[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Oct 2, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #5,011 of 5,962

The VModa M100 is closest. They're honestly not that far apart, just the X1 has the bigger soundstage thanks to being open-back. If you like one, you'll like the other. 

Really? I sit next to someone at work who has the VModa M100 and thought the bass really overpowers everything else. They were too dark for my tastes (and even the Ultrasones Pro 900 even darker). I do enjoy the bass on the V-modas but the vocals sounded as if someone had a pillow on their mouths. I don't know what the descriptive word here is.

I may give it a go again as I haven't compared it directly to the X1, only to the Mr. Speakers Mad Dogs PRO 900 I had at one point.

My Shurrr 1540 sounds a lot like my X1

Thanks. I will check it out.

The funny thing is I bought the X1 on a whim (Amazon sale earlier this year) and have fallen in love with it. I have also become more of a critical listener in general ever since joining head-fi and I am noticing how bad some recordings are (I tend to find distortion in some songs like Pound Cake by Drake).

Oct 3, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #5,012 of 5,962
I am auditioning a pair of X-1, and I quite like them.  I am apparently turning into a mini basshead, because as much as I loved the sound signature of the Sennheiser HD600, it didn't have the bass hit I had grown accustomed to, and had come to love.  I have the Soundmagic HP150, which I also very much like, but it is a little brighter on the top end (it goes slightly lower - closed vs open).  These Philips don't sound as bright, which I like.

The more headphones I listen to, the more confused I become 
blink.gif
  I have only had one that I really did not like.  I have only listened to 5 different 'phones, but they all had something I liked.  These Philips come close to having everything I want.  Really pleased, and you can pick them up from Amazon Warehouse for a pretty reasonable price.

Oct 4, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #5,014 of 5,962
Can someone help me out. At first I thought it was my X1 and Audio-gd NFB-28 combo. But I tried my old Audio technica m50s + Fiio E10 and hear what sounds like distortion.

Can you listen to this song (Closer) and tell me if you hear distortion. 

Starts around 0:28 and keeps occurring on the bass notes

https://cyprinid.bandcamp.com/album/closer-fornever

Is this distortion? I can hear this same crackling on a more popular artist: Drake - Pound Cake.

Oct 4, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #5,015 of 5,962
  Can someone help me out. At first I thought it was my X1 and Audio-gd NFB-28 combo. But I tried my old Audio technica m50s + Fiio E10 and hear what sounds like distortion.

Is this distortion? I can hear this same crackling on a more popular artist: Drake - Pound Cake.

I got my M50s + FiiO E10K and I don't think I hear what you're referring to?

Oct 4, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #5,016 of 5,962
That bandcamp song at :28. I hear what sounds like a paper flapping when the bassline hits. Sounds like a scratchy sound. Are you referring to that noise? I also notice some distortion too. I hear it now. I'm listening via DT990 and HT Omega Halo Claro.

Oct 4, 2014 at 10:58 PM Post #5,017 of 5,962
  That bandcamp song at :28. I hear what sounds like a paper flapping when the bassline hits. Sounds like a scratchy sound. Are you referring to that noise? I also notice some distortion too. I hear it now. I'm listening via DT990 and HT Omega Halo Claro.

Yes,  a scratchy sound..or like a very short burst of paper crumbling near the end of the base note hit. I am not sure if its intentional or just a bad recording but does this what distortion sounds like? 

Oct 5, 2014 at 2:41 AM Post #5,019 of 5,962
To all owners of the X1 out there, can you please let me know if over time the headband hammock gets a little looser.

I tried the X1 in a shop and found the hammock putting a lot of pressure on my larger than average head.

I know that the X2 has a bigger headband but in Tyll's review of them he states the hammock has a little too much pressure for him.

Many thanks in advance.

Oct 5, 2014 at 2:44 AM Post #5,020 of 5,962
To all owners of the X1 out there, can you please let me know if over time the headband hammock gets a looser.

I tried the X1 in a shop and found the hammock putting a lot of pressure on my larger than average head.

I know that the X2 has a bigger headband but in Tyll's review of them he states the hammock has a little too much pressure for him.

Many thanks in advance.

The construction of the frame actually allows you to some-what bend it to fit a taller head.

Tyll definitely demonstrated it in the X1 review IIRC.

It's not much, but it might be enough for you--try it out.

Oct 5, 2014 at 2:47 AM Post #5,021 of 5,962
The construction of the frame actually allows you to some-what bend it to fit a taller head.

Tyll definitely demonstrated it in the X1 review IIRC.

It's not much, but it might be enough for you--try it out.

I have seen Tyll's review of the X1, but bending the headband does not change the pressure from the hammock.

Oct 5, 2014 at 3:25 AM Post #5,022 of 5,962
or try wearing it very slightly tilted/angled towards the back like what I do to keep some pressure off my big round head, well as for comfort goes the only ones I find really comfy are the Sony ones but the pleather they use really wear out fast.

Oct 5, 2014 at 5:38 AM Post #5,023 of 5,962

Can confirm the sound is saturated/soft clipping, it has nothing to do with your headphones! It's actually a pretty common technique used to make things sound warmer, maybe I overdid it though
biggrin.gif

Oct 5, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #5,025 of 5,962
Seems like You might be allergic to Your sweat "reacting" certain type of synthetic materials. I have read few person having similar problem.
If You really like those cans and do want to keep using them, then I suggest to remove pads and install something else.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back