[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Jul 4, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #1,861 of 5,962
Forget the Q701.

The HD 600 will have strong overall performance with an excellent midrange and great genre versatility.

The X1 has tipped up bass and slightly more treble emphasis, so they sound less hi-fi and more fun.

For your genres I'd probably go with the HD 600.

Your post belongs more in the introductions and recommendations forum though.

Jul 4, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #1,862 of 5,962
Hmmm, now I'm wondering if I should give the Anniversary edition a try...something to think about if the X1 doesn't work out for me.
No shortage of alternatives to think about around here.

If I had not swapped out the stock cable, I'm fairly certain I would have sent them back already. Like others have stated it's not a night and day difference by any means, but a noticeably positive change. The non-replaceable pads are a bit of bummer, and I've experienced firsthand how worn out pads weaken performance (HD650 getting new pads tomorrow). Hopefully by the time that happens I'd be looking for something new/different anyway.

Jul 4, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #1,863 of 5,962
Hmmm, now I'm wondering if I should give the Anniversary edition a try...something to think about if the X1 doesn't work out for me.
No shortage of alternatives to think about around here.

If I had not swapped out the stock cable, I'm fairly certain I would have sent them back already. Like others have stated it's not a night and day difference by any means, but a noticeably positive change. The non-replaceable pads are a bit of bummer, and I've experienced firsthand how worn out pads weaken performance (HD650 getting new pads tomorrow). Hopefully by the time that happens I'd be looking for something new/different anyway.
What kind of changes are you looking for?

The Anniversary has the same glaring flaws present on the rest of the 700 series. It was passable in the now-$200 Q701 and K702, but not quite as forgivable on a $350 product.

Jul 4, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #1,864 of 5,962
We hear completely differently. The Annie has no such shortcomings as the standard K70x. But whatever. The X1 is more flawed than the Annie by a stretch.

Jul 4, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #1,865 of 5,962
We hear completely differently. The Annie has no such shortcomings as the standard K70x. But whatever. The X1 is more flawed than the Annie by a stretch.

I go from general agreement in the first sentence of that post to complete disagreement by the end.

One look at the CSDs tells the whole story about why the 700 series is critically flawed -- the nasty 2.2KHz spike and the midrange shout. The "darker" frequency response in the Anniversary doesn't ameliorate the relative inadequacy of the aged driver, either, nevermind that the 2.2KHz emphasis still exists. The X1 is astonishingly free of driver ringing in comparison, and its frequency response doesn't exhibit that peakiness that gives the 700 series its disagreeable plasticity in the midrange.

Jul 4, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #1,868 of 5,962
Quote:
Forget the Q701.

The HD 600 will have strong overall performance with an excellent midrange and great genre versatility.

The X1 has tipped up bass and slightly more treble emphasis, so they sound less hi-fi and more fun.

For your genres I'd probably go with the HD 600.

Your post belongs more in the introductions and recommendations forum though.

Thanks ... I have moved my question.
But ... I generally like bass, ... it sucks that I cant try none of them. I would go for HD600, but the price difference is quite big.

Quote:
The X1. Not The best pairing with the high output impedance of the E9k though.

To the point this being problem? What about E07k?

Jul 4, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #1,869 of 5,962
Code:
The X1 isn't hard to drive, so I don't see the E07k being a problem, though I prefer having the Headroom of a bigger, beefier amp.

Jul 4, 2013 at 12:15 PM Post #1,870 of 5,962
Quote:
Not exactly -- CSDs are pretty objective.

wink.gif

It don't change that some can prefer a DT-880 , K70X , H6X0 etc to a X1 , peraphs for you it's the best mid fi headphone , but you are bit exgerating IMO
redface.gif

Jul 4, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #1,872 of 5,962
I am suprised that these don't have that much bass to my ears..... the HD650 sounded bassier?

The comfort is probably the best I have ever used... They sound good overall... Not sure if I will keep them yet

Jul 4, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #1,873 of 5,962
I think it's because the HD650 has a really dark tilt, so for you it may be more bassy. The X1's linear slop towards the treble where it peaks at 10khz keeps it sounding more neutral. But man, I dunno how anyone can think the HD650 is more bassy. The X1 packs a wallop with the right music. The 650 is bassy, indeed, but because the mids are on par with the bass, it attenuates the impact in comparison to the X1.

I love the 650. I think I may want it more as a clear alternative to the X1 than the Annie. Not because I think it's better, but because I prefer it's closer, more intimate mids. The X1 has me covered on open soundstage headphones. It pales in comparison to the 650 in mids though.

Jul 4, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #1,874 of 5,962
It don't change that some can prefer a DT-880 , K70X , H6X0 etc to a X1 , peraphs for you it's the best mid fi headphone , but you are bit exgerating IMO :xf_eek:

I love the Fidelio X1, but I would readily acknowledge the faults that they actually possess.

I think we can all agree that you need to spend significantly more money (frankly, money very few people actually have) to definitively outdo this headphone. Its unoffensiveness in both signature and technical merits is quite remarkable.

He listens to just graphs, it seems.
No, I use objective graphs to back up subjective impressions rather than writing claims of flaws that have no basis beyond personal opinion.

Jul 4, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #1,875 of 5,962
It all sounds like personal opinion to me.

I don't sound like I'm fanboying over the X1, because I'm being quite realistic on it's sound. I vastly prefer it to everything else with it's sound signature, but it is clearly faulty. I find no such faults on the Annie, despite it not having the same kind of favorable sound signature to the X1. I attack headphones realistically. If there is a fault, I will quickly mention so.

But hey, YMMV. You can spew forth all the measurement lingo you want, but you're clearly not accounting for personal taste, and listener impressions. Plenty of people would not appreciate the emphasized and loose sounding bass on the X1, nor it's 10khz peak which CAN stick out at the wrong times. The Annie has not been graphed yet (I assume the K712 Pro will be though), but I'll bet anything that they are gonna look incredibly linear themselves with a gentler, less fatiguing top end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back