[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Jun 14, 2014 at 11:59 AM Post #4,562 of 5,962
  Does the FiiO E6 enhance the sound enough for 30 euro's?

Nope. It will be better though. You want something with USB input possibly.

Jun 14, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #4,564 of 5,962
  What about the FiiO E07K? Is that one worth 90 euro's to improve the sound of the X1?

Can't say but I'd rather go for the E17 then. Or better yet, the Schiit Magni/Modi stack... Or even a cheap A-GD unit, like the NFB11.
If I were on a tight budget, I'd buy the one on Ebay though, for around 20$, seems like a very good basic unit...

Jun 14, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #4,565 of 5,962
Btw, I'm noticing a very annoying problem. I noticed that the bass is more noticable on the right driver than the left. 

And I did download sineseg, and made a tonesweep, and it's still on there.

Jun 14, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #4,566 of 5,962
  Can't say but I'd rather go for the E17 then. Or better yet, the Schiit Magni/Modi stack... Or even a cheap A-GD unit, like the NFB11.
If I were on a tight budget, I'd buy the one on Ebay though, for around 20$, seems like a very good basic unit...

Hey man, I can't get the ELE EL-D02, but I can get the D01 version. Is there a lot of difference between the two dacs?

Jun 14, 2014 at 2:20 PM Post #4,567 of 5,962
  Hey man, I can't get the ELE EL-D02, but I can get the D01 version. Is there a lot of difference between the two dacs?

01 is just a DAC, 02 is also an amplifier. DAC is identical.

Jun 14, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #4,569 of 5,962
  But I just want the highest possible sound quality, volume is not an issue. 

An amplifier is only for volume right?

Without an external amplifier you'd be using the laptop's integrated amplifier

Jun 14, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #4,571 of 5,962
Wow.  A lot of communication in a short time (or maybe this is normal haha).

I would personally recommend the E17 just because i'm enjoying it...and it's the only DAC/Amp I have.  But it looks like you're leaning towards that ELE.  Enjoy. ^_^

Jun 14, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #4,572 of 5,962
  Does that have an effect on sound quality, or only volume?

Sound quality as well. To get the best out of your headphone you want to have a decent DAC and amplifier.

Jun 14, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #4,573 of 5,962
  I am currently driving my X1 on my pc with a creative Z, but I think its not enough and I want to upgrade the soundcard.

Will the phoebus suit my pleasures, as a gamer/electro music listern?

Oh hell yeah!  I have the Asus Phoebus ROG.  I haven't had ANY trouble with it and it drives my X1 just fine. Although, I did buy a desk headphone amp because I sometimes want to listen to my Beyer's DT990 250 ohm.  The Phoebus is *supposed* to be able to drive phones upto 600 ohm resistance, but nevertheless I saw a noticeable bump in clarity when playing through my Fiio E09K.

Jun 14, 2014 at 8:45 PM Post #4,574 of 5,962
I am currently driving my X1 on my pc with a creative Z, but I think its not enough and I want to upgrade the soundcard.

Will the phoebus suit my pleasures, as a gamer/electro music listern?

I was going to power my X1's with a sound blaster Z, but haven't picked up the sbz yet. What don't you like about it? Anyone else run into issues with the sbz?

Jun 14, 2014 at 11:38 PM Post #4,575 of 5,962
I was going to power my X1's with a sound blaster Z, but haven't picked up the sbz yet. What don't you like about it? Anyone else run into issues with the sbz?

I'm not sure what he means by "not enough" - I assume it was just the never ending pursuit of "flawless" audio and matching it to your individual tastes. I very much liked the combination for the most part, enough to keep it for my desktop.

It was great for the majority of the music I play (Electronic-ish, pop, etc). It might have had slightly boosted (and maybe loose for some people) bass signature by default, but it also comes with a software EQ to change that. It was certainly better than my onboard audio. The only real complaints I ever had were with regards to the virtualized headphone surround sound. I play old video games (Counter Strike: Source, which came out over a decade ago...) that relies on hardware accelerated sound which is no longer supported on modern operating systems... Getting it to work flawlessly (well... close enough) took a lot of research and trial and error. I wouldn't really blame the soundcard for that though. I might try out an X-Fi Titanium HD later on if I ever find one for cheap (I think CMSS-3D might work better with that game).

The drivers are also kind of annoying. I had an old creative soundcard installed at one point, and the old drivers were interfering with the sound. I actually needed to do a driver clean to remove the old creative software properly. There's a thread here on Head-Fi for the Sound Blaster Z/Zx/ZxR cards. I suggest you read part of that. 

The microphone it comes with is pretty terrible too... Might as well replace that from the get go. I threw mine away and will probably replace it with a V-Moda BoomPro Mic later on if I ever feel the need to get chatty. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back