[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Jun 8, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #4,531 of 5,962
Just bought iBasso DX50 for my Fidelio X1. Will share impressions when I receive it :wink:

Jun 8, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #4,533 of 5,962
  Just bought iBasso DX50 for my Fidelio X1. Will share impressions when I receive it :wink:

Yes please share your experience (which I'm sure you will :)

I'm considering either iBasso or Fiio.

Jun 9, 2014 at 4:56 AM Post #4,534 of 5,962
According to this post X1 should pair with well with 1.2.8 firmware (supposedly bug-free) because X1 bass department will "balance" out "weak" bass with 1.2.8 FW: http://www.head-fi.org/t/701351/ibasso-dx50-debate-on-the-sq-of-each-firmware/30#post_10241332
Only thing I`m little "worried" about is soundstage and clarity compared to 1.2.5 FW and rockbox. But these differences should be quite little. But we will see... I hope my unit has already 1.2.8 FW installed.

Jun 10, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #4,537 of 5,962
I've had the E17 paired with X1 for close to a month now, using two sources: HP laptop and my phone.  About 75% of my listening is spent on Spotify and the rest is on a mix of ripped WAV and MP3 formats.  For my personal taste, I think the X1 sounds great plugged in directly.  Someone mentioned using X1 for acoustic listening--I certainly would agree for me.  I love listening to live acoustic soundtracks and the X1's are wonderful.

With the E17, much of the music I listened to were even better (but not all).  I switched back and forth to make sure I wasn't psyching myself out.  The soundstage was a bit more prominent on the live acoustics and there was more clarity especially on the vocals.

Regarding the stock cable...I wanted to throw in my own experience which is why i'm really replying here (I just wanted to mention all the above stuff because i'm loving my X1/E17 pair
biggrin.gif
).

I didn't notice anything bad out of the audio with the stock cable...no static or anything.  Using the mediabridge cable, I did feel that there was a noticeably better clarity (although I I think it's just a smidge of difference, not so much of a huge difference).  I'm simply a consumer enthusiast right now, so i can't really comment on the more technical aspects other than what others have already mentioned in this thread.

Jun 10, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #4,538 of 5,962

I didn't notice anything bad out of the audio with the stock cable...no static or anything.  Using the mediabridge cable, I did feel that there was a noticeably better clarity (although I I think it's just a smidge of difference, not so much of a huge difference).  I'm simply a consumer enthusiast right now, so i can't really comment on the more technical aspects other than what others have already mentioned in this thread.

It does 'tighten up' a little bit, but I think it's also more treb-ly, which I don't really care about. I keep thinking why would Philips do this, was it intentional? I think it might be.

Anyways, I'd like to test it further, but I am in love with the default cable; it's so... comfortable and light-weight and of great material.

Jun 10, 2014 at 2:20 PM Post #4,539 of 5,962
It does 'tighten up' a little bit, but I think it's also more treb-ly, which I don't really care about. I keep thinking why would Philips do this, was it intentional? I think it might be.

I think it`s not intentional because stock cable quality (impedance) is very vary according to user measurements/auditioning: http://www.head-fi.org/t/623013/new-philips-fidelio-x1/4320#post_10475263

Jun 10, 2014 at 4:10 PM Post #4,540 of 5,962
  I think it`s not intentional because stock cable quality (impedance) is very vary according to user measurements/auditioning: http://www.head-fi.org/t/623013/new-philips-fidelio-x1/4320#post_10475263

Oh goodness...nice visual guide.  I'm actually tempted to measure mine...I just remembered that I have a DIY-DMM from four or five years ago, so no need to buy! 
biggrin.gif

Well, when you put it that way, I'm actually glad it's removable and easily replaceable.  What if someone doesn't like the sound of it?  BAM--change the cable.  But then again, the more effective method would be to just use a DAC/Amp or something...

Jun 10, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #4,541 of 5,962

Well, when you put it that way, I'm actually glad it's removable and easily replaceable.  What if someone doesn't like the sound of it?  BAM--change the cable.  But then again, the more effective method would be to just use a DAC/Amp or something...

True, but I don't find it that dramatic anyways, so it's not a huge difference (to my ears). I use a V-Moda Boom Pro mic when I'm using on my PC anyways, so I only use stock when playing PS3 because the V-Moda is not long enough and I prefer not having the mic sticking out when couch-chillin'.

If someone knows a different cable that is of the same quality as the stock, I'd certainly get it, but let's face it... that stock cable is very nice.

Jun 11, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #4,542 of 5,962
Hello all,

Just chiming in about my recent Fidelio X1 purchase. I bought them "Used - Like New" from Amazon Warehousedeals. You can get them in various degrees of condition including: Used - Good ($171), Used - Very Good ($177), and Used - Like New ($180).

Anyway, the Like New really is as is it described. I couldn't tell the difference from a brand new set. See pics below. The only blemishes I could see was on the box itself. One corner was slightly dented and there was a small 1.5 cm hole on the side. The headphones are in perfect condition. Just thought I'd share my experience since you can save a bit by browsing the Warehousedeals. Prime shipping too!

BTW, I measured the resistance of the cable. 1.8 ohms, so no change there.

Nice!  I just ordered a "used - like new" set of X1's from Amazon Warehouse last night.  Got a nice discount off the regular price, free shipping, and also had a $35 amazon gift card to boot!  Can't wait for them to show up!  I believe it was the last pair of "used - like new" that they had.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back