NEW - Schiit Asgard 2
Dec 30, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #2,011 of 2,741
The Cayin C5 is a very nice portable amp, but I think you'll find the A2 to be more transparent and allow you to hear more detail than the C5 plus it should sound more dynamic.

It's been too long since I've heard the 650's (my son now has them) on the A2, but I have heard the 600's on the Asgard 2 recently and its a great combination. A lot depends on your source, not only your DAC but source files. Of course, even low cost DAC's are getting so good nowadays that you probably have that covered. Just be sure to use good quality source material and I think you'll be very pleased with your results. Keep in mind that Schiit Audio does allow you to return the amp if you're not happy with it. 

Like I said before, if you're looking for more of that "tube-like" sound (nothing wrong with that, I love tube amps) then the A2 probably won't be want you're looking for...though the A2 is not a cold sounding solid state amp at all.

Good luck!

The Cayin C5 is a solid state amp, and I thoroughly loved it's sound, so I believe I will enjoy what the Asgard two brings to the table.

And as for the Asgard 1, is the Asgard 2 a direct improvement in all ways? I ask because I've heard good things about the original.

Dec 30, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #2,012 of 2,741
Sorry, I never owned nor heard the original Asgard but obviously it was very highly regarded. There's a lot of truly great gear available these days (wonderful time to be in this hobby/passion/sickness <grin>) yet I don't know of another company that offers as much for your money as Schiit Audio. Plus, if you're not happy you can always send it back but I seriously doubt you will. Hope you enjoy your amp! 

Dec 30, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #2,013 of 2,741
I've heard that a few people prefer the slightly warmer and more laid back character of the original Asgard, but in all objective ways (and to my ears as well) the Asgard 2 is better.

Dec 30, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #2,017 of 2,741
  Can an Asgard 2 power a HifiMan 500 or 560?  Thanks

I use my Asgard 2 and my HE-500's all the time, it's a first rate experience. 
happy_face1.gif
 Highly recommended.

Dec 30, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #2,018 of 2,741
I'm not sure if I'm going to go with the Asgard 2 after all :frowning2: I just checked and it appears I'm going to be charged sales tax since I live in California. At that rate it comes out to $280, at which point it loses some value for me.

Dec 30, 2014 at 10:00 PM Post #2,019 of 2,741
I'm not sure if I'm going to go with the Asgard 2 after all
frown.gif
I just checked and it appears I'm going to be charged sales tax since I live in California. At that rate it comes out to $280, at which point it loses some value for me.

How about a Magni 2 Uber?

Dec 31, 2014 at 12:43 AM Post #2,022 of 2,741
I haven't heard the Lyr or Valhalla but even at $280 I would still say the Asgard 2 is worth it. It can handle the vast majority of headphones you can throw at it, it is built like a tank, and the fact that you're so close to them means you'll get it even faster. 

I took a chance on it thinking there was a 50/50 chance I'd send it back since I'd never heard it, but it was better than products I demoed at nearby audio stores costing almost twice as much. Still happy a year later. 

Jan 1, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #2,023 of 2,741
  I haven't heard the Lyr or Valhalla but even at $280 I would still say the Asgard 2 is worth it. It can handle the vast majority of headphones you can throw at it, it is built like a tank, and the fact that you're so close to them means you'll get it even faster. 

I took a chance on it thinking there was a 50/50 chance I'd send it back since I'd never heard it, but it was better than products I demoed at nearby audio stores costing almost twice as much. Still happy a year later. 

+1  Love my ASGARD 2.  Not quite a year into them, but getting there, and they've never failed to impress me or family/friends when they visit.  (Full range of Classical fans to "Bass-Head" nephews and nieces.)  Classical/Vocals sounds incredible with the Sennheiser HD-650s (HARD TO FIND AN AMP THAT DRIVES THESE WELL!)  The J-POP, K-POP, DUB-STEP, House/Trance, and American POP listening kids love the Photive PH-BTX6 headphones with the ASGARD 2.  I am awaiting delivery of a Pair of JVC HA-SZ2000s to REALLY get the most out of this amp with that "bass-heavy" kind of music.  Then it will just blow their minds!  (I'm going to have to chain the JVCs down to prevent them from "growing legs" for when the kids want to "borrow them" to let their friends listen!) 
wink.gif

For anything else, The Koss PortaPros, VMODA BASS FREQs, or UE Super.Fi 3s work beautifully on the "LOW GAIN" setting.

Hopefully that gives you an idea of the breadth of musical application that the ASGARD 2s excel at.

Jan 1, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #2,024 of 2,741

I found out I can buy the Asgard 2 from Cloth and Metal (a dealer listed on Schiit's website) for $267. They are charging tax since they are located in California but shipping is free. Oh well, too bad I already purchased a Lyr 2. Got it for $325 in "Like New" condition.

Jan 6, 2015 at 12:30 PM Post #2,025 of 2,741
  Hey everyone,

I'm picking up an Asgard 2 and was wondering. Will my ATH-AD700's and ATH-A900x's benefit from it? Currently I am running both headphones off a fiio e10. Should there be noticeable improvement when I plug into say an Asgard2/Modi2 stack?

thanks!

Just wanted to comment on this as I received my Asgard2 yesterday. It offers really nice improvements on my 900s. The base is much more punchy than it was and a lot less bloated. Also the mids seems to be better separated from the lows (where as on the e10 they seemed to bleed together). Its running off a modi DAC which is a huge improvement over the built in DAC on the e10. I'm already eyeing some higher ohm cans to get the most out of my Asgard, some DT-990's or maybe some HD650s perhaps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back