[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Mar 21, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #5,716 of 5,962
Reminiscing with my pair right now, great value for money :)

Mar 27, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #5,717 of 5,962
  Lucky you!
I have the Fisual S-Flex mini cable. In fact I had ordered it the same day I ordered my Fidelio X1.
While it is superior to the stock cable, it is not that good.
After a couple of months I ordered a "KabelDirekt Pro series 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable" because I wanted a longer one for my headphones.
And guess what: The KabelDIrekt cable sounds much better than the Fisual S-Flex mini and is much cheaper (less than half of the price).
Believe it or not, my Fisual S-Flex mini cable sits permanently in the drawer.

This is the link of the KabelDirekt cable I 've mentioned:
http://www.amazon.com/KabelDirekt-Series-Stereo-Audio-Cable/dp/B00DI8A05Q/ref=pd_cp_e_2

I just got this cable i have 3x s-flex mini's  and you're right KabelDirekt cable sounds awesome feels like it opens up the mids ? seems crisper cleaner than the s-flex

I can definitely recommend KabelDirekt 3m 3.5mm Jack to 3.5mm Jack Stereo Audio Cable - PRO Series cable for x1

Mar 28, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #5,718 of 5,962
The main issue with the Fisual S-Flex cable is that it sounds thin and a bit laid back. Thicker cables such as the Kabeldirekt give fuller and more alive sound.

Given the chance, I will give my recommendations for matching Fidelio X1 after having tried many dac-amps,
Although X1 is a warm headphone, it doesn't pair well with solid state amps.The only SS source I 've enjoyed was Aune X1 MK2 which has a tube-like sound. I 've owned Matrix M-stage HPA2 dac-amp and Schiit Modi 2 + Magni 2 and both of them sounded digital / clinical. I ended up selling them except the Modi 2 which is awesome.

My end-game (current) setup is Schiit Modi 2 + Project Starlight amp with Telefunken 12AU7 tube. It sounds like heaven!
My number two preference would be Aune T1 (I' ve listened to it with my X1 at an audio exhibition).
Finally at number three I put Aune X1 (maybe not Aune X1s because it has a different sound signature).

Also avoid some cheap Fiios and small portable USB dac-amps because all of them sound average at best,
Even the quite expensive Meridian Explorer sounded bloated-distorted in the bass and Meridian Explorer 2 sounded distorted in the lower treble. With such sources, most probably you 'll get a marginal improvement over your computer's audio output.

Mar 28, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #5,719 of 5,962
  The main issue with the Fisual S-Flex cable is that it sounds thin and a bit laid back. Thicker cables such as the Kabeldirekt give fuller and more alive sound.

Given the chance, I will give my recommendations for matching Fidelio X1 after having tried many dac-amps,
Although X1 is a warm headphone, it doesn't pair well with solid state amps.The only SS source I 've enjoyed was Aune X1 MK2 which has a tube-like sound. I 've owned Matrix M-stage HPA2 dac-amp and Schiit Modi 2 + Magni 2 and both of them sounded digital / clinical. I ended up selling them except the Modi 2 which is awesome.

My end-game (current) setup is Schiit Modi 2 + Project Starlight amp with Telefunken 12AU7 tube. It sounds like heaven!
My number two preference would be Aune T1 (I' ve listened to it with my X1 at an audio exhibition).
Finally at number three I put Aune X1 (maybe not Aune X1s because it has a different sound signature).

Also avoid some cheap Fiios and small portable USB dac-amps because all of them sound average at best,
Even the quite expensive Meridian Explorer sounded bloated-distorted in the bass and Meridian Explorer 2 sounded distorted in the lower treble. With such sources, most probably you 'll get a marginal improvement over your computer's audio output.

I run mine through a Topping D20 and TP30mkII and will add yet another line of insight into using a SS amp with these. They aren't bad, not great. Really middle of the road paired with the X1. Not as full as I've heard it be, but still has some body to it. They shine most through tube amps.

Mar 28, 2016 at 6:06 PM Post #5,720 of 5,962
Well what needs bringing out a tad more on the x1 is the upper mids and treble a small amount and tightening the bass.
But if you want tight bass you get closed cans right ? I think every genre of music there's a headphone that suits it the x1 is a good all rounder for gaming / music.

Mar 28, 2016 at 7:06 PM Post #5,721 of 5,962
  Well what needs bringing out a tad more on the x1 is the upper mids and treble a small amount and tightening the bass.
But if you want tight bass you get closed cans right ? I think every genre of music there's a headphone that suits it the x1 is a good all rounder for gaming / music.

Indeed it is. I think it works great for gaming, it has a good sound stage.

Mar 29, 2016 at 5:24 AM Post #5,722 of 5,962

You should have a chance to pair it with hardware upgraded T1 with some Siemens E88CC tube = this combo is also like heaven!
tongue.gif

About SS-amps + X1... I generally agree but with proper combo it can sound same as tubey dac/amp or maybe even better.
For example I have hardware upgraded DX50 with custom firmware which sounds basically same as my T1 setup but only with slightly less micro-details. First thing though is changing X1 cable (of course measure its impedance first).

Mar 29, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #5,723 of 5,962
  You should have a chance to pair it with hardware upgraded T1 with some Siemens E88CC tube = this combo is also like heaven!
tongue.gif

About SS-amps + X1... I generally agree but with proper combo it can sound same as tubey dac/amp or maybe even better.
For example I have hardware upgraded DX50 with custom firmware which sounds basically same as my T1 setup but only with slightly less micro-details. First thing though is changing X1 cable (of course measure its impedance first).

