-sigma-kinda-sucks-just-to-get-you-to-think-about-stuff/1800#post_11022012

"An SOF (Schiit only feature) – The Schiit Footlong Mega Burrito Supersauce Digital Filter:

It is a digital filter/sample rate converter designed to convert all audio to 352.8 or 396KHz sample rates so that it may drive our DACs. You get it from us; it is our filter. It keeps all original samples; those samples contain rudimentary frequency and phase information which can be optimized not only in the time domain but in the frequency domain. We do precisely this in the Yggy with said filter; this is the reason that on good recordings through Yggy you can hear the hall, its dimensions, and the exact position of anyone coughing or farting in the room, the motions of guitars being hoisted in preparation of being played, sheet music pages being turned, etc. etc. This comes from our mega burrito filter. A friend of mine, Jonathan Horwich, sells analog master tapes in ½ track form – at least 15 IPS, and 30 (I believe) as well. On those analog masters, you can also hear the entire environment before the music starts – what is amazing there is that even if on accounts for hearing “down into” the analog noise, the S/N indicates a 14 bit performance at best for those tapes. 14 bit or not – those tapes, totally scratch my itch. If you want that, we got that and more in the Yggy."

And here is some more later in that thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/693798/thoughts-on-a-bunch-of-dacs-and-why-delta-sigma-kinda-sucks-just-to-get-you-to-think-about-stuff/1800#post_11023066

May 10, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #7,129 of 9,484

For question 1: In JRiver if you use Direct Sound then the volume control will work; however, if you use WASAPI then you will have to use another form of volume control. I have not done any critical listening comparing Direct Sound to WASAPI with the Yggdrasil although typically WASAPI is considered superior. 

Thanks Mate,
I just did a small experiment with my Hugo via USB - with both AISO and WASAPI drivers Jriver's internal volume works fine.
Is it that the Yggy has a different USB implementation?

Thanks

May 10, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #7,130 of 9,484
Fedex in United States is worst carrier ever.
I blame them for my first unit replaced, and luckily my second replacement is working,
although the box is all dirty up like they dragged and throwed it around.
UPS is the best from my experience.

So now instead of being over a week in, I am only at 12hrs burn.

Yet at the ten hour mark I was not believing my ears as I could practically hear the fingers pressing on piano keys on one track!

Then as I scrolled thru my playlist,
I tried this track I only use for massive sibilance testing:
https://youtu.be/QptiPrhr6bohttps://youtu.be/QptiPrhr6bo

At very beginning of song,
When girls say "ice", that word always had ear shredding sibilance.

I was shocked to hear true "sss" sound and actually hear the breath of air as they exhaled that word!
It was shocking to hear such never heard before perfection at only 10hr mark,

Add to that an amp I am still modding that I have yet to burn in fully as well, and I am left wondering.

That's quite a tube amp. Your setup is quite nice. Since your manipulating the sound with tubes do you still find that you have roll tubes to tweak your preference? The amplification via tubes can change the presentation of music as much as dac replacement. I'm modding my Tube dac to replace my tiny 6x5gt rectifier with a "super rectifier"  unit using 300B and 572B tubes!! 

I would imagine tube amplification would reduce hyper details of the Yggy. I've found with most tube components it always seems to change the presentation of instruments and vocals typically more holographic instead of laser pinpoint location and hyper details of solid state. This is perhaps one reason why I use both solid state and tube dac for different purposes. Analog organic sound of vinyl from a digital file seems to be achievable with the long tail note decay from the tube. Regardless of what dac you are using the  dac will always either make the vocals more forward or give the impression that your sitting few rows back. This is where "trusting your ears" simply means satisfaction to your ears....subjectively speaking. Is there a substantial longer tail in note decay with the yggy vs your current "older" dac using a tube dac? This to me is more of an indication of an improvement of  "vinyl/analog" reproduction from a digital file. This would be great information for me :)

Do you still use filters while running a tube amp?

