New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Mar 26, 2014 at 6:00 AM Post #1,277 of 9,484
For a desktop amp, a remote is most certainly a useless and worthless feature. Whether or not the Ragnarok is a desktop amp is what you're essentially debating here. To me, headphone amps should be desktop amps, and therefore I regard the Ragnarok as a desktop amp. Sure, more or less the biggest of them all...

For the Yggdrasil, if used with the Ragnarok or Mjolnir it is certainly out of its scope to have a volume control or a remote. But if this will be as high-performing a DAC as it seems, it will most certainly be used in stereo systems that not reside on a desktop as well. And then a remote certainly makes sense. Actually, for the Yggdrasil my stance is that even a volume control would make sense. (If nothing else because my Mjolnir has too high gain for my Denons :wink: )

Mar 26, 2014 at 8:09 AM Post #1,279 of 9,484
WIth my current setup I don't think I could live without a remote - I use a rack and the headphone amplifier ends up on the bottom shelf with the source on the top shelf.  Desks get pretty crowded when using flagship components, add in a USB transport, cabling headaches, and a rack soon becomes a necessity.  For speaker guys I'm pretty sure a remote is essential.  There are surely costs, delays etc with certification.  IMO if you have good quality relay based volume control you want to use that rather than DAC or software volume control.

Mar 26, 2014 at 8:26 AM Post #1,280 of 9,484
  It's the R500, but the 700/900 models seem to justify the increase in price via a larger enclosure and correspondingly heftier bass response : AFAIK, they have the same driver array.

Curiously for mine, KEF seems intent on targeting the smaller model floorstander at the HT crowd, where the R-series has reportedly been well received - if this review is anything to go by, there is a lot more to the R500 than most Blu-Ray soundtracks would hope to reveal :

http://www.soundstagehifi.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=444:kef-r500-loudspeakers

I understand that many with larger rooms will rush straight for larger speakers, but I will have the opposite problem to contend with and its very easy to overpower a smaller room.

cool, i was actually listening to those all day yesterday in my friends house. He has a lovely clear audio concept turntable. I have to say though - i do prefer my WA2/HD800 
wink.gif

Mar 26, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #1,281 of 9,484
If I'm remembering right, the reason Schiit doesn't do remotes is because of the stringent FCC regulations for such devices.

That's why I suggested it on Yggy, since it has to go through that anyway, whereas Rag doesn't.

Mar 26, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #1,282 of 9,484
That's why I suggested it on Yggy, since it has to go through that anyway, whereas Rag doesn't.

Why does a DAC need to go throught FCC approval that an amp doesn't?

Mar 26, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #1,284 of 9,484
  My guess is that the DAC could give out some RF noise due to higher frequency that some DAC's run at.

I can't really see how getting FCC approval for an off the shelf remote can be much of burden.  It's not going to be a Schiit remove, you can, I assume, just buy implementations from Tawain.  May be the 'made in USA' hurdle?

Mar 26, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #1,286 of 9,484
Clearly the solution to the remote is to do something like this...

rm-g30u.jpg

Mar 26, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #1,287 of 9,484
I have an iMac/CD transport in my study that feeds my Mytek/WA22/HD800. When I'm reviewing music on the Mac, I don't always want to have the headphones on so I also have a pair of Quad 21L speakers in the room. The ability of the Rag to handle both chores is why I will purchase ASAP.

I think my application is a good example of the target demographic - a world-class desktop headphone amplifier that can also power my speakers. If we add too much more to the product, it becomes more expensive and loses focus - and its appeal for my application.

If, for some, a priority application is room speaker amplification, and a remote is needed, there is always the option of buying a preamp/dac with a remote.

While all manufacturers appreciate client input, I think one of the reasons Jason doesn't jump into these kinds of conversations is to ensure they are designing by application and not by committee.

Mar 26, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #1,290 of 9,484

Users who are viewing this thread

Back