[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Sep 23, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #4,981 of 5,962
  Great pics and I seriously like those Beyer velours. I'm still a bit unclear on this: "You have to put something thin and strong between and then just bend/turn that and it will pop loose" Where on the earpad do you put something between? This is the problem I had-wasn't sure where I needed to separate the pad from the cup.

I haven't popped mine off yet, but I did a little fiddling and noticed if you pull gently on the outer rim of the pad there's a rather clear "seam" where you could pop something (say, a butterknife) under and just work the adhesive away. Seems a likely candidate. 

Sep 23, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #4,983 of 5,962
  no im interested at looking at the backpart, what material and how it is stiched togeter and how the foam is lined up. planning to make a diy pad made of velour for my dj phones (the pad hurts like hell). do you still have it for a pic?
tongue.gif

Back is plastic which is needed to attach to X1's. You would need to keep this or get a plastic mould done. Everything is attached by glue; fabric glued to mould, foam glued to mould, mould glued to x1 frame.

Removing pads was easy. I just pulled it off without any damage to alignment prongs. Here be piccies ...

Sep 23, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #4,984 of 5,962
Tbh it probably could have been easily resoldered if I had the patience and solder, gun and glue to reattach the ear pads but I just couldn't be bothered and used it as an opportunity at the time to purchase the Sony MA900's (not a patch on the X1's imo -quite dull, smaller stage, lighter sound despite 70mm drivers).

I am curious, for the people that have had the jack on the X1 fail, and looked at it, is there anything that can be done before the thing fails to help it last longer.
I am not clear about what exactly fails. The jack itself internally), the supporting material around the jack (headphone housing), or what.
Do you think the failure was due to stress on the socket, repeated connects and disconnects, or maybe just a crappy design?

I wonder if using some epoxy around the jack inside of the cup, or anything else, might help.

I do like the X1 and even though they are not hugely expensive, relatively speaking, $250 is still $250 I will never get back if they die out of warranty. I just hate the thought of having them die an early death due to something that I can prevent or avoid.

Sep 23, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #4,985 of 5,962
mandrake50, I share your sentiment as even though I only paid ~£130 for mine iirc on release. It wasn't much money but it sure felt like more as I then had to go on the headphone hunt again and spend a few hundred £'s on trying a Sony MA900, couple Grados, HD598. I was more than happy with the X1's!

The problem with them (and why I never bothered repurchasing) is that the internal 3.5mm socket lies flush with exit of the X1 casing. This means any lateral strain/force applied to the cable plug will be output  almost 1:1 to the internal socket which is held down by just two very thin solder points. Poor design without doubt.

A better approach would have been to have some of the cable plug or almost all of it inside the X1 casing through a hole big enough only for the jack like some AKG's, Senns (I think Shure), maybe a few others too. I know this makes cables more proprietary but sure worth the trade-off given the potential problem.

I rarely changed cables on mine nor did I exert any lateral strain. It's not like I did anything of a dubious nature to them before it clapped out..It just happened suddenly.

Applying epoxy to the internal jack assembly would definitely help protect against future breakage. If you don't want to open them up which is understandable as the earpads would need to be re-glued on then make sure you can solder well. It would also be beneficial to have a soldering iron with a very narrow shaft.

I just stumbled upon the X2 thread and will be buying them hoping they have fixed this issue whilst retaining the sonic signature of the X1's.

Sep 23, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #4,987 of 5,962
  ...as the earpads would need to be re-glued on 

No need to re-glue anything! Pins locking system works fine without any glue :wink:

Sep 23, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #4,988 of 5,962
  Beautiful photos, I think I saw them on reddit while I was researching the X1s.

Too bad there's no US based stores that sell those cables, probably gonna go with V-Moda.

The V-Moda more than sorted me out for 99% of uses really so I'd say go for those if you cannot get the Fisual in!

Sep 23, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #4,989 of 5,962
  No need to re-glue anything! Pins locking system works fine without any glue :wink:

Really? I assumed because they had glue on the back then that would need to be used to get them back on. If they go back on just as securely and flush with pins alone then that's a bonus re: nodding.

In any case, I never got that far as I just binned my X1's as I couldn't be bothered to faff around with them any longer! Patiently waiting for X2 UK release and with it hopefully stronger contact joints...

Sep 25, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #4,991 of 5,962
  The V-Moda more than sorted me out for 99% of uses really so I'd say go for those if you cannot get the Fisual in!

Yeah, I'm using the 6ft nylon V-Moda cable, sounds excellent. Can't think of a reason to need anything else. 

Sep 25, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #4,993 of 5,962
  Just got the red one, pretty fast shipping! Cheers.

Oh, forgot to ask: Do these frail? I notice they kink a little bit.

Now the wait for headphones...

Mine's in perfect condition, it also doesn't kink whatsoever. It's FAR too soft for that. Feels like a big shoelace.

Sep 27, 2014 at 4:44 AM Post #4,994 of 5,962
SGD, Picked up the X1? It sure is a great headphone! As I've recently downsized my headphone collection, it hasn't gone anywhere.

For gaming and movies (your intended application), it's perfect. It's actually quite good to listen to music as well. A little bit loose in the bass, but it's also not $600, so it's understandable. It does a lot of things right including comfort. 

I get good use out of mine, perfect for watching youtube videos or as an all rounder for anything really. Not fatiguing in the slightest either, but still enjoyable (and present) treble. For the person wanting a versatile, above average performer at an affordable price, I don't think you can do better.

The X1 is an excellent value, and seems worth more than what it sells for, actually. It has saved me lots of money by allowing me to sell some of my more expensive gear without regret!

Sep 27, 2014 at 5:59 AM Post #4,995 of 5,962
Completely off-topic question but when watching a movie and listening to the sound on your headphones,
do you set the sound on your amp/receiver on stereo or surround/5.1?
Simple question but I couldn't find any answer.
I got the X1 about 3 months ago and am very pleased with it and did watch some movies with it and still
not sure if switching back to stereo is the good thing to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back