[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Oct 10, 2012 at 10:15 AM Post #286 of 5,962
Quote:
When you say tight, you mean it won't take over 45cm?

Yep for my head X1's need the absolute maximum stretching, my ears are just inside the cups. I don't see any way to bend or strech. Please bear in mind that there is already considerable downforce pressure from the elastic band (yes it's nothing more elegant) at this position. So to be actually comfortable, I'd guess ones ear-to-ear measurement would have to be something like 40 cm at most.

I guess small chinese people designed this.

edit: .. especially considering none of the headphones in my profile had problems with fit.

Oct 10, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #288 of 5,962
Just checking back in after some weeks with the X1. While being a whole different category of a headphone than my W3000ANV i have to say that there are quite some songs that sound more involving and fun on the X1 than the W3000ANV. Technical abilities are worlds apart but fun factor is definately not.

Oct 11, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #289 of 5,962
Quote:

Yep for my head X1's need the absolute maximum stretching, my ears are just inside the cups. I don't see any way to bend or strech. Please bear in mind that there is already considerable downforce pressure from the elastic band (yes it's nothing more elegant) at this position. So to be actually comfortable, I'd guess ones ear-to-ear measurement would have to be something like 40 cm at most.

I guess small chinese people designed this.

edit: .. especially considering none of the headphones in my profile had problems with fit.

How does one measure ear-to-ear?

Am I correct in judging the X1 to be a fairly direct competitor to the HE-400 where price/performance is concerned?

Oct 11, 2012 at 12:18 AM Post #290 of 5,962
My assumption is to get a measuring tape, hold the end right under one ear lobe, extend the tape over your head (making sure its flat against your head) and end measure at the bottom of the other ear lobe. I got just over 46cm that way. He said 45cm is stretching the X! To its limits, so I'd say less than 44cm would probably be where you'd want your head to be size wise.

Oct 11, 2012 at 1:03 AM Post #291 of 5,962
Eh, I'm at 40-42. I should be fine.
tongue.gif

Oct 11, 2012 at 4:20 AM Post #292 of 5,962
I'm so excited! I just got the X1 in Singapore for sgd$329.
But the strange thing is ... M1 and L1 are priced at sgd$430-490...
GO FIGURE!!! ..LOL... CATCH Of the Year for me!

Build quality : EXCELLENT. Comparable to HE-400.
Sound Quality : Very heavy Bass... More than HE-400.  If I had to choose.. HE-400 is the BEST! This X1 I think it's more for bass heads.. it's really flabby bass instead of the tight controlled bass I hear from HE-400. The clarity loses definitely to HE-400, AKG Q701, Fostex, Creative Aurvana.

My current headphones in order of preference :_
1) HE-400
2) AKG Q701
3) Fostex T50RP
4) Creative Aurvana Live!
5) Fidelio X1 (VERY GOOD FOR MOVIES! If you listen carefully, the bass actually makes you feel like you are sitting in teh middle and listening to a real hi-fi system)
6) Sennheiser hd518 

Come to think of it, Fidelio X1 is like a little less veiled version of Sennheiser HD518 with more flappy bass. It also does not sound open and airy. I reckon it is semi-opened at best which explains why it has more bass than a typical open-backed design. How I judge? Well, my AKG and HE-400, I can hear clearly ambient noise, but the X1 is less clear as it seems enclosed..

P/S : Using an Audinst HD-Mini DAC to a Bravo Audio V2 Tube amp.

Updated 12/10/2012 :- I've finally understood this is a separate category from the rest of the headphones. X1 is indeed very very accurate in representing what you hear in a hi-fi system or cinema. The bass i hear when watching movie is actually very deep and SUB-WOOFER like sound you get from the cinema. The depth and layering of details added to the immersive soundscape.  So if buyng for music, this might not be it. But for Watching Movies.. Oh boy! This is a MUST HAVE!

Oct 11, 2012 at 7:45 AM Post #293 of 5,962
I got my X1's (amazon.it, 194[size=small][/size]) and I like how comfortable they are and how nice the stage is when listening to classical music and jazz. Unfortunately I have a cold at the moment so I cannot really judge the sound beyond that but I definitely like what I hear and they sound better than my L1s and SRH840s.

However, I don't have a proper source, currently I just connect them directly to my phone.

Can you suggest a good DAC & amplifier around 500 [size=small]€?[/size]

(I would prefer my 64GB iPhone as the source for the DAC so that I am independent from my computer.)

