[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Apr 3, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #5,731 of 5,962
  The main issue with the Fisual S-Flex cable is that it sounds thin and a bit laid back. Thicker cables such as the Kabeldirekt give fuller and more alive sound.

Given the chance, I will give my recommendations for matching Fidelio X1 after having tried many dac-amps,
Although X1 is a warm headphone, it doesn't pair well with solid state amps.The only SS source I 've enjoyed was Aune X1 MK2 which has a tube-like sound. I 've owned Matrix M-stage HPA2 dac-amp and Schiit Modi 2 + Magni 2 and both of them sounded digital / clinical. I ended up selling them except the Modi 2 which is awesome.

HOW WRONG I WAS! And thank god I still have Magni 2 as I was just putting it for sale.
Guys, believe it or not my X1 sounded thin from any SS amp because of a BAD 3.5mm to 6.35mm ADAPTER!!!
Note that I have replaced the original cable with a good quality 3.5mm to 3.5mm hand made cable which has attached a 3.5mm to 6.35mm adapter to one end, so as to fit most headphone amps.
I realised this last Friday when I unplugged the cable from my Magni 2 without the adapter and then plugged it to an ifi idsd micro which had its own adapter.
Oh boy, the bass became really FULL and the lower midrange got the right presence. Initially I thought the obvious: The ifi micro made all the difference. At the end of the ifi owner's visit I tried just for fun his adapter (from ifi) into my amp and the sound became full again. Then I became perfectly sure that my adapter was creating frequency distortion.
Yesterday I purchased a new adapter branded "techlink wires1st" which isn't gold plated but it is a good quality one.
The sound became noticeably fuller but not as full as it should be.
Today I was listening to songs while playing with the equalizer and found that (with the new adapter) the frequencies between 150hz and 600Hz suffer from heavy roll-off. I increased them by 8db to make them sound in proper volume but they sounded very distorted after the gain.
Finally I listened from my Fiio E18 which has a 3.5mm output (to avoid the need of an adapter) and the sound was full, no roll-off of any bass frequencies. When I 've connected the E18's DAC to my Magni 2, thin sound again. Don't think of the RCA cable because it's a high quality thick cable (Blue Jeans LC-1) which only increased the bass and made it fuller when it replaced the Audioquest Tower.
I suspect there is no way to get the full frequency range completely undistorted if using an adapter. Is that correct? I would like to hear an opinion from an expert one because my next move is to purchase a good 3.5mm to 6.35mm cable for the headphones.
And if there is an adapter that creates zero distortion, which is that?

Apr 4, 2016 at 2:49 AM Post #5,732 of 5,962
I think I have heard about adapter issues with X1 before somewhere and Your are probably not alone. I haven`t experienced this problem yet because I have both, 3,5>3,5 & 3,5>6.3mm, self-made HQ cables, so I don`t have to use any adapter.
Check this post for good alternative cables: http://www.head-fi.org/t/623013/new-philips-fidelio-x1/4320#post_10475263

Apr 4, 2016 at 5:00 AM Post #5,733 of 5,962
  I think I have heard about adapter issues with X1 before somewhere and Your are probably not alone. I haven`t experienced this problem yet because I have both, 3,5>3,5 & 3,5>6.3mm, self-made HQ cables, so I don`t have to use any adapter.
Check this post for good alternative cables: http://www.head-fi.org/t/623013/new-philips-fidelio-x1/4320#post_10475263

Yeah, I've actually read about adapter issues a couple of times before too. In fact, quite recently because I was reading about the SMSL sApII Pro and I read that the bundled 3.5mm->1/4" adapter wasn't very good. Luckily, I have a different one hanging around and I basically won't need to use it if I'm not testing out IEMs.

Apr 4, 2016 at 8:35 AM Post #5,734 of 5,962
I am about to buy a special (3.5mm to 6.35mm) MSA-1 cable from bluejeanscable.com as I am very satisfied with their LC-1 cable.
From the specs below, do you think it's a good one for the use I want?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/27hx0xjlemwts16/%28MSA-1%29%20YR52388%20Tech%20Data.pdf?dl=0

Apr 7, 2016 at 11:14 PM Post #5,736 of 5,962
  So sorry if these questions have been asked on this thread far too many time, however, I am not sure I can go through the 380 + pages to find the answers hidden within this thread...please direct me to the page numbers if you wish...

I am in the market to find a headphone + aftermarket inline microphone or dedicated headset for "skyping", hands-free telephone use as well as casual/FUN headphone based music listening, and  and my research has led me to the Phillips Fidelio X1, or possibly the X2, based on my sound signature preference in conjunction with the 3.5 mm input plug to allow the use of a boom mic...to be utilized the V-MODA inline boom mike...

I have a few questions regarding my potential choice/purchase...based on my understanding is that the X1 manufacture was discontinued, (2013), AND that Phillips has more recently been purchased by another company, so that replacement cup pads might not be available if/when necessary.

With regard to the X1...

1.  Is there any general expectation regarding the "lifespan" of the pads?
2. If the pads require replacement, exactly how does one effect that replacement?
3. If the replacement pads do NOT come from Phillips, are there any other pads that will work well with the X1's?
4. On a more technical side, will these headphones be able to driven at least adequately by a cell phone, (clamshell OR "smart" phone style), not for serious music listening, but just voice transmission/conversation...?...

Would I simply be better off purchasing the Fidelio X2's, with their replaceable pads...?...my understanding is that they tend to be somewhat brighter, and that there was some glue issues with the "removable" pads...any thoughts?...

