New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
May 4, 2015 at 12:56 PM Post #6,691 of 9,484

'Chicken sticks' to discharge capacitors.  I like it.  Not to be confused with chicken fingers or McNuggets.

No doubt developed in an attempt to save smoking hair and fried ear lobes resulting from the illicit practice of daring each other to be first to touch the big ol' cap.

In our case, to save one from death. 200uF 2500Vdc caps pack a very big wallop.

May 4, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #6,692 of 9,484
  In our case, to save one from death. 200uF 2500Vdc caps pack a very big wallop.

I believe that's called, "dead as fried chicken."

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
May 4, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #6,693 of 9,484
Back when I worked at Zenith Radio we had such things for discharging picture tubes,
25 - 35 kv. We had a name for those things, which probably would be considered
politically incorrect these days.

May 4, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #6,695 of 9,484
The differences (esp the changes during warmup/burn-in) are less noticeable with the SR009 than with the modded HD800, which tells you just how revealing the HD800 is.

The differences with my 009's is very noticeable. The soundstage is widening out the longer I listen. Bass is also getting more pronounced. It's still smooth as butter.
I also have been switching from single ended to balanced on my LL2 and there is a marked improvement in definition and separation with the balanced path.

Oh, forgot to add, about 5 days of 'on' time and about 30ish hours of music time.

May 4, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #6,696 of 9,484
Just saying, yea I guess the resistors electronics inside the Ygg may benefit from an optimal working temperature (quite high, tbh), but I wouldn't call this process a Thermal Equilibrium... 
confused.gif

edit: someone would explain this, discard my suspections~ 
wink.gif

May 4, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #6,697 of 9,484
  A undermining fact of what I experienced is that now when I switch the phase inverter on and off I hear no difference, only during the first switching on and off. The dac sounds clear and full now though whether on or off.

Pretty much the same story here.  Early on, I thought heard very slight differences from toggling the phase inverter on certain recordings, but I couldn't pick up any difference at all when I played with it yesterday.  (I'm starting to wonder if the toggle is working as intended on my unit.)  For those of you who hear a clear difference with the inverter, is that true of all recordings or only some?  If the latter, could you direct me towards one where it is more obvious?  Is the sound interrupted at all when you hit the button or does it just change a little?

On an unrelated topic, I'd ask that Prot, prepro (who liked Prot's recent post) and money4me go back and reread the posts by those of us who actually own this dac a bit more carefully before trying to shove us all in the same box as "regurgitating" what the early reviewers already put out there.  There is a fair amount of agreement with certain aspects of Purrin's sentiment about the yggy's sonics, but you have glossed over a lot of details and specifics that probably do have some value to other readers, even if all you care about are Negura's comparisons to a particular vintage Theta that is totally inaccessible to most people.   Feel free to attack my initial comments as you will (http://www.head-fi.org/t/667711/new-schiit-ragnarok-and-yggdrasil/6390#post_11559214 ), but for those readers who are coming from mid-level sources and wondering what they might expect if they jump on the yggy bandwagon, I hope my comments will be of some use...particularly in comparison to the noise and valueless speculation certain prolific non-owners seem to feel the need to spout in this thread.    

May 4, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #6,698 of 9,484
well schiit, just ordered an Yggy.
is it July yet?
cool.gif

May 4, 2015 at 2:47 PM Post #6,700 of 9,484
Pretty much the same story here.  Early on, I thought heard very slight differences from toggling the phase inverter on certain recordings, but I couldn't pick up any difference at all when I played with it yesterday.  (I'm starting to wonder if the toggle is working as intended on my unit.)  For those of you who hear a clear difference with the inverter, is that true of all recordings or only some?  If the latter, could you direct me towards one where it is more obvious?  Is the sound interrupted at all when you hit the button or does it just change a little?

The difference is not discernible to some people, while identifiable with a fair amount of accuracy to others... You can check this thread:
http://www.hydrogenaud.io/forums/index.php?showtopic=28925&hl=

There was also a thread here I read last year in sound science and can't find it anymore. I met a local guy who went through the trouble of building a physical phase inverting box, but you may as well just download a plugin and try inverting each channel separately... then you'll hear it for sure, in real time. It is quite dramatic if only one channel is out of phase (it sounds like something is definitely wrong). Then you can go on to inverting both at the same time with the Yggy and perhaps you'll be able to notice it easier... Apparently some recordings are presented 180 degrees out of phase, and I suppose that's why the switch is available. I've also heard individual instruments/mics/tracks could be out of phase, but then you're pretty much screwed. Hopefully that isn't the case with professionally recorded music. I've found as I mentioned before that drums probably are impacted the most.

Edit: I actually have those two test wav files from that headfi thread on my laptop still. If anyone wants to hear them. Just PM and I'll email them.

May 4, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #6,701 of 9,484
AttentionOnly impressions that can be potentially construed as negative are allowed about the Yggy. Positive impressions are automatically invalid so please do not waste your energy typing them.

May 4, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #6,703 of 9,484
The difference is not discernible to some people, while identifiable with a fair amount of accuracy to others... You can check this thread:
http://www.hydrogenaud.io/forums/index.php?showtopic=28925&hl=

There was also a thread here I read last year in sound science and can't find it anymore. I met a local guy who went through the trouble of building a physical phase inverting box, but you may as well just download a plugin and try inverting each channel separately... then you'll hear it for sure, in real time. It is quite dramatic if only one channel is out of phase (it sounds like something is definitely wrong). Then you can go on to inverting both at the same time with the Yggy and perhaps you'll be able to notice it easier... Apparently some recordings are presented 180 degrees out of phase, and I suppose that's why the switch is available. I've also heard individual instruments/mics/tracks could be out of phase, but then you're pretty much screwed. Hopefully that isn't the case with professionally recorded music. I've found as I mentioned before that drums probably are impacted the most.

Edit: I actually have those two test wav files from that headfi thread on my laptop still. If anyone wants to hear them. Just PM and I'll email them.

it might be easier just to do this blind test http://www.audiocheck.net/blindtests_abspolarity.php

Users who are viewing this thread

Back