[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Jul 3, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #1,801 of 5,962
Quote:

Fascinating...after having tried out planars for a few weeks, the X1 feels like a featherweight. Actually lighter on my head than some other full sized cans I've used.

Maybe the difference in weight perception is based on "compatibility" between the auto-adjusting band and head shape/size.

no, like i said, hours of usage brings up the problem. the size is another issue totally not related to the weight. 

Jul 3, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #1,802 of 5,962
Quote:
dude my lp1 requires burn in every time I haven't listened to them for a long time to sound mellow and detailed.

that';s the least i can say backing off the burn in myth.

I doubt that. It is just you re-adjusting to the sound of them after having been used to another headphone. This is very common, in fact it happens with me for any headphone. It sometimes takes 10-15 minutes to get used to the "new" sound.

Jul 3, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #1,803 of 5,962
Quote:

Just don't be stupid, Yes what you said does sound rude, I am NOT really that concerned, this is a thread for discussing the headphones, this is an issue and I was discussing it. Stop making idiotic comments as if you are the big man or something and I am being silly. I am discussing the headphones in the headphone thread.

Dude, chill. Your acting like a 12 year old. Were adults here, so just chill out. No need to be rude. For some reason i sense that your a fanboy or something or your against philips or not.

Jul 3, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #1,805 of 5,962
Quote:
I personally feel that the x1 could use less weight,  this is coming from owning a good dozen full sized cans, 

if you have a pair of k550 or adx00, you know what I am talking about

if you use headphone in long time sessions, it will be a problem.

Quote:

Fascinating...after having tried out planars for a few weeks, the X1 feels like a featherweight. Actually lighter on my head than some other full sized cans I've used.

Maybe the difference in weight perception is based on "compatibility" between the auto-adjusting band and head shape/size.

I agree. I don't think the X1's are heavy.

After re-buying the K702 Anniversaries, the Annies felt super lightweight and loose feeling on the head in comparision to the X1's. But it's not that the X1's are heavy, they just have a more clampy feeling to them (especially for people with bigger heads).

I still find them super comfortable and actually prefer the feeling of the X1's on my head than the AKG's.

Jul 3, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #1,806 of 5,962
Quote:
I plan on buying this, anyone can give me some details\experiences\recommendations about them?

If you like any rock, rap/hip hop, techno/trance/EDM, that kind of thing, these babies will put a smile on your face.

Jul 3, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #1,807 of 5,962
Dude, chill. Your acting like a 12 year old. Were adults here, so just chill out. No need to be rude. For some reason i sense that your a fanboy or something or your against philips or not.

Lol! Thinks are starting to get personal...

Anyway, I plan on getting these also. I'd just like to know how fast are the drivers, relative to other open cans, such as:
DT880
HD598
AD900x
MDR MA900
HE400
etc...

Speed and clarity are my biggest concerns.

Jul 3, 2013 at 11:36 PM Post #1,808 of 5,962
Quote:
I had a chat with Philips's customer support as well. 

The bottom line was "Sorry for the inconvenience," but I got some contact info for the parts distributor.  We could probably pester them about spare pads...

I think the pads should last a while, and I'm not expecting them to suddenly disintegrate after 2.5 - 3 years.  Regardless, there should be replacements though, so for the purpose of this chat I tried to display and express a bit more concern than I normally do.

[size=9.0pt]Me:  Hi, I have a question.  What are owners of the Fidelio X1 headphone supposed to after the velour pads wear out after a couple years?  All other similar headphones from other manufacturers (Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic, AKG, etc) offer spare pads for when this happens, so that the owners can keep using their expensive headphones.  What are owners of the X1 supposed to do? [/size]

[size=9.0pt]Thanks[/size]

[size=9.0pt]Philips Customer Support:  Thank you for contacting Philips. Please give me a moment to review your question.[/size]

[size=9.0pt]I checked with our parts distributor to see if they offer replacement ear pads. Unfortunately our parts distributor does not offer any parts for that model. I do apologize for the inconvenience.[/size]

[size=9.0pt]Me:  [/size][size=9.0pt]Ok.  So what should owners do when the ear pads break down?[/size]

[size=9.0pt]Philips Customer Support:[/size][size=9.0pt] They should contact us back so that we can check their warranties and proceed from there.[/size]

[size=9.0pt]Me:  [/size][size=9.0pt]Is this a 1 year warranty?  What if the headphone is (more than likely) out of warranty at that time?[/size]

[size=9.0pt]Philips Customer Support:[/size][size=9.0pt] Unfortunately, there wouldn't be any more options that we could offer under the warranty. I do apologize for the inconvenience. The customer could try checking local electronics retailers for comparable ear pads that could substitute.[/size]

[size=9.0pt]Me:  [/size][size=9.0pt]Are there any plans from the parts distributor to offer separately available ear pads?  Because as it stands right now, owners of the Fidelio X1 will no longer be able to use their $300 headphones after a couple years when  the pads deteriorate.  This is a serious flaw in the Fidelio X1.  And owners of the X1 will have no options through Philips when the ear pads inevitably break down, correct?  Does Philips acknowledge that this is a problem, and are they any plans to fix it?[/size]

[size=9.0pt]Philips Customer Support:[/size][size=9.0pt] I am not sure but I will forward your concern.[/size]