One can find a proper combo for everything if one looks long enough.

Mar 29, 2016 at 5:38 PM Post #5,724 of 5,962
  You should have a chance to pair it with hardware upgraded T1 with some Siemens E88CC tube =  this combo is also like heaven!
tongue.gif

Wow! That's an awesome tube! Suits to my HP amp too.I haven't ever listened it but I know from reviews that it sounds very good.
Since you recommend it, maybe I 'll get one shortly....

Mar 30, 2016 at 4:10 AM Post #5,725 of 5,962
There are different versions (year/batch/factory/build) Siemens E88CC tubes, so do Your research before buying one. About the ones I have, check from profile.

Mar 31, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #5,726 of 5,962
tongue.gif

I thought the T1 was a good buy until I read it only has a sound effect on the dac via usb ONLY and not a standalone headphone amp.
So if you say run pc to amp all you'll get is a basic headphone pass through.I would get one if it wasn't tube amp via using it's dac only as I am sure the xonar dx dac is superior.

Mar 31, 2016 at 12:57 PM Post #5,727 of 5,962
T1 is SS amp + SS dac (with tube buffer). T1 main feature IS USB-DAC. Amp section is unfortunately "just another cmoy" entry level SS amp. Though, I`m talking about my hardware upgraded T1 and I`m sure X1 can benefit even more with separate tube amp. For example DarkVoice 336SE is widely approved pairing with X1/X2.
c64, did Your try different high-end tubes with T1? But really - T1 is different beast after some HW upgrades and proper tube 
wink.gif

Btw, for what it matters, by specs, T1 amp section puts out around 1000mW @ 32Ohm which should be enough for X1 (max power input ~500mW).

Apr 2, 2016 at 5:32 AM Post #5,728 of 5,962
Hello,
First post for me, nice to meet you all! :)
Something "strange" is happening to my pair of X1 lately and I was wondering if any of you may have noticed the same.

I usually leave my X1 laying on my desk when I stop working and go to bed; otherwise I hang them on a small hook I have on my wardrobe.
Since a few weeks I've started noticing "blueish" spots appearing in both places.
First it was on a white audio cable, then on the wardrobe itself, my desk, a paper notebook..

I didn't know what exactly was causing them until I made a test a couple days ago.
I left the X1 resting on a white sheet of paper for the whole night.
When I woke up, this is what I found:

What do you think it may be?
Are the ear cushions in some way "deteriorating"? (they're still like new, though, since I bought my pair on Massdrop in June 2015)
Could it be that the cushions are releasing my own sweat? (honestly, it would be very strange since I sweat very little)
Have anyone of you noticed anything similar? Maybe even with other headphones?

Thank you for any help! :)

Apr 2, 2016 at 1:59 PM Post #5,729 of 5,962
  Hello,
First post for me, nice to meet you all! :)
Something "strange" is happening to my pair of X1 lately and I was wondering if any of you may have noticed the same.

I usually leave my X1 laying on my desk when I stop working and go to bed; otherwise I hang them on a small hook I have on my wardrobe.
Since a few weeks I've started noticing "blueish" spots appearing in both places.
First it was on a white audio cable, then on the wardrobe itself, my desk, a paper notebook..

I didn't know what exactly was causing them until I made a test a couple days ago.
I left the X1 resting on a white sheet of paper for the whole night.
When I woke up, this is what I found:

What do you think it may be?
Are the ear cushions in some way "deteriorating"? (they're still like new, though, since I bought my pair on Massdrop in June 2015)
Could it be that the cushions are releasing my own sweat? (honestly, it would be very strange since I sweat very little)
Have anyone of you noticed anything similar? Maybe even with other headphones?

Thank you for any help! :)

You, my friend, are one of the people unlucky enough to run into the pad dye issue. Some batches of X1s have dye run out of the pads, I can't remember why but someone here could likely tell you if they saw it. As far as I know, the solution is simply to pat them down a bunch with paper towels. I'd say take them off and wash them if they were X2 pads, but the X1 pads are glued in so it's more annoying and you have to be quite careful if you try to take them off. What I did when I tested to see if mine had this problem was to hang them off a table edge by the earpads overnight, one earpad at a time, with the earpad sitting on a paper towel (or a couple layers just in case to make sure the dye didn't soak through to the table itself). Good luck and come back if you've got more questions!

Apr 3, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #5,730 of 5,962
  You, my friend, are one of the people unlucky enough to run into the pad dye issue. Some batches of X1s have dye run out of the pads, I can't remember why but someone here could likely tell you if they saw it. As far as I know, the solution is simply to pat them down a bunch with paper towels. I'd say take them off and wash them if they were X2 pads, but the X1 pads are glued in so it's more annoying and you have to be quite careful if you try to take them off. What I did when I tested to see if mine had this problem was to hang them off a table edge by the earpads overnight, one earpad at a time, with the earpad sitting on a paper towel (or a couple layers just in case to make sure the dye didn't soak through to the table itself). Good luck and come back if you've got more questions!

Hi Midgetguy,
Thank you for your prompt answer!
After reading it, I made a search and it seems quite a few people suffered the same problem, even with X2s.

In my case, it seems like there's "a lot" of dye coming out from the pads and I'm afraid just cleaning them couldn't be enough.
Honestly, I don't like the idea of wearing them on my skin with the possibility of some dye passing through..
Let's see if Philips or the dealer (Massdrop) can help me someway... crossed fingers.

Thank you very much for your answer, you have been very helpful! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back