Cheers

Oct 11, 2012 at 10:07 AM Post #294 of 5,962
Quote:
I got my X1's (amazon.it, 194[size=small][/size]) and I like how comfortable they are and how nice the stage is when listening to classical music and jazz. Unfortunately I have a cold at the moment so I cannot really judge the sound beyond that but I definitely like what I hear and they sound better than my L1s and SRH840s.

However, I don't have a proper source, currently I just connect them directly to my phone.

Can you suggest a good DAC & amplifier around 500 [size=small]€?[/size]

(I would prefer my 64GB iPhone as the source for the DAC so that I am independent from my computer.)

Cheers

Hi!

I just bought FiiO E17 DAC AMP for my new AKG K550's and I have to say that this little piece of equipment just rocks. After WASAPI plugins, the sound from foobar is simply amazing. The E17 is usb-powered so no external power supply is needed. It also has a built in battery so you can easily hook it up to your favorite portable player and enjoy music on the go. Finally, you have 10 step eq for both treble and bass so you can tune the sound for your liking. For me this DAC/AMP is everything I need and just plain awesome especially considering the low price (Zeus Audio from amazon.de marketplace: 112 euros + 20 euros for shipping). With 500 euros, however, you probably get noticeably better sound quality but E17 is great budget product that ticks a lots of boxes. Go read about it if it suits your needs. Lots of rave reviews out there :)

Hope this helps

Cheers

Oct 11, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #295 of 5,962
Not sure he needs a DAC; I thought the line out only skipped the internal amp on an iDevice. In that case, 500€ gets him up into RSA portable amp range, arguably a technically superior product line. With that budget I might be tempted toget a UHA-6s MkII or Dragonfly and put the rest toward CIEMs.

Oct 11, 2012 at 3:18 PM Post #296 of 5,962
Not sure he needs an amp (and a DAC probably a lot less so). I don't imagine the X1's are all that hard to drive. It's possible there is some impedance mismatch going on, but if there were I can't say how big of a difference it would make.

Oct 11, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #297 of 5,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by wj888 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Very heavy Bass... More than HE-400.  If I had to choose.. HE-400 is the BEST! This X1 I think it's more for bass heads.. it's really flabby bass instead of the tight controlled bass I hear from HE-400. 

Yet another headphone I now won't bother to audition...

Oct 11, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #298 of 5,962
Quote:

Yet another headphone I now won't bother to audition...

However, you need to consider this if you are interested in re-creating the ambience sound of a home theater system or that of a cinema. Mainly the deep flabby bass that subwoofer pumps out in volume. The noise from the environment that seeps in partially like in a cinema. You are in the center of the cinema and noise is not totally isolated, it blends in with the cinema soundtrack. Yesterday night I watch Prometheus and my god.. It sounds like I was sitting right in the middle of a cinema. No dolby headphone technology needded but I think it would be even more impressive if that was turned on.  Today, I asked my wife to try it and she had similar remarks. 

Updated 12/10/2012 :- I've finally understood this is a separate category from the rest of the headphones. X1 is indeed very very accurate in representing what you hear in a hi-fi system or cinema. The bass i hear when watching movie is actually very deep and SUB-WOOFER like sound you get from the cinema. The depth and layering of details added to the immersive soundscape.  So if buyng for music, this might not be it. But for Watching Movies.. Oh boy! This is a MUST HAVE!

But I have to agree if you are listening to music, you will find HE-400 to be heavenly ! Details and seperation are there and still musical but not to the extent of the AKG Q701 which dissects everything.  The X1 overpowering bass makes it hard to hear the level of details and seperation like the rest. Someone mentioned turning down the bass will make this $300 phone becomes a worthy $600ish phones. I haven't tried that 'coz I liked it RAW.. I don't add +/- treble/bass eq to my phones. hehe

P/S : After trying out so many phones, I have developed a definite preference for OPEN-Backed airy phones. I am not a basshead though, I find AKG Q701 bass good enough for me when people were complaining of its lack of bass. 

Oct 12, 2012 at 8:03 AM Post #299 of 5,962
Quote:

How wide is the soundstage? For me movie/gaming headphones should be relaxed and laid back rather than forward so that they do not cause fatigue. From your impressions I get the feeling they are forward sounding? 

Also doesn't bode well that you think the CAL's (which I thought were rubbish) are better than a headphone that costs over 4 times as much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back