New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
May 7, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #6,977 of 9,484
oh wow .. I was actually trying to find a link to that genius xkcd
smily_headphones1.gif

https://xkcd.com/386/

May 7, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #6,978 of 9,484
  Let me explain: I would buy Yggy, but I could not leave it powered on because my rig is on a wheeled table that I move from a room to another and also for safety reasons. 

IIRC the official word from schiit is that you can power down the Yggy for a few minutes at a time and not lose all the benefits of the previous warm up time.  So you can move your rig from room to room without a UPS and you will not reset the Yggy to 0 hours of warm up time.  As long as the power is restored within a few minutes the sound should pick up right where it was before it was turned off.

If you really can't leave the power on to the Yggy then you may have to acccept that you will not be utilizing it to it's full potential.  Perhaps it is not the DAC for your situation.

Or... If you want to share the safety reasons that you can not leave the Yggy on, then perhaps some members may be able to help you find a workaround.

May 7, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #6,979 of 9,484
that's a not so @subtle form of "put up or shut up" .. would be considered quite offensive where I come from.

may I ask if the iggy comes with an inbuilt aversion to asking questions ?
biggrin.gif

Either you misinterpreted what I said or you, and the people living where you come from, have the thinnest skin the world. 
tongue.gif

I'm not sure how my reply could even remotely be considered offensive.  The questions Pier Paolo has posed in the last few pages of this thread indicate that he would like Moffat to consider redesigning whatever it is in the Yggy that causes Schitt to suggest leaving it in on 24/7.  For him to even think he would do such a thing to make a handful of people happy in Italy is simply humorous.  It's part of the design so either pony up the money for the electricity and deal with whatever changes occur in the audio output upon powering it down and moving it from room to room or simply find another DAC.  Seems like pretty simple logic to me.

May 7, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #6,981 of 9,484
  Or... If you want to share the safety reasons that you can not leave the Yggy on, then perhaps some members may be able to help you find a workaround.

A friend of a friend has this OCD thing where she has to turn off every light, unplug every device in the house, and walks back in frequently after leaving, thinking something has been left plugged in.  I would not recommend a Yggy to her.

May 7, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #6,982 of 9,484
that's a not so @subtle form of "put up or shut up" .. would be considered quite offensive where I come from.

may I ask if the iggy comes with an inbuilt aversion to asking questions ?
biggrin.gif

seems to me his post pretty much summed up the two options available. Schiit will not create a special 5 minute warm up version of Yggy just for users who cant keep it powered on 24/7. That leaves the two options Subtle mentioned, or using a UPS (pretty good idea). 

Whatever answer to the burnin/warmup questions is given, at the end of the day, nothing will change and you are still only left with those 2(3) options anyway. For your (and mine) curiosity, these answers are pretty interesting to know, but it won't affect the end choices. This is probably why others might be getting annoyed at these questions.

May 7, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #6,983 of 9,484
  A bit off topic but why are the thumbs up responses anonymous now? I think that defeats the whole point, no?

FANTASTIC question !!   Also… why is there a limit as to how many 'thumbs ups' one can do per day ??  I think it's only 10 or so…. silly, silly !

May 7, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #6,984 of 9,484
Do you have a link for that !?
I was convinced that was actually the "official" word from @purrin ... but I'm known to be wrong about everything
biggrin.gif

I don't have a link.  It suppose it could have been purrin who said it.

The comment in question made logical sense to me.  Since this issue is with thermal warm up, it seems unlikely that the heat would completely dissipate from the components within a couple minutes. 

May 7, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #6,985 of 9,484
  I don't think so Joeezp. Yggy is on the same league as Hugo so MSB still better than both but by small margin .

Based on what ?  Have you done direct comparisons or had lengthy personal experience w/ MSB DACs ?

May 7, 2015 at 12:14 PM Post #6,986 of 9,484
  FANTASTIC question !!   Also… why is there a limit as to how many 'thumbs ups' one can do per day ??  I think it's only 10 or so…. silly, silly !

To be fair, it's probably because there are those who would 'thumbs up' every post (and not just the really valuable ones that contribute well thought-out, valuable insight) and that might dilute the value of that particular voting feature.  Honestly, I don't think anyone can say with a straight face that there are 10 of those posts on any given day.

Now, what would be a nice functional addition to the site: the ability within Advanced Search to locate posts within a given thread with x number of reputation votes or higher.

May 7, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #6,987 of 9,484

To be fair, it's probably because there are those who would 'thumbs up' every post (and not just the really valuable ones that contribute well thought-out, valuable insight) and that might dilute the value of that particular voting feature.  Honestly, I don't think anyone can say with a straight face that there are 10 of those posts on any given day.

Now, what would be a nice functional addition to the site: the ability within Advanced Search to locate posts within a given thread with x number of reputation votes or higher.

I see your point, however what about when one reads several threads, especially this one, that over a day may be 100s of posts ?   I can see a limit of 25..

May 7, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #6,988 of 9,484
Burn in and warm up are two different things.  No one here has any direct knowledge of warm up because you are all still burning it in and afraid if you turned it off then you would have to start over.  In the original proto review the poster said it took 6 hours to warm up and he was told the later production units would take less long.  So, how long does it take once it is fully burned in (160 or more hours).......to warm up?  Someone out there in Iggyland will eventually turn it off for awhile and see.  Maybe you can turn it off for a few seconds (as in changing a power cord) and nothing changes (except the power cord sound).  How many hours does it take to get back to its fully burned in sound?  If you have not experimented than you have NO IDEA.  My modded Oppo takes about one hour or so....same with my Class A amp.  How long does the Iggy take?  Until we have some experimentation here we are just guessing. 

May 7, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #6,989 of 9,484
DSD/HiRez via PCM sure sounds INSANE !!

May 7, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #6,990 of 9,484
1. What are the stats on the Yggy fuse assuming someone wanted to order an audiophile replacement?

2. Is there any hardware and/or software that can analyze a track (e.g., .wav, .flac, etc.) and tell you if it is 0 or 180 absolute phase?

3. Is there any way to extract PCM data from a PC better (e.g,, least amount of conversions, cleaner, etc.) than via a USB stream? Not that I disagree with Mike's research/opinions, but if the source is a PC, then I am not sure there is a better option than USB stream.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back