Thank you for your assistance!

Apr 8, 2016 at 12:29 AM Post #5,737 of 5,962
    So sorry if these questions have been asked on this thread far too many time, however, I am not sure I can go through the 380 + pages to find the answers hidden within this thread...please direct me to the page numbers if you wish...

I am in the market to find a headphone + aftermarket inline microphone or dedicated headset for "skyping", hands-free telephone use as well as casual/FUN headphone based music listening, and  and my research has led me to the Phillips Fidelio X1, or possibly the X2, based on my sound signature preference in conjunction with the 3.5 mm input plug to allow the use of a boom mic...to be utilized the V-MODA inline boom mike...

I have a few questions regarding my potential choice/purchase...based on my understanding is that the X1 manufacture was discontinued, (2013), AND that Phillips has more recently been purchased by another company, so that replacement cup pads might not be available if/when necessary.

With regard to the X1...

1.  Is there any general expectation regarding the "lifespan" of the pads?
2. If the pads require replacement, exactly how does one effect that replacement?
3. If the replacement pads do NOT come from Phillips, are there any other pads that will work well with the X1's?
4. On a more technical side, will these headphones be able to driven at least adequately by a cell phone, (clamshell OR "smart" phone style), not for serious music listening, but just voice transmission/conversation...?...

Would I simply be better off purchasing the Fidelio X2's, with their replaceable pads...?...my understanding is that they tend to be somewhat brighter, and that there was some glue issues with the "removable" pads...any thoughts?...

Thank you for your assistance!

Well I can't answer all your questions, but I'll try to answer some of them as best as I can. My insights are in regards to both X1 and X2. I hope they help in some way with your decision.

1) Expect a pretty good pad lifespan. I've had mine for about a year and the pads still look and feel new to me. Let's assume I've used mine an average of like 3 hours a week since I rotate headphones and oftentimes listen through speakers as well.
2/3) You can't really remove the pads on an X1, at least not easily. While some of the X2s have removable pads and some don't (for some weird reason), ALL X1s have the pads glued on. They use the same removable peg system as the X2 pads, but some idiot in development figured that gluing them in place would be better. If you have an X2 where the pads aren't glued, then I don't know any official retailer where you can buy them. There are third parties, like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bass-Plus-Velvet-Replacement-Ear-Pads-Cushion-For-Philips-Fidelio-X2-Headphones-/261967950938.
4) I didn't even know that a flip phone would have a 3.5mm out. The ones I've seen used 2.5mm. But I'm sure any modern smartphone could power the X1/2. They're pretty efficient as far as full-sized headphones go so they can sound pretty good out of a decent smartphone as well.

Apr 10, 2016 at 7:33 PM Post #5,738 of 5,962
Had my pair a fair time now no pad issues but then I did the sock mod day one, as far as I know x2 replacement pads or any ads that fit can be glued on to the x1.
People worry about the pads too much, it will take 6 years + @ 12 hours a day until they are really bad.

My sock mod is very simple, obtain a pair of socks used or new or smelly up to you.

At the top of the sock the open part cut off about 2 inches, align the sock with the outer non frayed edge of the sock and pull expand the sock marterial around x1/x2 earcup, the seamed off eleasticated end should sit snug in place on the inner edge of stock earpads

Apr 25, 2016 at 11:54 AM Post #5,739 of 5,962
  Isn't it the memory foam chemicals ? isn't an issue they will dry out leave them in an airing cupboard or in a warm place.

I really don't know what that liquid was.. but there was definitely A LOT of it coming out of the pads.
Too much for me to consider them safe to be worn..

Hi Midgetguy,
Thank you for your prompt answer!
After reading it, I made a search and it seems quite a few people suffered the same problem, even with X2s.

In my case, it seems like there's "a lot" of dye coming out from the pads and I'm afraid just cleaning them couldn't be enough.
Honestly, I don't like the idea of wearing them on my skin with the possibility of some dye passing through..
Let's see if Philips or the dealer (Massdrop) can help me someway... crossed fingers.

Thank you very much for your answer, you have been very helpful! :)

A quick follow up on my experience.

I have to say i'm IMPRESSED by Philips customer care:
  1. they first confirmed the two years guarantee period, even if my headphones had been bougth online from a US vendor (I live in Italy)
  2. i took my X1 to a help center and got it replaced with a new pair of X2 in about a week
  3. the customer service guy called me back a couple times to check that everything was going smooth

All in all I'm very satisfied, I didn't expect it to be so simple.
Well done Philips! :)

Apr 25, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #5,740 of 5,962
  I really don't know what that liquid was.. but there was definitely A LOT of it coming out of the pads.
Too much for me to consider them safe to be weared..

A quick follow up on my experience.

I have to say i'm IMPRESSED by Philips customer care:
  1. they first confirmed the two years guarantee period, even if my headphones had been bougth online from a US vendor (I live in Italy)
  2. i took my X1 to a help center and got it replaced with a new pair of X2 in about a week
  3. the customer service guy called me back a couple times to check that everything was going smooth

All in all I'm very satisfied, I didn't expect it to be so simple.
Well done Philips! :)

Wow, I've never encountered a warranty return/replacement so easy to deal with. That's nice.

May 19, 2016 at 4:15 PM Post #5,743 of 5,962
That`s my future plan! Though, I have no idea how this combo will work out 
tongue.gif

May 20, 2016 at 3:48 PM Post #5,744 of 5,962
Are the s1 and the x1 have the same sound signature?

also i found a white s2 for $60 is that worth?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back