New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Mar 28, 2014 at 3:37 AM Post #1,307 of 9,484
The black is totally understandable, the remote is slighly sad thou since its very lazy-friendly design.
However Im thinking if you spend this much cash on an amp, dedicated would be a better word to describe you rather than lazy.

Mar 28, 2014 at 4:59 AM Post #1,308 of 9,484
Being a statement amp means it is meant to be elevated to the lofty status of hi-end equipment.
And we all know that all high end audiophool equipment has some form of pain involved, somewhere, somehow, in some way or other…
And the loftier the greater the pain potential. (soldering iron burns included!)

Sacrifices MUST be made…
Limitations ARE mandatory…

These are just the given signs which just affirms that we are indeed aiming at that rarefied atmosphere.

Take heart, and know that by these signs we all shall achieve that lofty status!

Ok so ya HAVE to know that this MUST be read with tongue firmly affixed to one's cheek, with a wink and nudge, know what I mean, say no more… 

JJ 
atsmile.gif

Mar 28, 2014 at 7:36 AM Post #1,309 of 9,484
I don't understand why you can't just let it go. Pretty much from the get go Jason said they weren't for remotes or displays.

+1

And from all that has been published and Schiit's own mantra of affordability whilst being awesome, adding non essential features that increases cost is the exact opposite of who they are as a brand..

Mar 28, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #1,311 of 9,484
  I don't understand why you can't just let it go. Pretty much from the get go Jason said they weren't for remotes or displays.

seconded.  Schiit is a cool company and I'm glad you dig their products enough to want them to make your dream device, but they have a very clear M.O. and sound financial and business reasons to stick with it.  If those features are dealbreakers, there are other companies that make excellent products.

Mar 28, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #1,312 of 9,484
My very old NAD receiver had a motorized volume control. It also had an illuminated red dot on the knob so you could see the position easily from the couch. It was a real mechanical pot, not one of those new-fangled, girly-man electronic doo-dads that change the volume in predetermined steps of 0.5 or 1.0 db. Ah, the good old days!

Mar 28, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #1,313 of 9,484
I'm pretty much in the "less is more" camp, and my use case for these products, just like my Mjolnir and Gungnir, will be on a desktop within arm's reach.

For my home system, the only 2 audio devices that have remotes are my Ayre K1xe and Integra DHC 80.3 (replacing an ever-flaky, expensive to upgrade, Theta Casablanca III).   Since the Ragnarok is neither purely a preamp or amp, I wouldn't use it for anything other than a headphone amp, but I can understand why people, at this (purported) price point, would want to use it as a preamp + amp, in which case a remote would be warranted.

I think it's an unfortunate grey area, but I intend on picking the set up for use at my desk.

Mar 29, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #1,314 of 9,484
I am very interested in Yggdrasil.  Much less so in Ragnarok.  Hmm, to purchase an Uber Bitfrost now or to wait and hope Yggdrasil appears this summer?  Hmm...

Mar 29, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #1,315 of 9,484
  I am very interested in Yggdrasil.  Much less so in Ragnarok.  Hmm, to purchase an Uber Bitfrost now or to wait and hope Yggdrasil appears this summer?  Hmm...

Ditto, except for me it's either buy the uber Gungnir or wait . . . . and wait . . . .
It would be nice if Jason would leak a detail about the Ygg now and then to ease our suffering!

Mar 29, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #1,319 of 9,484
  if it doesn't have a 65 inch LED display i'm boycotting...

j/k :)

You know, one of the things I really like about my current DAC is the LCD screen on it.  I'm kinda surprised the Ygg doesn't even have a rudimentary one, being the company's statement dac.  

Mar 29, 2014 at 10:35 PM Post #1,320 of 9,484
if it doesn't have a 65 inch LED display i'm boycotting...

j/k :)

Yes, and leds that change color with the volume and sample rate and bit depth, and accessorily, rythm & pace. :wink:.

Seriously, i want to hear more about the iggy, the amp I am less curious about. Some people talked about R2R, what is it going to be or, at least, how far along are we?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back