[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Aug 28, 2014 at 8:51 AM Post #4,921 of 5,962
  Look at the end of my cable measurements & impressions post: http://www.head-fi.org/t/623013/new-philips-fidelio-x1/4320#post_10475263

lead resistance isn when you ground both the red and black meter cable? mine is 0.8.

Stock Cable:
ground to ground  - 1.8 ohms
ground to terminal 1 loop - 1.7 ohms
ground to terminal 2 loop - 1.8 ohms
ground - terminal 1 through left driver - 35.0 ohms
ground - terminal 2 through right driver - 34.8 ohms

I also used the sony extra cord, which has 1.4 measure -.08 = .06 omhs resistance? I can only notice a slight tightness in bass, nothing more. details and reproduction of everything from lows to high are pretty much all the same.

gold plated 1.0m auxilary 3.5m-3.5m cable, $1.80 from a mobile phone accesory shop.
ground to ground  -  0.8 ohms
ground to terminal 1 loop - 0.8 ohms
ground to terminal 2 loop - 0.7 ohms
ground - terminal 1 through left driver - 32.8 ohms
ground - terminal 2 through right driver - 33.1 ohms

also have a non gold plated for 1$ it measure mostly 3.4~3.5.

Aug 28, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #4,922 of 5,962
Oh my god

These headphones are amazing! Haven't listened many songs yet but listened some deadmau5 and they really blew my mind just using stock cable and onboard audio. Compared them to my razers megalodon (overpriced crap) and I have never realised how flat they're.
I'm not sure if I should try them with another cable or not just using onboard audio as jodgey4 stated that it matters more when using amp. The test would cost like 10 bucks tops though. How does the cable affect the sound anyways?

I'm currently very happy with onboard audio (motherboard asus M4A87TD/USB3) but would xonar dgx change the sound by alot? I'm not really interested buying it if the change is minor. 

Thanks for all your help guys!
Definitely recommending these headphones! 
L3000.gif

Aug 28, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #4,923 of 5,962
  gold plated 1.0m auxilary 3.5m-3.5m cable, $1.80 from a mobile phone accesory shop.
ground to ground  -  0.8 ohms
ground to terminal 1 loop - 0.8 ohms
ground to terminal 2 loop - 0.7 ohms
ground - terminal 1 through left driver - 32.8 ohms
ground - terminal 2 through right driver - 33.1 ohms

Thats good enough I think. Bass & kick tightness improvement is what You should hear. Maybe it`s related also with DAC and AMP but my X1 had also improvement in overall clarity.

I'm currently very happy with onboard audio (motherboard asus M4A87TD/USB3) but would xonar dgx change the sound by alot? I'm not really interested buying it if the change is minor. 

I haven`t had good match with onboard audio yet. Depending on DAC/AMP sound improvement could be very noticeable.
I don`t remember exactly atm but I think xonar dg had pretty high output impedance, though not so good match. Someone correct me if I`m wrong.

Aug 28, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #4,924 of 5,962
  Thats good enough I think. Bass & kick tightness improvement is what You should hear. Maybe it`s related also with DAC and AMP but my X1 had also improvement in overall clarity.

but my stock cable isn't the updated one ins't it? I'm using the fiio e07k for the moment which adds more bass and treble to the already warm sounding X1? (not familiar of which term is correct) and (my onboard has really bad emi pickup) , I'm still waiting for the e11k or an updated version of the e17 to become available here in my area. If they dont match pretty well with the X1 then I'm probably getting a jds amp. well the e07k fits perfectly for my mdr 1r's sound profile and is portable so no waste there.

@panzo - try listening to it using a more neutral/flat amp (not familiar with all the terms), as the X1 is already warm? so a pairing of clean and distortion free amp would be be better (oboard has serious distortion, and you might already be used to listening to it thats why it sounds normal). with a serpate dac/amp outside of the pc or laptop there is little distortion and emi(noise) so you can listen to lower volume with more clarity and detail, also safer rather than going high volume and damaging your ears permanently (I think :/).

Aug 28, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #4,925 of 5,962

I haven`t had good match with onboard audio yet. Depending on DAC/AMP sound improvement could be very noticeable.
I don`t remember exactly atm but I think xonar dg had pretty high output impedance, though not so good match. Someone correct me if I`m wrong.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/PhilipsFidelioX1.pdf Still aimed at Panzo btw... Not to get too scary-science-y on ya, but do you see in the 'Electrical Impedance and Phase' graph where the pink line raises up? With a higher output impedance (amp+cable), you're getting less control on these regions and more bloating (which means excess volume and less detail). You generally want the output impedance (amp+cable) to be at least 1:8 of your cans or smaller. The Xonar DGX will provide more power and clarity certainly (it did for me and my brother), but the 30 ohms output impedance could cause some bloating. It's about one of the cheapest upgrades you can do though, soundcards are usually a good value b/c you've already paid for the power supply via your computer, and they're quite mass produced which makes them real cheap. Though, if you're patient, upgrading to a set-up with a dedicated amp section for lower impedance headphones would be best.

Aug 28, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #4,926 of 5,962
I'm finally getting hang of it (the meaning for cable switching and amping).
As I said I'm currently very happy with just onboard audio + stock cable but will eventually upgrade to amp so I could get the best out of them.
Thanks for being newbie friendly and explaining everything so a guy like me could understand!
No more stupid questions from me (except when I come back in future and ask help buying an amp) 
beyersmile.png

Aug 30, 2014 at 5:27 AM Post #4,927 of 5,962
My stock cable was measured at 1.8, I replaced it with a flat aux cable that came with a jabra bt speaker, only 0.7. Ordered one from ebay but hasn't arrive yet.

