[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Jul 4, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #1,877 of 5,962
Quote:
It all sounds like personal opinion to me.

I don't sound like I'm fanboying over the X1, because I'm being quite realistic on it's sound. I vastly prefer it to everything else with it's sound signature, but it is clearly faulty. I find no such faults on the Annie, despite it not having the same kind of favorable sound signature to the X1. I attack headphones realistically. If there is a fault, I will quickly mention so.

But hey, YMMV. You can spew forth all the measurement lingo you want, but you're clearly not accounting for personal taste, and listener impressions. Plenty of people would not appreciate the emphasized and loose sounding bass on the X1, nor it's 10khz peak which CAN stick out at the wrong times. The Annie has not been graphed yet (I assume the K712 Pro will be though), but I'll bet anything that they are gonna look incredibly linear themselves with a gentler, less fatiguing top end.

If I find the X1 a bit lacking in bass should I just skip the K702 65th?

Jul 4, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #1,878 of 5,962
Absolutely. The Annie has less bass than the X1.

You, my dear friend, are just a basshead if you think the X1 is lacking in bass.

I might absolutely love the X1, but I won't be saying they're god's gift to headphones. I'd peg their SQ to be around $250-300, which is where they are more than likely to settle at. To compete with the Mid-fi Beyers, AKGs, and Senns.

Jul 4, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #1,880 of 5,962
You have to let yourself adjust. Once you do, you'll find the Denon to sound sloppy and boomy if you switch back.

Also, like I basically mentioned earlier, comparing an open headphone's bass with a closed headphone's bass... that's your first mistake. The closest thing in bass to a closed headphone I've heard personally is the 990 Pro, which suffers from piercing treble.

Jul 4, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #1,881 of 5,962
So you are an objective, subjectivist ?

Perhaps. I like the X1 because it sounds good, and measuring well is just a cherry on top. Accomplishing both is a problem for many mid-fi headphones.
I am suprised that these don't have that much bass to my ears..... the HD650 sounded bassier?

The comfort is probably the best I have ever used... They sound good overall... Not sure if I will keep them yet

Interesting first impressions, but not entirely surprising either. Might be interesting to see if you impressions change after an hour or two, with a deeper listen to the X1 and then reverting back to the HD 650.

It all sounds like personal opinion to me.

I find no such faults on the Annie, despite it not having the same kind of favorable sound signature to the X1. I attack headphones realistically. If there is a fault, I will quickly mention so.

But hey, YMMV. You can spew forth all the measurement lingo you want, but you're clearly not accounting for personal taste, and listener impressions. Plenty of people would not appreciate the emphasized and loose sounding bass on the X1, nor it's 10khz peak which CAN stick out at the wrong times. The Annie has not been graphed yet.

In order to appreciate an opinion you have to understand the point of reference an individual is coming from. I know you love the D7000, LCD-2 and K702-Anniversary which make it easy for me to put your impressions into perspective since I've listened to them quite extensively. I doubt you can make any such statement or empathy about my listening history or the products I use as a reference.

But it's exceedingly hard to not recognize the faults of the AKG 700 series (including the Anniversary). The fact of the matter is that a 9-10KHz peak is supposed to exist in all headphones, and indeed individuals might respond to it differently depending on implementation. I am quite disappointed that AKG has yet to resolve the 2.2KHz peak or the shouty midrange after all these years. The driver is showing its age and the X1's is clearly something special in comparison.

Jul 4, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #1,882 of 5,962
The fact of the matter is that a 9-10KHz peak is supposed to exist in all headphones

What is this, I don't even...

A fact... from? What? You lost me right here. The 558 among others have no such peak, and it sounds fantastic to me. But ok, you can keep your fact. Even the LCD3 has the opposite of a peak at those frequencies...

Also, I love ALL manner of headphones, not just those you mentioned. Those happen to be the most recent ones (aside from the D7000). From the HD650, to the DT990. Two VERY different sounding headphones.

Jul 4, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #1,883 of 5,962
I don't have the HD650 anymore, these probably do have a bit more bass and go a bit deeper than the HD650 actually, I think the HD650 had a bit more bass impact, hard to remember. I like the fact that these do not sound slooooow like the HD650 did, everything on the HD650 sounded like it was playing at 0.8x speed.

Jul 4, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #1,884 of 5,962
What is this, I don't even...

A fact... from? What? You lost me right here. The 558 among others have no such peak, and it sounds fantastic to me. But ok, you can keep your fact. Even the LCD3 has the opposite of a peak at those frequencies...

Also, I love ALL manner of headphones, not just those you mentioned. Those happen to be the most recent ones (aside from the D7000). From the HD650, to the DT990. Two VERY different sounding headphones.

Response curves of ear canal and pinna after early human development.

Sure, I've had extensive experience with those headphones as well and it's fairly easy to find your opinions on them. Not really so easy to say that for my headphones. :wink:

Jul 4, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #1,885 of 5,962
I think these sound better than the Denon D600 anyway.... D600 has better bass then these, but everything else is better on the X1... I prefer the sound of the Momentums but the soundstage and comfort on them is a bit rubbish.

When I first put these on I didn't like them much but after a few hours use / burn in, they do sound pretty good, the bass is a bit boomy but still sounds nice, the mids are a bit recessed but just about far enough forward to not sound excessively quiet, the treble is a bit "gritty" sounding as a review said, but still it does sound good. The soundstage and imaging actually sound really good to me and they sound very open. I expect these will be really good for games like CS:GO where positioning is important... The comfort is also extremely good.... at the price they are good headphones.... not perfect but what headphones are at <£200

Jul 4, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #1,887 of 5,962
Quote:
You prefer the momentum!? That's not good! I'm not a fan of the momentum. D600 is better than the momentum to me.

No I said I prefer the sound quality of the momentums, but the soundstage and small cups mean that they are no good... because they sound so small. Both the D600 and the X1 completely destroy the Momentums for soundstage and comfort. The X1 soundstage is better than the D600.

Jul 4, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #1,888 of 5,962
Response curves of ear canal and pinna after early human development.

Sure, I've had extensive experience with those headphones as well and it's fairly easy to find your opinions on them. Not really so easy to say that for my headphones. :wink:

4k Hz is actually the most sensitive frequency overall for humans. It is where the vast amount of sensitivity discomfort originates.

Jul 4, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #1,889 of 5,962
No I said I prefer the sound quality of the momentums, but the soundstage and small cups mean that they are no good... because they sound so small. Both the D600 and the X1 completely destroy the Momentums for soundstage and comfort. The X1 soundstage is better than the D600.

Still not good. Do you mean sound signature?

Jul 4, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #1,890 of 5,962
Quote:
Still not good. Do you mean sound signature?

Well I think the momentums are good in that the bass is pretty nice, the mids are good and so is the treble, the balance of all 3 sounds good. The problem with the momentums is the presentation of it, for example there is hardly any soundstage and it just sounds like a little speaker blasting sound into your ear... With the X1 the actual bass, mids and treble quality is probably not as good, but the overall presentation is much better than the momentums, it sounds like you are surrounded by sound. If I had to choose between momentums and these, I would have the X1.... But if sennheiser released a "momentum bumper edition" which was 50% bigger, I would rather have that. I think the balance of bass mids and treble on the X1 is actually really good as well... But the momentum sounds slightly more realistic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back