[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Jul 4, 2013 at 8:33 AM Post #1,846 of 5,962
I'm wondering of any pads that can wrap around the lip of the X1, though the 3.5mm input is really close to the edge and will precent pads from doing that on the left side...

Jul 4, 2013 at 8:36 AM Post #1,847 of 5,962
Hmm if the K702 65th anniversary are just a K702 with new pads....

Can't you just buy a pair of K702 and then replace the pads with 65th Anniv?

This would then give you a K702 65th anniv edition for about £240... Although it would not look as nice.

Jul 4, 2013 at 8:39 AM Post #1,848 of 5,962
Hmm if the K702 65th anniversary are just a K701 with new pads....

Can't you just buy a pair of K701 and then replace the pads with 65th Anniv?

This would then give you a K702 65th anniv edition for about £240... Although it would not look as nice.

Yes, but you'd be missing the flat headband, and would have to contend with the bumped headband, which is not a very popular headband for comfort. Torturous fills in the description.

Also, when replacing the K701 with the Annie pads, you'd already be creeping close to the Annie's price (at least here in 'MERIKUH).

If you're fine with the AKG bumps of doom, then yes, buying the memory foam pads saves you money.

i also can't speak for the newer K701s, but the old K701 I owned was not the same as the Q701 I owned. It was considerably more analytical and dry/less bassy.

Jul 4, 2013 at 8:47 AM Post #1,849 of 5,962
Some dude was selling a K702 with Anniversary pads for shy of $200 last week or so. Man, what a deal.

I think I read the Anniversary pads were purchasable for sub-$50 now as well, but don't quote me on that.

Anyway, the AKG 700 series doesn't really belong in this thread when the Fidelio X1 simply reigns over them.

Jul 4, 2013 at 8:51 AM Post #1,850 of 5,962
Anyway, the AKG 700 series doesn't really belong in this thread when the Fidelio X1 simply reigns over them.

I don't agree with that statement. The X1 has a very agreeable sound signature, but the bass not as refined or textured as the AKGs. The mids are also not as good on the X1 in terms of richness, but the X1 doesn't have the glaring upper mids which can be a problem with the non-Annies, Treble is based on preference, as I find the AKG treble to be excellent and not as fatiguing as the X1 can be (though the X1's treble is pretty good most of the time). The X1's soundstage is fantastic, but not as wide as the AKGs. The X1 has better space between instruments, but the Annies have fuller tone and instruments.

In the end, I think the two are like apples to oranges, but at least comparable in performance. They trade blows quite well, and is more based on preference than actual performance.

Jul 4, 2013 at 9:44 AM Post #1,852 of 5,962
I don't agree with that statement. The X1 has a very agreeable sound signature, but the bass not as refined or textured as the AKGs. The mids are also not as good on the X1 in terms of richness, but the X1 doesn't have the glaring upper mids which can be a problem with the non-Annies, Treble is based on preference, as I find the AKG treble to be excellent and not as fatiguing as the X1 can be (though the X1's treble is pretty good most of the time). The X1's soundstage is fantastic, but not as wide as the AKGs. The X1 has better space between instruments, but the Annies have fuller tone and instruments.

In the end, I think the two are like apples to oranges, but at least comparable in performance. They trade blows quite well, and is more based on preference than actual performance.

I don't agree with that assessment. I believe the X1 are in a completely different league from the AKGs, with reasons for preferring the 700 series being driven by either a crippling distaste for the Fidelio sound or madness.

Jul 4, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #1,856 of 5,962
Jul 4, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #1,857 of 5,962
Yeah, that sounds like an over exaggeration, sorry. Lord knows how much I love both headphones, but the X1 is definitely not without it's shortcomings sonically. The Annie at least, has no real shortcomings. Nothing is problematic in it's sound, it's warm, musical, open sounding, and very comfy. It's a different flavor, but it doesn't offend in any shape or form, IMHO. The X1's bass can stand to sound less one-note-ish, and despite it's overall smoothness, the treble has a peak that can be fatiguing with certain content, especially if it's badly mastered.

Jul 4, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #1,858 of 5,962
Yeah, that sounds like an over exaggeration, sorry. Lord knows how much I love both headphones, but the X1 is definitely not without it's shortcomings sonically. The Annie at least, has no real shortcomings.

I think the converse, actually. I feel that between the X1 and Anniversary, the X1 is the headphone with fewer weaknesses (especially sonically).

I find the entirety of the AKG 700 series to be critically flawed; comparisons to our venerable X1 are unnecessary.

Jul 4, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #1,859 of 5,962
X1 or HD600 or AKG Q701?

I have an AKG 271S and I am looking for upgrade (also 271 are not comfortable due the grip pressure). I usually listen with 6db+ on bass side with AKGs ... and that is quite OK, if still a bit dry sounding in midrange. I would like to try warmer sounding headphone, and was thinking about X1 or maybe HD600 or maybe even Q701. I am a bit worried that (according to graphs) X1 will be to warm/bass heavy. I have fiio E07/E09k on order.
I listen to jazz, dub, reggae, classical, folk, pop (in that order) music, and will mainly need headphones when working (so I don't need analytical headphones, but rather relaxed and comfortable) ... I also have a speaker system which can cover classical and jazz for more serious listening.
I am from Europe and X1 has really good price ... X1=260$, HD600=360$ (320 if I wait for good deal), Q701=340$ ... so quite a big price difference. I am not to picky, and I also don't mind a little EQ-ing ... it is easy done via computer.

Jul 4, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #1,860 of 5,962
The X1. Not The best pairing with the high output impedance of the E9k though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back