NEW - Schiit Asgard 2
Jan 13, 2015 at 8:38 PM Post #2,041 of 2,741
I use single-ended IC's so for me it's a fantastic amp. I've mentioned it before, but a fellow music lover/crackpot/audiophile/nutcase buddy brought over his $800 Musical Fidelity headphone amp and we both agreed (using several sets of headphones with music we were both familiar with) that the Asgard 2 sounds better...runs warmer (like Class A should) but to both of us it sounds better. The MF is a great amp but in my opinion, the $249 A2 is better. 

The way you describe the A2, I might get one for porch, so I can jam out and watch the river otters, that have migrated into the area.

Jan 13, 2015 at 9:04 PM Post #2,042 of 2,741
The way you describe the A2, I might get one for porch, so I can jam out and watch the river otters, that have migrated into the area.

My uncle has river otters in the stream that runs behind his house and those things are a trip...I use to take my oldest son (just a boy then) down to the dock and watch them for an hour or so every time we were there. I don't mean to overstate how good the A2 is as a headphone amp yet my honest opinion is IF it were priced higher it would be taken more seriously...which is a shame. 

It makes for a very sweet sounding preamp as well. I've always been a fan of passive preamps in the right setup yet the Asgard 2 replaced a very nice Creek OBH-22 as my office preamp as it sounds just as neutral/clean but has better dynamics. It's hard to beat a great sounding Class "A" headphone amp for IEM's and planar full-size can's plus a wonderful sounding preamp to boot, all for $250. I bet the otters would come around more often...or hang out longer.  
biggrin.gif

Jan 13, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #2,043 of 2,741
Sweet I will order one soon , and then I will save up for the Yggdrasil.:) Thanks for the feedback.

Jan 14, 2015 at 9:17 AM Post #2,044 of 2,741
I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine. I still love my Lyr but I use the Asgard 2 more...

Jan 16, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #2,045 of 2,741
Seriously considering downgrading my Lyr 2 to an Asgard 2 or Magni Uber. I A/B'd the Lyr with a gen 1 Magni and couldn't tell the difference, even with good tubes. I will probably get an LCD2 in the future, if the A2 is fine driving them and other TOTL phones, I just don't understand why more expensive amps are available. As a newer user, I thought more money meant better sound when I ordered the Lyr.

Jan 16, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #2,046 of 2,741
  Seriously considering downgrading my Lyr 2 to an Asgard 2 or Magni Uber. I A/B'd the Lyr with a gen 1 Magni and couldn't tell the difference, even with good tubes. I will probably get an LCD2 in the future, if the A2 is fine driving them and other TOTL phones, I just don't understand why more expensive amps are available. As a newer user, I thought more money meant better sound when I ordered the Lyr.

In Schiit case, more money means more power. Sound quality wise they're all excellent and hard to tell apart.

Jan 16, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #2,047 of 2,741
  Seriously considering downgrading my Lyr 2 to an Asgard 2. I A/B'd the Lyr with a gen 1 Magni and couldn't tell the difference, even with good tubes. I will probably get an LCD2 in the future, if the A2 is fine driving them and other TOTL phones, I just don't understand why more expensive amps are available. As a newer user, I thought more money meant better sound when I ordered the Lyr.

Other than better build or fancier cabinetry or more wattage than one needs, I'd say that in most cases there's more $ than reason to much of this. Expectation and emotions weigh heavily into all of this. One still has to be careful because I'm sure it's not hard to find something that is either designed and or constructed poorly.

Jan 16, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #2,048 of 2,741
  Other than better build or fancier cabinetry or more wattage than one needs, I'd say that in most cases there's more $ than reason to much of this. Expectation and emotions weigh heavily into all of this. One still has to be careful because I'm sure it's not hard to find something that is either designed and or constructed poorly.

Can an Asgard 2 power the Audeze planars?   I've been really happy with my Asgard 2, but the most challenging headphone I've tried with it is an AKG 340, which isn't perhaps an ideal pairing.  Asgard 2 is terrific with my AKG K712's and all the traditional dynamic phones I've tried with it.

Jan 16, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #2,049 of 2,741

Can an Asgard 2 power the Audeze planars?   I've been really happy with my Asgard 2, but the most challenging headphone I've tried with it is an AKG 340, which isn't perhaps an ideal pairing.  Asgard 2 is terrific with my AKG K712's and all the traditional dynamic phones I've tried with it.

All of the Audeze LCD cans have an "Optimal Power Requirement" of 1-4W. Their impedences differ, the LCD2/3 are the hardest to drive with 50Ohm impedences. The A2 puts out 1WPC @ 50Ohms. The Lyr 2 puts out 4WPC @ 50Ohms. Whether or not that would relate to an audible difference, I don't know. 1WPC is still in the optimal zone.

Jan 16, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #2,050 of 2,741

The A2 works perfectly fine with my HE-500's. Unless the particular LCD truly requires more than 1W, I see no problems. Many people make claims for wattage that will never be used, even on peaks. What's not to be used is not needed. The A2 can deliver its power cleanly and without issues. If you ask me, this audio thing is overloaded with stories. I think this pairing thing is overrated because I don't think an Amp is going to change the character of a headphone, barring a rotten amp that will degrade it.
Many report that the 340's have issues with treble and can be strident. Two links below:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/two-vintage-akg-headphones-k240-sextett-and-k340-electrostatic-dynamic-page-2
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/more-diy-orthos-and-two-akg-k-340-page-2

Jan 16, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #2,051 of 2,741
  Can an Asgard 2 power the Audeze planars?  

If that tells you anything... I'm using my LCD-2F with the volume pot around 9 am on high gain. That's plenty enough in my book.

Jan 16, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #2,052 of 2,741

Listening at home with my HE-400 and HD598 - had Asgard (one of the first) wanted to upgrade to Lyr, bought Magni 2 Uber and will now sell the Asgard. It's all I need....Funny enough.
My T90 with the Bottlehead Crack in the office is a different ballgame :wink: 

Cheers,
K

Jan 16, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #2,053 of 2,741
Audeze LCD-2F is 70 Ohm with 93 dB/mW sensitivity. Asgard's 1W (and that's RMS, not peak power) would be enough to drive them to 123 dB. That's 3 dB higher than threshold of pain.

So unless you're trying to drive something like HE-6 into a pain territory - you will be fine with Asgard 2 and any other headphone out there.

Jan 16, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #2,054 of 2,741
Thanks Stan...

K340's are kind of a unique animal.  To me, AKG phones generally seem a bit bright, --some folks recommend a tube amp to 'soften' the sound.  I just stuck with the Asgard 2 since it's very clean, noise free, and seems transparent to me.  I really like the K340's for some things, but the K712's have more lower bass extension and have a more coherent imaging.  I'm trying out a pair of Fidelio X2's this weekend, I'm curious about them.  I think my next big move might be to Audeze planars... 

Jan 16, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #2,055 of 2,741
  Thanks Stan...

K340's are kind of a unique animal.  To me, AKG phones generally seem a bit bright, --some folks recommend a tube amp to 'soften' the sound.  I just stuck with the Asgard 2 since it's very clean, noise free, and seems transparent to me.  I really like the K340's for some things, but the K712's have more lower bass extension and have a more coherent imaging.  I'm trying out a pair of Fidelio X2's this weekend, I'm curious about them.  I think my next big move might be to Audeze planars... 

I'm a fan of Planars and have a pair of HE-500's which I enjoy very much. My Asgard 2 does an excellent job of driving them. Have you been able to spend some time listening to Planars?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back