[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Sep 18, 2014 at 4:22 AM Post #4,952 of 5,962
Aune X1 should be good match according to some impressions by users.

Sep 18, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #4,956 of 5,962
I just got these and upon getting them, I listened to them on my phone. In short, they sounded pretty crap - veiled and lifeless. Then I hooked it up to a DX90 and O2 and I was really amazed. No more bloat and very fast now. I absolutely get all the praise now. Amping is an absolute must, and it better be pretty powerful, or else you will get a flabby and veiled sound. 

Off to try them with my NAD M51 and Violectric V200 
biggrin.gif

Sep 18, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #4,957 of 5,962
Don`t know about DX90 but with DX50 medium-gain gives best result. With Aune T1 I also use medium-gain and it sounds noticeably better than 0-gain. Might be due to T1 being ~1000mA@+0dB vs. ~400mA@+10dB output since X1 max input is ~500mA. Also let them "burn-in" for some time with amping, they will get better.

Sep 21, 2014 at 8:02 AM Post #4,959 of 5,962
A very simple Modification? Has anyone tried this? I felt that my Philips Fidelio X1 needed to be opened up a bit in the upper midrange. they sounded a little muffled. The pads on the X1 is very muted so I thought they needed something that reflected the sound a bit. I took plain paper and taped together. I have just done this, and feel that they are opening up just the way I wanted. Maybe this could be a method that one might develop with different materials to modify the sound in different headphones by using different damping or reflekting materials depending on the desired effect.

I think more and more how much ear pad design affects sound. it would be great if there were ear pads that you can change the inside to get different sound types. or if the producers invested more in different varieties of ear pads like Oppo has done.

Sep 21, 2014 at 2:20 PM Post #4,960 of 5,962
I just got these and upon getting them, I listened to them on my phone. In short, they sounded pretty crap - veiled and lifeless. Then I hooked it up to a DX90 and O2 and I was really amazed. No more bloat and very fast now. I absolutely get all the praise now. Amping is an absolute must, and it better be pretty powerful, or else you will get a flabby and veiled sound. 

Off to try them with my NAD M51 and Violectric V200 :D

I use X1 directly from ibasso DX90. I have Lurker0 latest driver. I sometimes think that it sounds a bit veiled on the X1. do you think it is big a difference with and without your headphone amp?

Sep 21, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #4,964 of 5,962
Anyone have a clue what to do about a pad slowly pulling away from the base? :frowning2:

It's really minor, but I dunno what to do to prevent it from spreading. Small layer of superglue around the rest maybe? I don't care about that one spot, I just don't want it to get worse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back