[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Jul 4, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #1,816 of 5,962
Quote:
hd600's vocals are way more crispy and watery smooth than x1 sadly. x1 does not even come close to the intimacy that hd600 brings, at least vocal--BEAR IN MIND I GIVE 2 CARE ABOUT detailed comparions thus i have NOT done any DELIBERATE comparison. I was sad when you post this and as I took them out of the box and was afraid I would find no difference. Well, there is, and it is very very obvious that x1 was not a knockoff of any headphone, and the hd600 has a sound of its own. 

come to think of it, I guess that's why people call the senns mids wonder. I didn't understand that idea because I mostly listened to akgs. akgs are mids monsters.

also, since you mentioned hd600, i stood by and still stand by the obvious truth that--" YOU AIN'T SEEN HOW CLASSICAL MUSIC CAN SOUND FROM HEADPHONES TILL YOU HEARD HD600"

Thanks that was pretty detailed. I listen to a lot of trap, hip-hop, and RnB so I think I may enjoy the X1 more for the bass. 

Jul 4, 2013 at 2:02 AM Post #1,817 of 5,962
Quote:

I didn't notice its weight all that much after 3 hours of continuous use, though I did find myself wiggling them around a bit every now and then, mainly due to me wearing glasses. All in all still quite comfortable.

I do however concur with you regarding your comparison of them to the HD600. Now that is a special headphone regardless of price, and I feel lucky to have gotten them new for $250 a year and a half ago.

omg jelly! i got mine for 310ish.

Jul 4, 2013 at 3:03 AM Post #1,818 of 5,962
How do the HD600's compare with the X1's and Annies, strictly bass wise? I'm assuming they would be more similar to the Annies
tongue.gif

Jul 4, 2013 at 3:26 AM Post #1,819 of 5,962
Judging how the 650 is more akin to the Annie bass-wise (and tonality too), I would think the HD600 is more akin to the Q701/standard K702.

Jul 4, 2013 at 3:40 AM Post #1,820 of 5,962
Come on guys, let's move on. So the pads (for now at least) aren't offered by Philips for individual sale. I think the question that needs to be asked to Philips is if we can contact them after the warranty expires, even if it costs us to replace the pads.

So far the direct responses have been from what seem to be unknowledgeable Philips reps.

Jul 4, 2013 at 3:41 AM Post #1,821 of 5,962
Quote:
Come on guys, let's move on. So the pads (for now at least) aren't offered by Philips for individual sale. I think the question that needs to be asked to Philips is if we can contact them after the warranty expires, even if it costs us to replace the pads.

So far the direct responses have been from what seem to be unknowledgeable Philips reps.

Yes I agree, this is what I want to know about. Or the other thing would be if anyone has some spare AKG or Beyer pads and if they were pretty much identical and could be modded to fit, then at least that would be something.

Jul 4, 2013 at 3:43 AM Post #1,822 of 5,962
It's like when AKG reps at an audio show had no idea the K712 Pro existed.

I would think people working for a company related to a specific area of sales/technology would know What they were selling.

But I guess that's just me. I would hire people who are at least somewhat invested in what they're company offers.

Jul 4, 2013 at 3:56 AM Post #1,823 of 5,962
Lets be honest, this is headfi. A year from now you'll have sold these off for the 'X2'. Then 3 years from now for the next best thing.

Sure, some people love to collect and will give them to their less-than-impressed grandchildren 40 years from now.

Probably the only reason this might matter is if you spent the past 3 years saving for the headphone and plan on it being your only one for the next 5.

Jul 4, 2013 at 3:59 AM Post #1,824 of 5,962
Lets be honest, this is headfi. A year from now you'll have sold these off for the 'X2'. .

But... they sold off this part of their business to Funai, so I doubt there will be an X2. :frowning2:

Philips went out with a bang with the X1... but damn, if they didn't screw up the pad assembly.

Jul 4, 2013 at 4:00 AM Post #1,825 of 5,962
But... they sold off this part of their business to Funai,so I doubt there will be an X2. :frowning2:

That's true, but you never know. If they see potential profit, it'll happen.

Jul 4, 2013 at 4:11 AM Post #1,826 of 5,962
Quote:
It's like when AKG reps at an audio show had no idea the K712 Pro existed.

I would think people working for a company related to a specific area of sales/technology would know What they were selling.

But I guess that's just me. I would hire people who are at least somewhat invested in what they're company offers.

sadly they don't. I call benq about my monitor, they know next to nothing, what in the world. And they can't find nobody to explain stuff to me.

Jul 4, 2013 at 4:15 AM Post #1,829 of 5,962
Quote:
Lets be honest, this is headfi. A year from now you'll have sold these off for the 'X2'. Then 3 years from now for the next best thing.

Sure, some people love to collect and will give them to their less-than-impressed grandchildren 40 years from now.

Probably the only reason this might matter is if you spent the past 3 years saving for the headphone and plan on it being your only one for the next 5.

Yes you do have a point here, if I did decide to keep them though it is the principle of it, I think it is really out of order selling a pair of mid/high end headphones which they know are going to wear out and you will have to buy a new pair from them, it is called planned obsolescence and is a pretty shady tactic used by some companies.

Jul 4, 2013 at 4:22 AM Post #1,830 of 5,962
It's like, I wish someone made some plastic ring that connects to the X1's protruding screw thingies. We could then just stick the pads to the plastic ring.

What sucks is that we don't know how washable the pads are because of the memory foam. If it were like Beyer velours, a simple soap or mild detergent, and warm water would keep the pads fresh for much longer.

As it stands, beyer velours are much more open than the X1's pads, and liable to ruin the sound quality by reducing the bass, emphasizing treble, and being an all out nightmare.

Maybe the more isolating Beyer DT770 velours (they even sell black ones) would be a better fit, but I think they may ADD bass, and muddy up the X1's sound.

Sigh... worst case scenario, would have to resort to some pleather/leather pad as replacements.

Pads are absolutely essential to a headphone's sound, and no aftermarket pad will keep the same exact sound as the stock pads, which is what I don't want to happen. There is a fine balance in the X1's curve, and anything hampering it will ruin the sound for me. reducing the bass in particular will kill what makes the X1 stand out from other headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back