New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Jun 20, 2015 at 7:43 PM Post #8,131 of 9,484
As an electrician, I feel that whole "pure sinewave" label is also kind of a marketing thing... you'd have to buy a pretty crappy UPS to get a stepped-wave/square-wave output. Basically the "pure sinewave" is using pulse width modulation, just like DSD. 1-bit, on/off except it's a DC voltage, and then there's a filter to smooth it out and turn it into your "pure sinewave". Apparently, reading the reviews, the pure sinewave are better for sensitive equipment. I would honestly think the utility's power with a conditioner would be better for actually running your equipment while you listen. I would suggest just using the UPS for aux power just to keep it in standby when you're dark.

(Also, for reference, the newer physically smaller generators basically produce high frequency AC, which rectifies onto a DC bus, then they have a PWM inverter to produce your AC).

Jun 20, 2015 at 7:48 PM Post #8,132 of 9,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddog

+1 good questions. I am new at this aspect of the hobby.

Give one of these some consideration:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00429N19W?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

It's a pure sign wave output UPS - the 1000VA model should keep a 35 watt load running for over two hours. You could move up to the 1500VA for more run time, which might not be a bad idea in sunny/stormy Florida.

Thanks for the information. I shall get one ordered within the week.

Jun 20, 2015 at 8:00 PM Post #8,133 of 9,484
As an electrician, I feel that whole "pure sinewave" label is also kind of a marketing thing... you'd have to buy a pretty crappy UPS to get a stepped-wave/square-wave output. Basically the "pure sinewave" is using pulse width modulation, just like DSD. 1-bit, on/off except it's a DC voltage, and then there's a filter to smooth it out and turn it into your "pure sinewave". Apparently, reading the reviews, the pure sinewave are better for sensitive equipment. I would honestly think the utility's power with a conditioner would be better for actually running your equipment while you listen. I would suggest just using the UPS for aux power just to keep it in standby when you're dark.

(Also, for reference, the newer physically smaller generators basically produce high frequency AC, which rectifies onto a DC bus, then they have a PWM inverter to produce your AC).

I agree with you if the only use will be audio gear. The reason I made the recommendation is that a lot of users will also hang a computer off the same device. The new generation of active PFC computer power supplies won't successfully transition to battery power on an non PSW based UPS. Since the price differential is fairly small (approx $20), I figure it's best for most to go with a PSW UPS.

None of the UPS devices in this price class run connected devices on battery power when in normal operation - as you suggest, they act as a conditioner until power is lost or the under/over voltage limits kick in, then transition to battery.

Jun 20, 2015 at 10:23 PM Post #8,135 of 9,484
I'm glad you are going for it. Every Yggy should come with a backup power supply.

+1 Well said. The yggy owners all should get such a device. I would rather spend the money on something different, but that magic the yggy produces is worth it.

Jun 21, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #8,136 of 9,484

So for someone who just wants a UPS that will be used for the Yggy only (no computer, no other equipment), will a cheaper unit with a stepped approx sine wave (like this one: http://www.amazon.com/APC-BE550G-Back-UPS-8-outlet-Uninterruptible/dp/B0019804U8/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8) be fine?

Jun 21, 2015 at 3:49 PM Post #8,137 of 9,484

So for someone who just wants a UPS that will be used for the Yggy only (no computer, no other equipment), will a cheaper unit with a stepped approx sine wave (like this one: http://www.amazon.com/APC-BE550G-Back-UPS-8-outlet-Uninterruptible/dp/B0019804U8/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8) be fine?

Yes, that would work and should provide around 1.5 hours of power assuming the Yggy is the only device on the battery.

Jun 21, 2015 at 9:48 PM Post #8,138 of 9,484
+1 Well said. The yggy owners all should get such a device. I would rather spend the money on something different, but that magic the yggy produces is worth it.

If some of the chips inside yggy are so sensitive to temperature,   a real solution for next gen yggy should be adding heating/cooling components in yggy to keep them in constant temp.   No matter environment and yggy is too cold or too hot,  these components can bring critical yggy parts to optimal temperature in less an hour.

It's shouldn't be too hard to do. And there are electrical components for heating, and for cooling.

Jun 22, 2015 at 8:07 AM Post #8,139 of 9,484
  If some of the chips inside yggy are so sensitive to temperature,   a real solution for next gen yggy should be adding heating/cooling components in yggy to keep them in constant temp.   No matter environment and yggy is too cold or too hot,  these components can bring critical yggy parts to optimal temperature in less an hour.

It's shouldn't be too hard to do. And there are electrical components for heating, and for cooling.

Those electrical components are already installed!  

All you have to do is keep it plugged in and turned on.

Jun 22, 2015 at 8:14 AM Post #8,140 of 9,484
Yes, that would work and should provide around 1.5 hours of power assuming the Yggy is the only device on the battery.

Wouldnt you want an online UPS, just so it would regenerate clean power. Ive always assumed those basic UPS are only a backup power source. Someone correct me if Im wrong?

Jun 22, 2015 at 9:07 AM Post #8,141 of 9,484

Wouldnt you want an online UPS, just so it would regenerate clean power. Ive always assumed those basic UPS are only a backup power source. Someone correct me if Im wrong?

From what I read most of them generate extra artifacts and at other frequencies,
So the most pure signal is actually your original, or by only the best ones costing $1k and up..
Yet practically speaking,
I dont think anyone would still be listening thru yggy in a blackout anyway lol.

So its actually a good thing is that these lower cost UPS dont kick in untill needed.

For those looking for a cleaner AC signal that should be a separate topic.
I myself bought an hospital grade "Isolation Transformer"
To separate my AC from the main line.
Thats supposed to be better than using any power strip for noise & protection...
:)

Or Amazon

I bought mine off amazon but the even cheaper unit with only 2 outlet as I only wanted for the yggy..

Jun 22, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #8,142 of 9,484
  If some of the chips inside yggy are so sensitive to temperature,   a real solution for next gen yggy should be adding heating/cooling components in yggy to keep them in constant temp.

Or they could simply remove the page from the manual and people would go back to being oblivious to the performance gains from leaving gear on 24/7 that was always there but not noticeable to most until someone put it in the manual.  Joys of expectation bias.

Jun 22, 2015 at 10:56 AM Post #8,143 of 9,484
Oh, you spoilsport.........  
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back