New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Jun 22, 2015 at 9:55 PM Post #8,149 of 9,484
Speaking on the topic of power.

Which is better?

Furman Linear Power Conditioner or the TripLite Isolation Transformer?

Or can we run both in parallel for best effect?

I have wondered myself about that as I have the Furman Power Conditioner in series ( one after the other) with the isolation transformer..

The answer is, ..

Ready? Ha..

Ok the answer is this:

If you have the "normal" isolation transformer, by which I mean, that the outlet ground is tied to the source ground,
Then it is ok to place before the "Furman Power Conditioner", ..

BUT,

If you have an altered or modded "isolation transformer" In which the ground wire is disconnected between the primary & secondaries, in order to be a total isolation, as the "Hospital grade" versions have,

THEN you need to place the "Power conditioner" BEFORE the "iso trans",
Because,
In order for the power conditioner to function properly and protect from lightning and surge,
it NEEDS TO HAVE GRound connection...

So, In my case,
since I have the "hospital grade iso" , I need to put my "power conditioner into wall socket first, then plug my "iso trans" into it after and then finnally my yggy...

but now I have to decide where this "UPS" backup will go...
:p

I am thinking between the "power cond", to protect it, and then the "iso trans" to detach from the noise & imperfect AC it would generate...

Another reason why its a good idea to use the "power cond" as first line of defense, it because it is usually the cheapest to die in an overvoltage protection event, such as a lightning bolt,
AND ususally you can get a replacement with warranty easier..
:)

Edit:
By power cond., I meant a power strip with protection,(in my case, the Furman)..

Yes you can settle for all in one solution,
but it makes more sense to protect your expensive UPS with a "power strip" protection..

Jun 22, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #8,150 of 9,484
Just get balanced power (240v -> 60/60v is the best). You don't need anything else.

Can you please explain as I am curious to know every possible option

Jun 22, 2015 at 10:47 PM Post #8,151 of 9,484
smily_headphones1.gif

Read the articles at http://www.equitech.com/

In my experience, power conditioning products reduce dynamics, while isolation transformer can cause distortion? (too small? not sure why). My used 3RQ on the hand.... worth every penny.

Jun 23, 2015 at 10:48 AM Post #8,153 of 9,484

Read the articles at http://www.equitech.com/

In my experience, power conditioning products reduce dynamics, while isolation transformer can cause distortion? (too small? not sure why). My used 3RQ on the hand.... worth every penny.

thanks I just read most all info.
Very nice tech and another means to an end of noise in the line.
Also super duper expensooo(!) Lol.

I like the "son-of-q-jr" ,
But I already have my line of defense,
which is a powerstrip/cond in series with my iso trans,
with is good enough for my low power needs for yggy,headphone amp combo...

I could see that other system work wonders for larger systems...
Also not really stated, is that their system is also based off transformer to do the voltage step down and phase.
So in a sense they are primarily a "iso transformer" still, with a different grounding solution to cancel out any possible ground noise, which actually would be less than stated to begin with,
because output is already separated from source due to transformer ..
:wink:
edit not knocking it down, as it seems like an elaborate way to eliminate noise to ground,
but I also could see just why the electrician in the review did not like the idea or design,
because of possible interaction between to differently connected components, as the ground potentials are different..
This is why the sytem had gfi breakers.

Anyways I am sure there is plenty protection as this sytem is very intelligent design.

Everyones actual audio setup will vary if you actually need this type of elaborate system..

Jun 23, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #8,154 of 9,484
With the final revision of the Yggdrasil, is keeping it on 24/7 still necessary?

Jun 23, 2015 at 11:55 AM Post #8,156 of 9,484
I think you would only need balanced power if you seek the ultimate in power line noise reduction(eg. your house powerline is very polluted by external sources).

Most of the time a simple linear power conditoner will be more than sufficient for most DAC/home. There are reports of power conditoner hurting dynamics of sound systems but my furman elite 15/16(220v/120v) power conditoner didn't affect my dac or speakers dynamics at all. Instead power conditioning improved the background darkness of the soundstage quite significantly, microdetails in music become more noticeable than before.

The key to clean power is removing any other noisy electrical devices(lamps, motors) that share the same power line as your sound system.

Try experimenting by dedicating a single power point to your dac and see if things improves(dynamics and background darkness)

Jun 23, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #8,158 of 9,484

Yes, just like your GDA-700.

Ah I never leave mine on but does leaving it on benefit all or most R2R DACs in general?

Jun 23, 2015 at 12:24 PM Post #8,159 of 9,484
All audio gear, not just dacs.  Up to you to decide if the bill is worth the 1% improvement.  It is for me.

Jun 23, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #8,160 of 9,484
  Speaking on the topic of power.

Which is better?

Furman Linear Power Conditioner or the TripLite Isolation Transformer?

Or can we run both in parallel for best effect?

Series, not parallel.  Couldn't hurt.  An isolation transformer alone would be just fine.  If you want to add voltage regulation as well on another device after, that would be fine.  Those devices with the sinusoidal step approximation I don't know whether they'll be a problem or not.  Think of it as a sine wave that's got lots of harmonic distortion (higher frequency).  The first thing your gear does is straight up convert to DC.  The design of the power supply of the component comes more into play here.  Given the amount of regulation and filtering used in the schiit gear, I doubt there would be any appreciable difference between that and a pure sine wave.  They should be able to filter out all the high frequency noise easily enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back