[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Oct 14, 2012 at 8:18 AM Post #318 of 5,962
Are the ears completely free or do the drivers touch it? I have the dt770 and my ears touch the driver cover so I'm looking for something deeper.

Oct 14, 2012 at 11:59 AM Post #320 of 5,962
Quote:
Are the ears completely free or do the drivers touch it? I have the dt770 and my ears touch the driver cover so I'm looking for something deeper.

Since the drivers are angled there is lots of free space. I measured the depth without pressure: 3 cm in back, 1.8 cm in front. My ear is only less than 2 cm out in the back, so I believe you need "funny" ears to get anywhere near touching it.

Then again on my X1 the driver covering fabric is pretty loose and slightly touches my ear. It also rattles against my ear on anything bass heavy.

Oct 14, 2012 at 12:07 PM Post #321 of 5,962
Can anyone who also has (or has heard) the L1 please do a semi-formal comparison on the sound of both the L1 and X1?

I'd be interested to know if the X1 is more or less an open version of the L1.

Oct 14, 2012 at 12:12 PM Post #322 of 5,962
Quote:
I'd be interested to know if the X1 is more or less an open version of the L1.

Yes it is. The mids are a little smoother , But bass and highs are more pronounced. So while the L1 is more of a bass-mids type with rolled off highs, the X1 is more v-shaped.

However, everything else is similar. The presentation, bass impact, soundstage (X1 is the same but larger), etc.

Oct 14, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #323 of 5,962
Thank you very much. You have cleared up a lot of questions. 

I find a slight trace of honk in the L1 midrange which sounds like it would be smoothed out on the X1. But the bass/treble V shape scares me off.

Oct 14, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #325 of 5,962
These are open back right?
If so, do they leak more than the SR80i?
I'm contemplating between this, the M50's LE and the k701/k550
I use headphones for mixing and listening to jazz, classical, dub, dubstep, and acoustic (maybe a little techno).

Oct 14, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #326 of 5,962
Quote:
These are open back right?
If so, do they leak more than the SR80i?
I'm contemplating between this, the M50's LE and the k701/k550
I use headphones for mixing and listening to jazz, classical, dub, dubstep, and acoustic (maybe a little techno).

Yes, they are open, and by the way that is a pretty dissimilar set of headphones you're considering, both in price and probably sound. What's the logic behind that selection?

I gather based on others' comments here that the X1's are bassy, and so probably not ideal for mixing.

Oct 14, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #327 of 5,962
I don't understand what you're insinuating.
I'm perfectly fine with mixing with open back especially since I take classes on music technology in school (meaning that I must be able to hear my teacher speak while my headphones are playing music).
If you're talking about the selection of headphones, they all have a good clarity which is the biggest factor.
I'm just contemplating whether I should sacrifice a larger soundstage (the X1 and the k701) to get closed backs.

Oct 14, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #328 of 5,962
Quote:
I don't understand what you're insinuating.
I'm perfectly fine with mixing with open back especially since I take classes on music technology in school (meaning that I must be able to hear my teacher speak while my headphones are playing music).
If you're talking about the selection of headphones, they all have a good clarity which is the biggest factor.
I'm just contemplating whether I should sacrifice a larger soundstage (the X1 and the k701) to get closed backs.

I just mean that the headphones you are considering range in price from ~$100 to ~$300-400, and are known for having different types of sound signatures. I was just wondering why you were considering such a varying selection.

Get closed backs if you require isolation. If you need to hear stuff outside of you in class as you described though, open backs.

Oct 14, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #329 of 5,962
Oh. I just remember someone on the forums comparing the M50's to some other top line phones.
I don't really require isolation since I'm thinking of using it for strictly home use and mixing.

Oct 14, 2012 at 7:09 PM Post #330 of 5,962
Quote:
Comparisions with the Sennheiser hd650?
Better mids than this or worse?

For me with the Silver Dragon Cables the X1 has a much more open mid range sound than the HD650 with Stefan Art Equinox cables. Clarity and detail in abundance.  With stock cables the Midrange is cleared but recessed, However is still more open than the HD650. The 650's somehow seem to smear the music in the midband hence the veil that people refer to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back