After 1 month of use I can only say great things about the X1. The pads are extremely deep and comfy and does not trap heat.

I never burn in my headphones, Instead I listen to them normally and notice the change over time. After about 30 hours of playtime, I've noticed a more controlled bass. mid and high remains pretty much the same. What I love most about the X1 is how natural it sounds, some people confuse clarity with overly sharp highs, but in the X1 at no point I felt the highs being piercing, despite the volume (I listen at 70%) and acoustic EQ. 

Aug 30, 2014 at 9:35 AM Post #4,928 of 5,962
"acoustic EQ" - why is that needed? 

Aug 30, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #4,929 of 5,962
  My stock cable was measured at 1.8, I replaced it with a flat aux cable that came with a jabra bt speaker, only 0.7. Ordered one from ebay but hasn't arrive yet.

After 1 month of use I can only say great things about the X1. The pads are extremely deep and comfy and does not trap heat.

I never burn in my headphones, Instead I listen to them normally and notice the change over time. After about 30 hours of playtime, I've noticed a more controlled bass. mid and high remains pretty much the same. What I love most about the X1 is how natural it sounds, some people confuse clarity with overly sharp highs, but in the X1 at no point I felt the highs being piercing, despite the volume (I listen at 70%) and acoustic EQ. 

Just wondering also, acoustic eq for the purpose of what? btw 70% volume from what gear? mobile phone? straight out of an amp or desktop you brain will turn into liquid.

Aug 31, 2014 at 5:49 AM Post #4,930 of 5,962
Mostly I listen straight from iPhone 5S. I also have the E07k but the X1 sounds just fine without it. When amped, I remove the EQ, and set it on +4bass and +2treb, mid gain.

I use the X1 with Spotify app. I don't know if it something from the app or the music while streaming (supposedly all songs streams at 320kbps), but sometimes it sounds weak. The acoustic eq in spotify is subtle and gives it a bit of that v-shape sound which I'm used to, just a matter of taste I guess.

Sep 12, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #4,932 of 5,962
I started contributing to this thread some 2 years ago and now after 4 pairs of broken X1's feel this is my last post on the subject.

In simple terms The X1's are a great sounding phone used with an  upgraded cable. ( Silver plated high purity copper seemed to strike the best balance in my system ) They are Exciting  Dynamic Slightly Coloured and Forward sounding.  Rock and Pop seemed to suit the phones and they are a bit Grado like without some of the colouration..  They suit best a low output impedance amp as it seems to control the base better.

However and its a big However they are Not in my opinion Robust Enough for long term use.  I have broken 4 pairs in the last 2 years ( 3 within warranty which wast refunded by Phillips without issue)

Having pulled a busted pair of X1's apart recently and the input socket is very poorly designed and constructed which is where most problems have happened in my pairs.  They are very prone to mechanical damage from over tensioning the internals of the socket and of course seem to be unrepairable when the internal connecting fingers get damaged.

So just a word of warning The X1's are great while they work !!!

Just to say i have changed cables on all my Sennheiser models including HD580  590 600  650 and 800's and also AKG Q701 and Denon AD7100's.So I think I know by now what's what with Headphone cables and sockets. 

So thats the end of Phillips X1's for me.  Shame as I  did enjoy the music while it lasted !!!I

Anyway always more headphones to try !!!

Sep 12, 2014 at 6:46 PM Post #4,933 of 5,962
Just to say i have changed cables on all my Sennheiser models including HD580  590 600  650 and 800's and also AKG Q701 and Denon AD7100's.

Then why don`t You change socket or mod it to last long? Sorry but I think it`s more about how you use your cans and take care of them. I have taken my X1`s open and they seem to be built quite ok and haven´t had any issues with my X1 build quality. 

Sep 13, 2014 at 12:39 AM Post #4,934 of 5,962
  I started contributing to this thread some 2 years ago and now after 4 pairs of broken X1's feel this is my last post on the subject.

In simple terms The X1's are a great sounding phone used with an  upgraded cable. ( Silver plated high purity copper seemed to strike the best balance in my system ) They are Exciting  Dynamic Slightly Coloured and Forward sounding.  Rock and Pop seemed to suit the phones and they are a bit Grado like without some of the colouration..  They suit best a low output impedance amp as it seems to control the base better.

However and its a big However they are Not in my opinion Robust Enough for long term use.  I have broken 4 pairs in the last 2 years ( 3 within warranty which wast refunded by Phillips without issue)

Having pulled a busted pair of X1's apart recently and the input socket is very poorly designed and constructed which is where most problems have happened in my pairs.  They are very prone to mechanical damage from over tensioning the internals of the socket and of course seem to be unrepairable when the internal connecting fingers get damaged.

So just a word of warning The X1's are great while they work !!!

Just to say i have changed cables on all my Sennheiser models including HD580  590 600  650 and 800's and also AKG Q701 and Denon AD7100's.So I think I know by now what's what with Headphone cables and sockets. 

So thats the end of Phillips X1's for me.  Shame as I  did enjoy the music while it lasted !!!I

Anyway always more headphones to try !!!

you breaking 4 pairs of the thing is the problem not the headphone, take a pic and post the socket you broke.

Sep 13, 2014 at 5:42 AM Post #4,935 of 5,962

you breaking 4 pairs of the thing is the problem not the headphone, take a pic and post the socket you broke.

Sorry Headphones are gone to the great recycling trash center  so no pictures I'm afraid. But would not have been easy showing socket finger distortion anyway.

These phones are the only ones that I have broken in many years of Headphone use. So I'm sure its a problem with this headphone design or I've been really unlucky with 4 pairs of the same phones.

Thankfully I'm only down on the cost of one pair, as the rest were returned under warranty.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back