NEW - Schiit Asgard 2
Dec 29, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #1,997 of 2,741
Hi,
Anyone run the LCD2 fazor on the Asgard 2 and how they sound?
Thanks

I do and they sound great. Clean with lots of power to spare.

Dec 30, 2014 at 3:12 AM Post #1,998 of 2,741
  Though my power plug type is the one used state-side, I just grabbed an old power cord from a retired HP PC.  Worked a treat.

... only interested in UK plug users, really. i have a feeling that either the UK is a complete afterthought or cables boxed with hifi items are expected to be swapped out. thing is, UK consumer law contains the principal of being 'fit for purpose' - and if you can't ensure it can be powered reliably and safely, it's simply not. doesn't matter if i could be largely expected to buy into an expensive third party power cable, as the idea is intended to be across-the-board. standardised fittings for power cables (IEC's, for example), despite how reassuring and simplifying this is meant to be, suddenly become a puzzle with indeterminate elements when you find the one apparently selected as the so-called 'most appropriate' doesn't work well enough. so, which one's actually do?! i dunno, personally. seems like a very weak link to me. sets up UK distributor for complicated additional issues as they're expected to take on the responsibility of either correcting the problem or accepting the item can be legally returned for refund - even if people do have other cables to try, the buyer can expect the supplier to solve the issue as part of the cost and conditions of the sale.

Dec 30, 2014 at 11:36 AM Post #2,001 of 2,741
Does anyone here know how well the Schiit Asgard 2 goes with the Sennheiser 650s? I'm coming from a Cayin C5. I'm selling it to help purchase a desktop amp in the $200-$300 price range.

If you like clean, solid-state sound, then it goes together very well. From a technical perspective it's a good match as well.

Dec 30, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #2,002 of 2,741
The Asgard 2 will allow your source device and files shine with the Sennheiser 650's. I find that the A2 will scale very well with whatever DAC you put in front of it so as long as you have a good DAC and source files/media you'll be more than pleased with your results. 

Dec 30, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #2,003 of 2,741
Ok I'm a bit confused when it comes to amps in the $200-300 price range. I've been looking a lot into the Schiit Asgard 2 for example, some say the Asgard 2 is an excellent choice for the 650s while others say it's not. I don't understand, are their better options in this price range? And which presents the best value?

I know the Bottlehead crack is highly recommended, but I also want an amp that will translate well with both high impedence and low impedence headphones. I've heard that the Crack has a significant output impedence.

Dec 30, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #2,004 of 2,741
Ok I'm a bit confused when it comes to amps in the $200-300 price range. I've been looking a lot into the Schiit Asgard 2 for example, some say the Asgard 2 is an excellent choice for the 650s while others say it's not. I don't understand, are their better options in this price range? And which presents the best value?

I don't see why it wouldn't be a great choice for HD650? It ticks all the right boxes. 

Dec 30, 2014 at 2:35 PM Post #2,005 of 2,741
Opinion's will vary. My best friend brought over his 
Musical Fidelity M1HPAP ($800) headphone amp and we compared it to the Asgard 2 (source: the Gungnir Gen2 USB) and we both preferred the Asgard 2. In fact, he ended up selling his Musical Fidelity amp (still a very nice amp) and bought an Asgard 2 for himself and pocketed the extra cash. 

I like that the Asgard 2 is a true "Class A" design, has the High and Low output switch as this allows it to not only drive my HE-400's & HE-500's but on Low gain it sounds outstanding with my Westone W40's and B&W P7's. Let's not forget that it also makes for a very sweet sounding preamp. I'm using one right now as a preamp/headphone amp to a Parasound A23 speaker amp and it sounds terrific. There certainly are other great sounding amps on the market, no doubt, I simply haven't found one as nice as the A2, with its feature set at anywhere near its price.

Now, if you want the sound of tubes you will want another amp. 

Here's a very informative review of the A2 and the Bifrost: http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/headphone-amplifiers/headphone-amplifiers/schiit-asgard-2-headphone-amplifier-and-bifrost-uber-dac-review.html?utm_campaign=website&utm_source=sendgrid.com&utm_medium=email​

Dec 30, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #2,006 of 2,741
I don't see why it wouldn't be a great choice for HD650? It ticks all the right boxes. 

It's mostly just how much information there is to look through. I'm coming from a Cayin C5, which is a little known excellent portable amp. It has immense power and has an amazing sound signiture with a superb soundstage. Of course because it isn't too well known I'm unsure how well my 650s will pair with the Asgard 2.

Dec 30, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #2,007 of 2,741
It's mostly just how much information there is to look through. I'm coming from a Cayin C5, which is a little known excellent portable amp. It has immense power and has an amazing sound signiture with a superb soundstage. Of course because it isn't too well known I'm unsure how well my 650s will pair with the Asgard 2.

It's not really unknown, many many people are/were using that pair with excellent results, me included.

Dec 30, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #2,009 of 2,741

I know the Bottlehead crack is highly recommended, but I also want an amp that will translate well with both high impedence and low impedence headphones. I've heard that the Crack has a significant output impedence.

Hi Teddy,

I think I've mentioned that I've had success with my iFi iDSD Micro, but I don't think that we've spoken directly about the ASGARD 2.  If you recall from my posts, I LOVE my iDSD Micro.  It just totally astonishes me daily.  In order to beat it, it seems like you'd have to at least go to an Aurrender FLOW (~$1300) or a Chord HUGO (~$2500) in order to clearly surpass it.  But even in my posts, I mention that the iDSD Micro as great as it sounds is still not to the level of performance I get out of the ASGARD 2.  It just sounds amazing.  I've listened to far fewer desktop headphone amps than portable DAC/amps, so I won't ask you to believe that I haven't heard better, because that would be meaningless.  But I WILL tell you that to me, the ASGARD 2 has more than sufficient power, creates a great sense of "space" in orchestral and instrumental music, and eliminates any "Sennheiser veil" that  others seem to run into with other solutions.  Are there CLEARLY better/more powerful amps?  Sure.  Do they also exist in the ~$250.00 price range?  I'm not so sure about that one.  Is the Bottlehead Crack or other amp in the same price range "as good as, but different" than the ASGARD 2?  I sure hope so!  The more choices, the better.  But I CAN tell you that to me ears, the ASGARD 2 is an excellent compliment to the HD-650s.  It has been used EVERY DAY by either my wife or me since we bought it in September.  It has never missed a beat, and never acted up.

Dec 30, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #2,010 of 2,741
The Cayin C5 is a very nice portable amp, but I think you'll find the A2 to be more transparent and allow you to hear more detail than the C5 plus it should sound more dynamic.

It's been too long since I've heard the 650's (my son now has them) on the A2, but I have heard the 600's on the Asgard 2 recently and its a great combination. A lot depends on your source, not only your DAC but source files. Of course, even low cost DAC's are getting so good nowadays that you probably have that covered. Just be sure to use good quality source material and I think you'll be very pleased with your results. Keep in mind that Schiit Audio does allow you to return the amp if you're not happy with it. 

Like I said before, if you're looking for more of that "tube-like" sound (nothing wrong with that, I love tube amps) then the A2 probably won't be want you're looking for...though the A2 is not a cold sounding solid state amp at all.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back