[size=9.0pt]Me:  [/size][size=9.0pt]Thank you.  I'm speaking for many other Fidelio X1 owners with the exact same concern.  Would it be possible to contact somebody in from the spare parts distributor to inquire about the possibility of spare pads?  Obviously they are being made in the process of building the headphone, so they only need to produce extras separately and sell them as spare/replacements (as all other high-end headphone manufacturers do) and that will fix the problem and allow owners to continue using their headphones after a couple of years have passed.[/size]

[size=9.0pt]Philips Customer Support:[/size][size=9.0pt] If course. Please contact our parts department at (866) 779-3946 or online at www.encompassparts.com/philipsconsumer .[/size]

[size=9.0pt]Me:  [/size][size=9.0pt]Which entry off of the contact page would be best to start with?  https://www.encompassparts.com/staticpages/Contact_Us[/size]

[size=9.0pt]Philips Customer Support:[/size][size=9.0pt] Try clicking that red box that says Please Submit New Ticket.[/size]

[size=9.0pt]Me:  [/size][size=9.0pt]OK[/size]

[size=9.0pt]Philips Customer Support:[/size][size=9.0pt] Is there anything else I can assist you with today?[/size]

[size=9.0pt]Me:  [/size][size=9.0pt]Not at the moment - I will look into the resources you just gave in the meantime.  Thank you for helping out with this.  I appreciate it![/size]

[size=9.0pt]Philips Customer Support:[/size][size=9.0pt] It has been a pleasure assisting you today. Thank you for contacting Philips. Hope you have a great day.[/size]

Beautiful correspondence there Chicolom! Even though I'm not part of the hive yet, you do the hive service!
beerchug.gif

Jul 3, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #1,809 of 5,962
Jul 4, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #1,810 of 5,962
With a good setup like the odac and project sunrise mkii, how would the X1 fair against something like the hd600 for lively genres as well as acoustic stuff?

Jul 4, 2013 at 12:32 AM Post #1,811 of 5,962
Quote:
With a good setup like the odac and project sunrise mkii, how would the X1 fair against something like the hd600 for lively genres as well as acoustic stuff?

hd600's vocals are way more crispy and watery smooth than x1 sadly. x1 does not even come close to the intimacy that hd600 brings, at least vocal--BEAR IN MIND I GIVE 2 CARE ABOUT detailed comparions thus i have NOT done any DELIBERATE comparison. I was sad when you post this and as I took them out of the box and was afraid I would find no difference. Well, there is, and it is very very obvious that x1 was not a knockoff of any headphone, and the hd600 has a sound of its own. 

come to think of it, I guess that's why people call the senns mids wonder. I didn't understand that idea because I mostly listened to akgs. akgs are mids monsters.

also, since you mentioned hd600, i stood by and still stand by the obvious truth that--" YOU AIN'T SEEN HOW CLASSICAL MUSIC CAN SOUND FROM HEADPHONES TILL YOU HEARD HD600"

Jul 4, 2013 at 1:07 AM Post #1,812 of 5,962
Excuse me? Where was that?

Sonicelectronics had it up for 245 with free shipping. If you ordered on your cellphone with the 10%off coupon then you got it for 225 shipped. They sold out.

Jul 4, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #1,813 of 5,962
Quote:
no, like i said, hours of usage brings up the problem. the size is another issue totally not related to the weight. 

I didn't notice its weight all that much after 3 hours of continuous use, though I did find myself wiggling them around a bit every now and then, mainly due to me wearing glasses. All in all still quite comfortable.

I do however concur with you regarding your comparison of them to the HD600. Now that is a special headphone regardless of price, and I feel lucky to have gotten them new for $250 a year and a half ago.

Jul 4, 2013 at 1:34 AM Post #1,814 of 5,962
Comfort is usually top priority for me. It takes precedence over sound quality the overwhelming majority of the time, save for a few situations (LCD2).

That being said, the X1 is one of the absolute most comfortable (if not THE most) comfortable full sized headphone I have ever owned. The weight, while not as featherweight as the K702 Annies, doesn't feel as heavy as the HE-400, and is very well distributed across the amazing headband padding. Suspension style headbands will forever be my fave type of headband because of that.

The X1's weight gives it a feel of sturdiness, and is an absolute non-issue. I consider it to be medium weight, really. Not heavy, but not the lightest.

Jul 4, 2013 at 1:42 AM Post #1,815 of 5,962
Quote:
For us in Europe the x1s are currently 187€ on Amazon.de
http://www.amazon.de/Philips-HiFi-Stereokopfh%C3%B6rer-hochwertigem-Neodym-Treiber-schwarz-braun-silber/dp/B008ZW2T7M/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ACUI6XIFHPGYO

Final price from amazon.de (shipping to Finland):

Bestellungsübersicht

Artikel: EUR 187,18
Verpackung & Versand: EUR 6,29

Gesamtbetrag: EUR 193,47

Amazon.it:

Riepilogo ordine

Articoli: EUR 194,84
Costi di spedizione: EUR 13,54

Totale ordine: EUR 208,38

Got one pair from .de. Impressions and K702 anniversary/standard pad comparisons coming soon. I think I have it all now. No more headphones for me :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back