[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Jun 13, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #4,546 of 5,962

Enjoy!!!  These things are such a treat for the price.

I better hope they perform well for their €215 euro pricetag.

Because if they don't sound good, I'll immediately return them.

Don't wanna be disappointed again like when I bought the AKG K540 2 years ago.

Judging cans with onboard soundcard and little burn-in is not smart thing to do. Difference between onboard and separate DAC/Amp can be pretty huge. Haven`t done comparing between my onboard HD Audio VS. my external DAC`s with X1 but I know the jump from onboard HD Audio to Aune T1 or even cheap ELE EL-D02 DAC/Amp made a pretty huge difference in sound. Doesn`t really matter which cans You use, difference is still quite big. Imo X1`s require at least 150h burn-in time with little amping to sound to its best.

Jun 13, 2014 at 2:05 PM Post #4,547 of 5,962
  Judging cans with onboard soundcard and little burn-in is not smart thing to do. Difference between onboard and separate DAC/Amp can be pretty huge. Haven`t done comparing between my onboard HD Audio VS. my external DAC`s with X1 but I know the jump from onboard HD Audio to Aune T1 or even cheap ELE EL-D02 DAC/Amp made a pretty huge difference in sound. Doesn`t really matter which cans You use, difference is still quite big. Imo X1`s require at least 150h burn-in time with little amping to sound to its best.

Thanks for posting that nice bit about onboard vs DAC/Amp!  I was actually hesitant to say anything because i'm not confident about it.  From personal experience and threads i've read, I also think that laptop sound cards likely will not perform well despite the headphones used...but I'm not confident to say it because I haven't gone through a bunch of laptops with different sound cards to test it out for myself.

My laptop was originally $1600 and has a label that says something along the lines of "HD Audio by Beats" (didn't really care for it at the time of purchase).  After stepping into this world of high quality audio, I expected the X1 to sound well on its own with the laptop, but the audio output actually sounds like it's coming from a cheap knock-off compared to using the E17.  Makes a world of difference...either the E17 performs really well for my ears or my sound card just really sucks.

Jun 13, 2014 at 2:21 PM Post #4,548 of 5,962
  I better hope they perform well for their €215 euro pricetag.

Because if they don't sound good, I'll immediately return them.

Don't wanna be disappointed again like when I bought the AKG K540 2 years ago.

You know...I visited a audio store here in SoCal this past weekend (Shelley's Stereo).  They have a ton of Grado and Audeze headphones (also saw some Yamaha's on the side).  I came in looking for another set of headphones that had a different signature than the X1's and I thought I might find something enjoyable with the Grado's.  I so enjoyed the PS225 and even more so the PS500...

But the person helping me reminded me of something important: it's all about synergy.  Doesn't matter what headphones you have...if the rest of your equipment doesn't work well with it, the audio won't sound well either.  So if the X1's sound terrible out of your laptop, I say don't easily dismiss the headphones but perhaps look at a DAC/Amp...unless your budget affords only headphones for now.

With that said, I do hope your X1 sounds wonderful off your laptop...not betting it will, but I do hope.
biggrin.gif

Jun 14, 2014 at 5:28 AM Post #4,549 of 5,962

You know...I visited a audio store here in SoCal this past weekend (Shelley's Stereo).  They have a ton of Grado and Audeze headphones (also saw some Yamaha's on the side).  I came in looking for another set of headphones that had a different signature than the X1's and I thought I might find something enjoyable with the Grado's.  I so enjoyed the PS225 and even more so the PS500...

But the person helping me reminded me of something important: it's all about synergy.  Doesn't matter what headphones you have...if the rest of your equipment doesn't work well with it, the audio won't sound well either.  So if the X1's sound terrible out of your laptop, I say don't easily dismiss the headphones but perhaps look at a DAC/Amp...unless your budget affords only headphones for now.

With that said, I do hope your X1 sounds wonderful off your laptop...not betting it will, but I do hope.
biggrin.gif

What cheap amd/DAC do you recommend that I can buy in the Netherlands? Because I can't buy the ELE EL-D02 in the Netherlands.

Jun 14, 2014 at 5:44 AM Post #4,550 of 5,962
eBay?
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_clu=2&_fcid=146&_localstpos=&_stpos=&gbr=1&_nkw=ELE+EL-D02&_sop=15

Jun 14, 2014 at 6:20 AM Post #4,551 of 5,962
  eBay?
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_clu=2&_fcid=146&_localstpos=&_stpos=&gbr=1&_nkw=ELE+EL-D02&_sop=15

I don't trust ebay. It needs to be a legit webshop from the Netherlands.

For example, I can get the FiiO series here, but they're way too expensive for me as of right now. 

Jun 14, 2014 at 6:31 AM Post #4,552 of 5,962
Then it`s Your trust problem. ELE is cheap as dirt and even if You don`t get it for some reason from eBay, then it`s no lost to wallet imho.

Jun 14, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #4,554 of 5,962
So I've been listening to them for around 10 minutes right now with the onboard of my laptop. As of right now, they come off as shouty, but they're not bright. So they're shouty sounding, while being smooth. I don't really like that.

Detail, clarity and separation just isn't good for the price. It's good if they were like 80 euro's. But that's perhaps because I'm not using an amp/DAC.

Jun 14, 2014 at 10:30 AM Post #4,555 of 5,962
So I've been listening to them for around 10 minutes right now with the onboard of my laptop. As of right now, they come off as shouty, but they're not bright. So they're shouty sounding, while being smooth. I don't really like that.t

Detail, clarity and separation just isn't good for the price. It's good if they were like 80 euro's. But that's perhaps because I'm not using an amp/DAC.

Out of a laptop/integrated sound card jack, 90% of hi-fi headphones will sound like crap.
Without a basic DAC/amp or a decent soundcard I wouldn't bother personally...

Jun 14, 2014 at 10:51 AM Post #4,557 of 5,962
Any good amp/DAC you can recommend for the laptop and gaming on xbox 360 that isn't expensive?

Xonar U3 for PC, astro Mixamp/Turtle Beach DSS/station for consoles.
Or Recon 3D for both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back