NEW - Schiit Asgard 2
Dec 6, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #1,982 of 2,741
  I have the Asgard 2 on top of the Gungnir and though the Asgard 2 runs nice and very warm/kinda hot as a "Class A" amp should I've had zero issues. Well, I shouldn't say no issues as I'm spending too much money on music...

I'm sorry, I hadn't refreshed the page in a while and didn't see that others had already answered your question. 

Oh. my. God.
How does the Schiit Asgard 2 sound stacked with the Gungnir??
The amp doesn't bottleneck the DAC's performance does it?

Dec 19, 2014 at 2:00 PM Post #1,983 of 2,741
Which setting should I be using for the asgard 2 with the HE-500? I just got the asgard 2 and using it with the HE-500 I got last week and I wanted to make sure I using the right setting.

Thanks

Dec 19, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #1,984 of 2,741
  Which setting should I be using for the asgard 2 with the HE-500? I just got the asgard 2 and using it with the HE-500 I got last week and I wanted to make sure I using the right setting.

High gain should be fine.

Dec 19, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #1,986 of 2,741
  Oh. my. God.
How does the Schiit Asgard 2 sound stacked with the Gungnir??
The amp doesn't bottleneck the DAC's performance does it?

No, the Asgard 2 does not limit the Gungnir at all, in fact, it sounds better than another well-known companies $800 headphone amp that a buddy brought over. He now has his amp for sale and has already bought the A2. 

I use the High Gain setting on my A2 with the HE-500's. I'm sure that will work best for you unless your source device has a much higher than normal output voltage. Good luck!

Dec 19, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #1,988 of 2,741
That's sick!
I heard Gungnir works a lot better on balanced mode though

Yea I heard that too. That's why I might get a Gungnir to go with my Ragnarok. The quest for the Yggdrasil might be a long one.

Dec 19, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #1,989 of 2,741
Maybe the Gungnir would sound better from its XLR outs but at the moment I'm enjoying the Asgard 2 as HP amp and the preamp to a Parasound Halo A23 speaker amp in my office setup. The A2 makes for a sweet sounding single-source "Class A" preamp to your stereo speaker amp. If the Asgard 2 were priced higher than $250 I think it would be taken more seriously by some...which is a shame. My hats off to the guys at Schiit Audio for keeping the prices down while giving you more than your moneys worth. 

I haven't even bothered to run balanced out from my preamp to my stereo amp (Parasound A21) at home yet with good source material the background is dead silent. I've run single ended IC's (all short runs...nothing over 1.5 meters) for so long that I've never worried about running the gear from their XLR outputs. I simply try to put together the best system I can (within reason) and then try my best to forget all about the gear and just enjoy the music.

I've been at this for a very long time and I spent far too many years worrying if this would sound better than that...listening for differences, but if there were differences were they improvements?...or just differences? I had gotten to the point in which I only listened to my "best sounding" albums and CD's, the ones that really showed off the system. My priorities were out of whack. 

One day I found myself enjoying music more from my dead-stock car stereo than my (at the time...mid 90's) $10K home stereo and that is when I knew I had chased the rabbit down the hole and needed to get back to what was truly important. Enjoying music...buying more music.

Hope you all have a very Merry Christmas/Festivus/Holidays or whatever you celebrate! 

Take care. 

Dec 27, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #1,990 of 2,741
Hey everyone,

I'm picking up an Asgard 2 and was wondering. Will my ATH-AD700's and ATH-A900x's benefit from it? Currently I am running both headphones off a fiio e10. Should there be noticeable improvement when I plug into say an Asgard2/Modi2 stack?

thanks!

Dec 27, 2014 at 11:23 PM Post #1,991 of 2,741
  I'm picking up an Asgard 2 and was wondering. Will my ATH-AD700's and ATH-A900x's benefit from it? Currently I am running both headphones off a fiio e10. Should there be noticeable improvement when I plug into say an Asgard2/Modi2 stack?

Hard to say, but neither of them look hard to drive, so most probably not... YMMV.

Dec 27, 2014 at 11:38 PM Post #1,992 of 2,741
  Hey everyone,

thanks!

No the headphones wont benefit from it, But it will come in handy when you move on to headphones that do benefit from it.

Dec 28, 2014 at 10:17 PM Post #1,993 of 2,741
Subbed.
popcorn.gif

I got the Magni 2 Uber the day it came out and am really loving it.

The Asgard 2 will be my next amp.

Dec 29, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #1,994 of 2,741
any UK owners able to advise on suitable plugs for asgard 2? (guessing IEC C14; 13A 250V kettle lead)

the one that's boxed with the asgard 2 is loose (f'ing awful) and i don't really want to lay down money on anything unless i know it won't have the same issues with losing power, wobbling loose, audible pops in the headphones.

tried schiit customers services in the USA & they were clearly indifferent to the issue. UK distributor is currently trying to replace it, but i am wondering if there are technical issues with the small size of the socket on the amp & maybe varying styles of plugs that sit more securely into it - as in a lack of shoulder (or shorter one?) or some kind of tightening mechanism?

any help & pointers appreciated.

Dec 29, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #1,995 of 2,741
Though my power plug type is the one used state-side, I just grabbed an old power cord from a retired HP PC.  Worked a treat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back