New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
May 10, 2015 at 7:00 PM Post #7,142 of 9,484
Brought the Yggy to a buddy's house for about 4 hrs yesterday…

He has a different, great system… NAS > Silver Circle PP1 5.0 power conditioner > Aries > Shindo pre (I had before) > Shindo WE 300B monos (I had similar before) > DeVore O/96 

It was awesome, fun, yet inconclusive to say "one kills the other"…. both are great-  

I can say, that the Yggy may be more 'detail' 'driven'….. they have different presentations… 

To say that Yggy can play in the same league (which I haven't yet), would be a major achievement imo… it may happen..

Since my buddy could tell I wasn't getting enough info….  he very, very generously lent me his Analog + PB last night, to use most of the week !! (luckily he has a super nice turntable too)

Had them both settling powered up since & cheating a little w/ the Yggy running music continuously & using a higher lever of IC on it vs the Analog (High Fidelity CT-U vs CT-E)....

Listening today… gonna try to get a few peeps over to 'vote'…. any volunteers, haha ?

David

May 10, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #7,143 of 9,484
PS… this Analog DAC has the new Quad Rate USB module installed...

May 10, 2015 at 7:46 PM Post #7,146 of 9,484
  Brought the Yggy to a buddy's house for about 4 hrs yesterday…

He has a different, great system… NAS > Silver Circle PP1 5.0 power conditioner > Aries > Shindo pre (I had before) > Shindo WE 300B monos (I had similar before) > DeVore O/96 

It was awesome, fun, yet inconclusive to say "one kills the other"…. both are great-  

I can say, that the Yggy may be more 'detail' 'driven'….. they have different presentations… 

To say that Yggy can play in the same league (which I haven't yet), would be a major achievement imo… it may happen..

Since my buddy could tell I wasn't getting enough info….  he very, very generously lent me his Analog + PB last night, to use most of the week !! (luckily he has a super nice turntable too)

Had them both settling powered up since & cheating a little w/ the Yggy running music continuously & using a higher lever of IC on it vs the Analog (High Fidelity CT-U vs CT-E)....

Listening today… gonna try to get a few peeps over to 'vote'…. any volunteers, haha ?

David

Similar to my views. At this level the differences between DACs are rather subtle compared to differences between transducers and amps. However, I am quite sure, if you may excuse my fuzzy audio memory (my MSB broke down about a month ago), that the Yggy is obviously more resolving than the MSB, and is a tad "brighter" or leaner. The MSB has a sweeter tone but the Yggy (esp. after improvements in my power supply) also has a very "pure" tone. Both have excellent soundstage and dynamics. If I had to guess, from my memory, the Yggy has a wider and more accurate soundstage and probably a more defined bass, but don't count on these impressions without a proper AB.

Note that I did not have the MSB power base or Quad USB (I used the AES with AP1 + AES adapter which is better than the original USB input). 

Now let's hope I'll get the MSB back in due course to do some meaningful AB comparisons. Otherwise, I'll have to hear from you first, David!

Edit:

Wait - how did you manage to bring the Yggy over to your friend's house without stopping the power supply? I hope you didn't have to restart the whole warm-up process..

May 10, 2015 at 8:12 PM Post #7,147 of 9,484
  Is there wine involved and do you live in Columbus Ohio?

Yes, unless I'm sleeping, haha...

I'm in Marin, just across the GG bridge..

May 10, 2015 at 8:15 PM Post #7,148 of 9,484

Let us know how it turns out   Are you seeing any improvement after the bewitching 165 hours? 

Yes, pretty consistant improvements all along, including higher highs, solidified bass, wider, deeper soundstage… all of which leads me to believe things will continue to progress… 

IMHO, in addition to break-in, gear likes to stay where it's at… my cables really like to settle for 3 days..

May 10, 2015 at 8:30 PM Post #7,149 of 9,484
  Yes, pretty consistant improvements all along, including higher highs, solidified bass, wider, deeper soundstage… all of which leads me to believe things will continue to progress… 

IMHO, in addition to break-in, gear likes to stay where it's at… my cables really like to settle for 3 days..

Wow!  How can it get any better??  We're all in for a treat then.  The Yggy opened up today (94 hrs) and is delivery the goods aplenty.  Vocals are amazing.  Clean and clear.  My speakers aren't known for bass but they are well controlled and digging deeper today.  Very pronounced improvement in sound quality with my modest equipment.   The difference between yesterday and today is mind boggling!  Thanks....

May 10, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #7,150 of 9,484

Similar to my views. At this level the differences between DACs are rather subtle compared to differences between transducers and amps. However, I am quite sure, if you may excuse my fuzzy audio memory (my MSB broke down about a month ago), that the Yggy is obviously more resolving than the MSB, and is a tad "brighter" or leaner. The MSB has a sweeter tone but the Yggy (esp. after improvements in my power supply) also has a very "pure" tone. Both have excellent soundstage and dynamics. If I had to guess, from my memory, the Yggy has a wider and more accurate soundstage and probably a more defined bass, but don't count on these impressions without a proper AB.

Note that I did not have the MSB power base or Quad USB (I used the AES with AP1 + AES adapter which is better than the original USB input). 

Now let's hope I'll get the MSB back in due course to do some meaningful AB comparisons. Otherwise, I'll have to hear from you first, David!

Edit:

Wait - how did you manage to bring the Yggy over to your friend's house without stopping the power supply? I hope you didn't have to restart the whole warm-up process..

Well I'm not 100% agreed.. The "level" here is (for me) cheap to low upper level)…  I've heard some DACs that are definitely not really great… 
I was going by "audio memory" when I gave my opinions before… (w/ not much response, haha)..  

I'm also NOT sure the Yggy is "obviously more resolving" at all… I think the Yggy just is 'detail forward' (a term I just made up, haha !)… 

A sweeter tone on the Analog, maybe yes.. that's the direction I'm thinking… however w/o a lack of detail..

I think both have similar soundstage presence… 

Ha, Jay… I specially built a PS for the trip & had it running while driving… (just kidding)   1/2 hr trip… unplugged seconds before driving, then let her warm up an hr first, before listening critically-

I think once it's broken in (which at 200+ may not be)… a DAC should only need .2-2hrs warm up… BUT… I always leave them on 24/7..

David

May 10, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #7,151 of 9,484

Wow!  How can it get any better??  We're all in for a treat then.  The Yggy opened up today (94 hrs) and is delivery the goods aplenty.  Vocals are amazing.  Clean and clear.  My speakers aren't known for bass but they are well controlled and digging deeper today.  Very pronounced improvement in sound quality with my modest equipment.   The difference between yesterday and today is mind boggling!  Thanks....

You should pop over & hear for yourself !

May 10, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #7,153 of 9,484
  You sound a bit confused...??????,or it,s lack of sleep..???

Nah Mike.. not confused, just cordial…  I say ENJOY the hobby...

David

May 10, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #7,154 of 9,484
As I said before… SACD/HiRez via PCM is really great… listening to Cowboy Junkies 'Whites off Earth Now' SACD rip… fantastic...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back