New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Mar 25, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #1,261 of 9,484
  same thing for yggdrasil please!!!! 
biggrin.gif

Pleeeeease!!!!!!!!

Mar 25, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #1,262 of 9,484

+1
Did anybody get a listen at the OC meet? HD800s?

I heard the Ragnarok with the Alpha Dog and HD800 at Jason's table. I was very impressed with the sound quality and I'd probably look at the Ragnarok as an all-in-one amp/preamp end all be all of amplifiers. The volume knob had a ton of play and both headphones sounded fantastic through the Ragnarok. Did I mention I listened to the Alpha Dogs through them? Now I am going to order a pair 
L3000.gif

Mar 25, 2014 at 6:47 PM Post #1,263 of 9,484

I heard the Ragnarok with the Alpha Dog and HD800 at Jason's table. I was very impressed with the sound quality and I'd probably look at the Ragnarok as an all-in-one amp/preamp end all be all of amplifiers. The volume knob had a ton of play and both headphones sounded fantastic through the Ragnarok. Did I mention I listened to the Alpha Dogs through them? Now I am going to order a pair 
L3000.gif

This is great for me to read.  I have the Alpha's, and really think this amp could be an endgame unit for me.

Mar 25, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #1,264 of 9,484
  I didn't realize this thing was going to have speaker taps, very nice.

OK, based on your previous comments, I'm beginning to wonder if you read the OP at all  :wink:

(and Jason is probably wondering if any of us have read it, but in my defence it was soooo long ago ....)

Mar 25, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #1,265 of 9,484
OK, based on your previous comments, I'm beginning to wonder if you read the OP at all  :wink:

(and Jason is probably wondering if any of us have read it, but in my defence it was soooo long ago ....)

The OP also says availability in late 2013 :wink:

Mar 25, 2014 at 7:00 PM Post #1,266 of 9,484

L3000.gif

Thanks for that - now all I have to do is get my hands on one (I'm sure stock will be an issue when it goes on sale) and take it to my KEF dealer. Very promising.

92dB @ 8ohm - hardly AR monoblock territory  :D

Mar 25, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #1,267 of 9,484

Thanks for that - now all I have to do is get my hands on one (I'm sure stock will be an issue when it goes on sale) and take it to my KEF dealer. Very promising.

are those r500 or r900?

Mar 25, 2014 at 10:45 PM Post #1,268 of 9,484

These new KEFs caught my eye as well.  I've had the Ascend Sierra Tower on my to buy list for quite a while but I thought I should take a closer look at these before committing to anything.

Mar 25, 2014 at 11:25 PM Post #1,269 of 9,484
Yeah, those speakers looks sexsational. Have your heard them or own them? If so how do they fair good sir?

Mar 25, 2014 at 11:30 PM Post #1,270 of 9,484
It's the R500, but the 700/900 models seem to justify the increase in price via a larger enclosure and correspondingly heftier bass response : AFAIK, they have the same driver array.

Curiously for mine, KEF seems intent on targeting the smaller model floorstander at the HT crowd, where the R-series has reportedly been well received - if this review is anything to go by, there is a lot more to the R500 than most Blu-Ray soundtracks would hope to reveal :

http://www.soundstagehifi.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=444:kef-r500-loudspeakers

I understand that many with larger rooms will rush straight for larger speakers, but I will have the opposite problem to contend with and its very easy to overpower a smaller room.

Mar 25, 2014 at 11:33 PM Post #1,271 of 9,484
  Yeah, those speakers looks sexsational. Have your heard them or own them? If so how do they fair good sir?

Will audition them in late April-early May. Was originally drawn to the 'must-have' speaker of the last 12 or so months, KEF's LS50, but I'd really like a 3-way design that's large enough to generate solid bass. I guess I'll find out soon enough whether these fit the bill - the rest is up to Jason and Co over the next ~30 days  :D

Mar 26, 2014 at 2:20 AM Post #1,272 of 9,484
  Jason already explained his sound reasoning for not implementing a remote. Do your own research. :facepalm:

-Daniel

No need to get snippy.

I like an integrated amplifier to have these minimum features: good headphone out, remote control, preamp output, power amp input, mute, no power-up/down thump and an actual remote you wouldn't mind using - even if it's basic.

Even better if it has no cheap volume pot inside, sensitivity adjustment for each channel for volume matching, balance control and subwoofer output.

As to the sound reasoning, I'm sure it makes sense for him. For me the lack of a remote makes this amp a desktop amp, for the computer generation. Which is OK, that's Schiit's audience anyway. If they can spend $500 for an iPhone that lasts them two years, they sure as hell can spend $1500 on an amplifier to last them 20 years.

Mar 26, 2014 at 2:46 AM Post #1,273 of 9,484
Perhaps Mike is saving the remote for the Yggy? Not sure what his stance on digital volume is, but perhaps their new approach will include signal attenuation above 24bits (inaudible).

Mar 26, 2014 at 3:10 AM Post #1,274 of 9,484

No need to get snippy.

I like an integrated amplifier to have these minimum features: good headphone out, remote control, preamp output, power amp input, mute, no power-up/down thump and an actual remote you wouldn't mind using - even if it's basic.

Even better if it has no cheap volume pot inside, sensitivity adjustment for each channel for volume matching, balance control and subwoofer output.

As to the sound reasoning, I'm sure it makes sense for him. For me the lack of a remote makes this amp a desktop amp, for the computer generation. Which is OK, that's Schiit's audience anyway. If they can spend $500 for an iPhone that lasts them two years, they sure as hell can spend $1500 on an amplifier to last them 20 years.

Sounds like you better be looking at other options, then.
-Daniel

Mar 26, 2014 at 3:50 AM Post #1,275 of 9,484
For a $1500 amp geared mainly towards desktop headphones listening, I wouldn't expect a remote control feature to be included. If there's anything to facepalm about, it's that you expected otherwise. Hell, even my speaker amp doesn't have remote control feature, but it's not a high end one. For mainly desktop headphone listeners (majority of head-fiers and Schiit prospect customers), that feature would be useless, and will probably bump the price up at least $200. To that I say nay. Keep things simple and free of (expensive) bells and whistles. Schiit's target demographic has never been speaker listeners, and that hasn't exactly been made unclear at all.

No need to get snippy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back