Just trying to figure out how people are using the Yggy with tube amplification.  Most folks here so far seem to be running solid state amps. I'm in the process of deciding on going with a hybrid tube amplifier (100watt or 300watt) ( will mod the amp in replacing a baby 5u4g with another super rectifier mod). In the distant future I'm also exploring solid state dac's with a tube amp.

There is so much modding available in the audio world. However source is king....I do prefer running a dac without any filter manipulation. Even though my hand crafted Torrent 7" drivers on my totem Earth's can resolve insane hyper detail I'll push them to sound as "analog" as I can (perhaps should have bought into Harbeth...). Swapping an amp from a new Russian Kt88 can totally change it's sound signature compared to some vintage NOS Kt88 tubes or even stepping up to a KT120. Even a tube setup you can change it to sublime smooth analog to an edgy rough amp with a tube roll. 

Very curious your approach with a Yggy......

May 10, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #7,131 of 9,484
Just an observation.... Running tests and going between a single ended tube amp and XLR connected solid state amp.  I just swap the speaker cables to make it easy to test the amps.  But today with power off on the solid state amp notice the level coming in on the single ended interface is much lower than yesterday.  I ran out of range on stepped attenuator.  Hmmm.... Removed the XLR connectors feeding the unpowered solid state amp and the single ended levels returned to normal.   So there is some interaction between the Yggy outputs or they are not completely buffered to totally isolate.

What a difference between day 3 and day 4 of the power-on clock.  The tube amp sounds much better than yesterday.    
bigsmile_face.gif

May 10, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #7,132 of 9,484
I am still waiting on my replacement yggdrasil but was curious did everyone who returned the yggy(for replacement) have the same problem of no output?

Yes I returned my yggy because it would not output a audio signal.

May 10, 2015 at 3:30 PM Post #7,133 of 9,484

For question 1: In JRiver if you use Direct Sound then the volume control will work; however, if you use WASAPI then you will have to use another form of volume control. I have not done any critical listening comparing Direct Sound to WASAPI with the Yggdrasil although typically WASAPI is considered superior. 

Yep I found this to be true for me also on my win7 laptop.  Foobar internal volume however, works in either WASAPI or DS.. FWIW

Thanks Mate,
I just did a small experiment with my Hugo via USB - with both AISO and WASAPI drivers Jriver's internal volume works fine.
Is it that the Yggy has a different USB implementation?

Thanks

The first time I tried switching back and forth I thought it worked in DS or WASAPI mode, too. 
After I re-started JRiver the internal volume did not work in WASAPI.
Can you check again after restarting Jriver and see what happens?

May 10, 2015 at 3:40 PM Post #7,134 of 9,484
  Yep I found this to be true for me also on my win7 laptop.  Foobar internal volume however, works in either WASAPI or DS.. FWIW

The first time I tried switching back and forth I thought it worked in DS or WASAPI mode, too. 

Just tried it again after restarting and the Internal Volume is now working with WASAPI so you should be good to go (also running windows 7 with JRiver MC20).

May 10, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #7,135 of 9,484

Just tried it again after restarting and the Internal Volume is now working with WASAPI so you should be good to go (also running windows 7 with JRiver MC20).

When you say "internal volume", what are you referring to – internal to what? Some DACs offer a native volume control within the DAC itself. AFAICT, the Yggy does not.

May 10, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #7,137 of 9,484
All the posts about being right there in the music is starting to get to me. I don't want to wait, I want that sound! I'm listening to music now and wondering how much I'm actually missing. Probably not a whole lot, but everything owners are saying is getting me excited and anxious. I sure hope time flies.

Also, everything about the upsampling and burn-in technicalities always leads me back to the The Schiit Footlong Mega Burrito Supersauce Digital Filter. If you have something named that in your product, how can it be bad? I mean, just read that aloud to yourself and imagine that's the essence of what the sound is like. Can't wait for that delicious music in my earholes. 

May 10, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #7,138 of 9,484

Users who are viewing this thread

Back